Magnus8's Canna Cream, Body Butter & Canna Lotion Study Hall

Where can I get pumpkin seed oil. I am using grape seed oil and soy wax then add peppermint. It works a little less greasy would be nice.

Hi Smokey. You can get pumpkin seed oil from any good soap and lotion supply store. One of my favourites I'd Windy Point Soap Supplies down in Calgary. This is my favourite shop right now because they have a ton of good points about them.

Voyageur Soap and Candle out of BC.

New Directions Aromatics might well carry it as well (this place has the best essential oils in probably all of Canada)

But stay far away from Saffire Blue out of Ontario. They have good products oftentimes but they tack on a lot of extra charges for no bloody reason. I have stopped using them except for one product which I cannot get anywhere else. But I have moved most of my purchases over to Windy Point out of Calgary.

If you cannot find them for some reason just give a shout and I'll give you their number.

Straight pumpkin seed oil will absorb beautifully but if you want a bit of moisturizer in there I'd suggest you do 2 parts pumpkin seed oil and one part grapeseed oil which you can pick up in most grocery stores.

Does this help some?

If you do decide to try the pumpkin seed oil I'd love to hear whether you feel there is any difference in the rate of relief from any symptoms between using pumpkin seed oil as opposed to other oils.

One more thing is I would drop the wax out of the equation if I were you. Though wax creates a thicker medium, wax can also act as a barrier between all those cannabinoids we want so badly and our skin hence absorption. Yes, the efficacy of the medium might be compromised by the wax. I dont know if that is happening in your case but you might be able to create a more effective oil without it.

Just a suggestion.

All my best,
~Magnus

Hello 420.

I was just wondering if anyone was still following this thread at all. Maybe enough info was given and discovered throughout the time of this thread that maybe we dont need any more posts on this thread.

But I wanted everyone to know that I am still following this thread and so if anyone is looking for some helpful advice I'll try my shot at it as long as you can post here.

All my best
~Magnus

I'm here. I'm retired and I'm willing to learn. Please teach us how to make a lotion. That's what you were going to do before you left. :love:

I'm here. I'm retired and I'm willing to learn. Please teach us how to make a lotion. That's what you were going to do before you left. :love:
Aha!!!

Hey, that's a GREAT idea, HG.

Nice to see you're still here...

I will definitely get right onto that.

The lesson might have to be broken up into several parts though, not that it's a very long process but because it is a precise process (to a degree).

All my best,
~Magnus

This:

Did you know that pumpkin seed oil has a sunblock built right in? The rate at which it blocks the sun's Ray's depends upon many things like growing conditions and handling conditions but I have made sunblock with this oil by producing lotion with only this oil. Absorbs beautiful. No greasy feeling. Great blocking action. Those two summers we used my sunblock we never burned once. I've actually been thinking of adding that sunblock lotion to my lineup of products that I sell at markets and on Etsy.

But it's great to hear you reply, Dynamo. Glad you are still around.

All my best,
Magnus

And, this:

="HashGirl] I'm here. I'm retired and I'm willing to learn. Please teach us how to make a lotion. That's what you were going to do before you left. :love:

This is definitely something I would be interested in, Magnus and I'm sure I'm not the only one. :adore:

And, then there was this: :(

But stay far away from Saffire Blue out of Ontario. They have good products oftentimes but they tack on a lot of extra charges for no bloody reason. I have stopped using them except for one product which I cannot get anywhere else.

Last time you were active on this thread, you recommended Saffire to me and that's who I've been buying from and now you're telling me I shouldn't order from them? What changed? :hmmmm:

But I have moved most of my purchases over to Windy Point out of Calgary.

If you cannot find them for some reason just give a shout and I'll give you their number.

Straight pumpkin seed oil will absorb beautifully but if you want a bit of moisturizer in there I'd suggest you do 2 parts pumpkin seed oil and one part grapeseed oil which you can pick up in most grocery stores.

Does this help some?

If you do decide to try the pumpkin seed oil I'd love to hear whether you feel there is any difference in the rate of relief from any symptoms between using pumpkin seed oil as opposed to other oils.

One more thing is I would drop the wax out of the equation if I were you. Though wax creates a thicker medium, wax can also act as a barrier between all those cannabinoids we want so badly and our skin hence absorption. Yes, the efficacy of the medium might be compromised by the wax. I dont know if that is happening in your case but you might be able to create a more effective oil without it.

Just a suggestion.

All my best,
~Magnus

I use pumpkin seed oil in my topicals, too. I also love that it absorbs more quickly although I was never bothered by greasiness with sweet almond oil, which is also what I was using. I've also used apricot seed oil and grapeseed oil.

I initially started with grapeseed oil, I think because @Chris Scorpio used in his pain cream recipe but then I think you, Magnus, suggested sweet almond oil so that was my go to for a long time but then some of the people I supply with cream complained about its greasiness so that's when I went looking for something less greasy.

So, thank you for the wisdom you've imparted so far and I'm eager to learn more.

:Namaste:

This:

And, this:

This is definitely something I would be interested in, Magnus and I'm sure I'm not the only one. :adore:

And, then there was this: :(

Last time you were active on this thread, you recommended Saffire to me and that's who I've been buying from and now you're telling me I shouldn't order from them? What changed? :hmmmm:

I use pumpkin seed oil in my topicals, too. I also love that it absorbs more quickly although I was never bothered by greasiness with sweet almond oil, which is also what I was using. I've also used apricot seed oil and grapeseed oil.

I initially started with grapeseed oil, I think because @Chris Scorpio used in his pain cream recipe but then I think you, Magnus, suggested sweet almond oil so that was my go to for a long time but then some of the people I supply with cream complained about its greasiness so that's when I went looking for something less greasy.

So, thank you for the wisdom you've imparted so far and I'm eager to learn more.

:Namaste:
Hi HG,

Over the past few years Saffire Blue has instituted policies that are clearly designed to increase their profits without adding added value. They were apparently always three or more weeks behind so if you ordered today it would be at least three weeks before they would even pull your order. The surefire way around this? Pay them an extra $10 and they would "rush" your order. See? Almost everyone pays the ten bucks because the price is so low for the perceived value received. You get your stuff three weeks earlier!

But if everybody and his blind uncle too are paying the ten bucks, then why is there a three week backlog? And if there really is a three week backlog then why dont they hire more workers to slag through that backlog?

However you view it you have to come to the conclusion that they are overcharging us using this clever fear tactic.

I dont like them anymore. I did once, but not anymore.

Windy Point is a new company and I like their customer service very much. Always helpful. Their storefront has some thought put into it, something lacking in most soapmaking stores. All in all a much better outfit. And I didnt know of them when I wrote that earlier post.

All my best,
~Magnus

Lotion making Lesson #1 - Neutralizing Your Tools and Equipment

Good morning, 420family.

So the first thing we are going to learn is how to neutralize your tools and equipment for making lotions.

We are NOT learning how to sterilize our tools we will be using in making out lotions. Sterilization is a process used when making lotions professionally like I do. For our own home purposes, neutralizing works just fine to prevent the introduction of bacteria in our concoctions.

You will need the following items.

- A clean table or counter.

- a clean medium sized towel large enough to cover your work station.

- 70% isopropyl alcohol. No, 91% or 99% cannot be used because they evaporate too quickly. Pour your alcohol into a spray bottle.

- a good cooking thermometer. One of those digital ones works nicely.

- Several spoons.

- Several spatulas.

- 3 containers for measuring all of which are microwaveable. Mason jars with wide mouths work nicely.

- A couple of containers you want to put your finished lotion into. These may have either a pump or an opening large enough for a popsicle stick which you would use to get the lotion out of the container. But pump bottles work best. Either way your containers should have lids.

- A stick or immersion blender.

Ok. So the first thing to do when making a lotion is to neutralize all your tools and equipment.

You do thus by spraying your isopropyl alcohol all over the surface of your stuff.

First of all, wash your hands properly, meaning using soap and washing constantly while singing Happy Birthday to yourself twice in a row. Any less and you wont kill all the bacteria on your hands and you must have hands clear of bacteria for this job.

So clean your hands properly and then, using your isopropyl alcohol, coat the surfaces of your tabletop or counter where you will be working.

Lay your towel down and spray the surface of your towel until it is slightly damp.

Then take each piece of equipment and spray it fully down including any handles.

70% isopropyl alcohol will take some time to evaporate, remaining on the tools until all the bacteria is dead. So leave your equipment to dry overnight. We will be making lotions tomorrow, not today.

So that is the simplest explanation I can come up with for how to neutralize your equipment. I hope it helps. Neutralizing your equipment is essential to creating a successful lotion. If you dont do this step properly you might wind up with mold in your lotion rendering it useless and dangerous.

So ruminate on that. I think the next lesson will be on oils and butters you could use to make your lotions.

All my best,
~Magnus

Hi Magnus, I hope you are well. I was wondering how your book project is going? Thanks, Kelly
Hi Kelly,

To be honest, this past year has been filled with such trauma that I havent written a single word on either of my two book projects.

Last summer I had three different dogs die on me (and I was extremely close to two of them) AND my wife left me, ostensibly because she couldn't deal any longer with my medical issues. On top of that, my new puppy was hit by a car just a couple of weeks ago.

This last year has been devastating to me. Not the right recipe for creative endeavours.

Are you keeping well?

All my best,
~Magnus

Just catching up on some of my old subscribed threads after a long absence! Glad to see you revive this thread Magnus, as it's where I got most of my topical pain oil-making tips. A few quotes along the way:
decarb your weed at 240° F for 27 - 30 minutes
I would go with a minimum of 60 minutes, and as I recall, SweetSue used to recommend 110ºC for 110 mins.
Isnt that pumpkin seed oil just perfect for absorbing the cannabinoids? I keep advocating for its use but many didnt take my advice. I keep thinking that if they would just try it they would be absolutely hooked.
I make my oil from just 50/50 grapeseed and pumpkin seed and it has a great mix of spreadable and absorption.
Dud you know that pumpkin seed oil has a sunblock built right in?
I can't find any science to back that one up. Do you have a link for that info? Even on the "natural oil" websites there is no mention of pumpkin seed oil on their lists of SPF. And even they often come with a disclaimer that says something like "never rely solely on natural oil to prevent UV damage..."

Hello Magnus and all good people who contributed to this thread, it truly is a wealth of knowledge and information…

I have been making infused creams, lotions, tropicals and oils for many years now and I’ve noticed reading through this thread and few others around that I do things a bit different, both in the way of extraction and preparation of some products…

I’m no expert by any means and what I’ve learned so far was from collectives of people like this one around the web, medical research data and my own trial and error, a lot of elements and protocols I’ve been using came from this forum actually and our fallen brother in herb Jim aka Cajun that once lit the fire in all of us I’d say…

I’ll list few things that I’ve found to work for me and reasons why I’m using them, some constructive feedback from all you nice and smart people would be highly appreciated and would save me a lot of time catching up on every post in the last five years since I’ve last been here...

Extractions:

Rosin
I use low temp (80’C) full spectrum Rosin extract from fresh herb instead of decarbed CCO, that’s if I am infusing with extract and not directly into carrier oil.
Reason for this is retention of terpens, flavonoids and other volatile compounds that evaporate through solvent extraction or at higher temperatures during oven decarboxylation process. I’ve found that decarbing the extracts under pressure and below maximum boiling point retained much more terps and flavors while achieving full THC conversion…

Ultrasonic infusion
If infusing directly into carrier oil i use ultrasonic cavitation. Nothing fancy, just a 150€ ultrasonic cleaner with 3l capacity.
Reason for this is that mechanical method of extraction without using heat will preserve all the goodness that this wonderful plant has to offer and it will infuse it into our chosen carrier oil, since everything is happening below 30’C no volatile compound are lost in the process.
I don’t decarb this extract and it is a part of all my protocols with fantastic feedback over the years, it’s used in combination with fully decarbed thc extract and of course some CBD along for the rrid makes a whole lot of difference as we all know by now…

Components:

Liquid sunflower lecithin.
Im using it because it's just a miracle when applied in cosmetics. It will not only protect those valuable cannabinoids and other compounds we’ve worked so hard to extract and preserve but it will also transport what we need way past epidermis through lipid bi-layers and eventually past cellular membranes. For lecithin to be an effective part of any protocol, certain conditions have to be achieved so it can either form liposomes or phytosomes of which the latter is of more interest to us. Liposomes are great and all, they will encapsulate our precious medicine and transport it through lipid bi-layers and cellular membranes but up to a certain point, the problem is molecular size and lipid properties of oils which are just to big to pass through lipid bi-layers in most instances. Phytosomes on the other hand have a much smaller molecular mass and their permeability is greatly enhanced both through GI system and epidermis...

Aloe Vera extract.
Even on it's own it works wonders rejuvenating our skin and it's even better when combined with phospholipids, I haven't seen many people using it in their formulations or I might just missed those threads...

That's some of the important elements in my opinion and I'm sure we'll discus more of them in the future, for now I'd really appreciate some feedback as I'm about to make another batch of medicine tomorrow and I'd love to know if I can improve it in any way...

I'll be infusing pumpkin seed oil with decarbed (87% THC) and acidic form of rosin with addition of 25% high CBD oil, that will provide one third 30% of the total volume, ratio of lecithin should be equal or grater than the substance that we're trying to encapsulate so I add 40% of total volume, 15% pure aloe vera extract, 5% purified organic beeswax pallets and 5% ethyl alcohol. All the substances will be heated to combine and cooled down to under 32'C so maximum encapsulation can be achieved when mechanical agitation is introduced, ultrasonic cavitation should be used ideally but for this purpose I'll use a hand blender with a whisk attachment as it has proven to achieve almost complete encapsulation (over 80%) and is way cheaper for home use.
Aqueous properties of aloe vera and 5% ethanol in solution are sufficient to create phytosomes that are fully charged with our carrier oil and ready for absorption either through epidermis or GI system...

That's it folks, hope I gave you something interesting to think about and some rapid feedback is more than welcome...

RB

Hello Magnus and all good people who contributed to this thread, it truly is a wealth of knowledge and information…

I have been making infused creams, lotions, tropicals and oils for many years now and I’ve noticed reading through this thread and few others around that I do things a bit different, both in the way of extraction and preparation of some products…

I’m no expert by any means and what I’ve learned so far was from collectives of people like this one around the web, medical research data and my own trial and error, a lot of elements and protocols I’ve been using came from this forum actually and our fallen brother in herb Jim aka Cajun that once lit the fire in all of us I’d say…

I’ll list few things that I’ve found to work for me and reasons why I’m using them, some constructive feedback from all you nice and smart people would be highly appreciated and would save me a lot of time catching up on every post in the last five years since I’ve last been here...

Extractions:

Rosin
I use low temp (80’C) full spectrum Rosin extract from fresh herb instead of decarbed CCO, that’s if I am infusing with extract and not directly into carrier oil.
Reason for this is retention of terpens, flavonoids and other volatile compounds that evaporate through solvent extraction or at higher temperatures during oven decarboxylation process. I’ve found that decarbing the extracts under pressure and below maximum boiling point retained much more terps and flavors while achieving full THC conversion…

Ultrasonic infusion
If infusing directly into carrier oil i use ultrasonic cavitation. Nothing fancy, just a 150€ ultrasonic cleaner with 3l capacity.
Reason for this is that mechanical method of extraction without using heat will preserve all the goodness that this wonderful plant has to offer and it will infuse it into our chosen carrier oil, since everything is happening below 30’C no volatile compound are lost in the process.
I don’t decarb this extract and it is a part of all my protocols with fantastic feedback over the years, it’s used in combination with fully decarbed thc extract and of course some CBD along for the rrid makes a whole lot of difference as we all know by now…

Components:

Liquid sunflower lecithin.
Im using it because it's just a miracle
when applied in cosmetics. It will not only protect those valuable cannabinoids and other compounds we’ve worked so hard to extract and preserve but it will also transport what we need way past epidermis through lipid bi-layers and eventually past cellular membranes. For lecithin to be an effective part of any protocol, certain conditions have to be achieved so it can either form liposomes or phytosomes of which the latter is of more interest to us. Liposomes are great and all, they will encapsulate our precious medicine and transport it through lipid bi-layers and cellular membranes but up to a certain point, the problem is molecular size and lipid properties of oils which are just to big to pass through lipid bi-layers in most instances. Phytosomes on the other hand have a much smaller molecular mass and their permeability is greatly enhanced both through GI system and epidermis...

Aloe Vera extract.
Even on it's own it works wonders rejuvenating our skin and it's even better when combined with phospholipids, I haven't seen many people using it in their formulations or I might just missed those threads...

That's some of the important elements in my opinion and I'm sure we'll discus more of them in the future, for now I'd really appreciate some feedback as I'm about to make another batch of medicine tomorrow and I'd love to know if I can improve it in any way...

I'll be infusing pumpkin seed oil with decarbed (87% THC) and acidic form of rosin with addition of 25% high CBD oil, that will provide one third 30% of the total volume, ratio of lecithin should be equal or grater than the substance that we're trying to encapsulate so I add 40% of total volume, 15% pure aloe vera extract, 5% purified organic beeswax pallets and 5% ethyl alcohol. All the substances will be heated to combine and cooled down to under 32'C so maximum encapsulation can be achieved when mechanical agitation is introduced, ultrasonic cavitation should be used ideally but for this purpose I'll use a hand blender with a whisk attachment as it has proven to achieve almost complete encapsulation (over 80%) and is way cheaper for home use.
Aqueous properties of aloe vera and 5% ethanol in solution are sufficient to create phytosomes that are fully charged with our carrier oil and ready for absorption either through epidermis or GI system...

That's it folks, hope I gave you something interesting to think about and some rapid feedback is more than welcome...

RB
Hi Jim,

Very informative post. I'm very glad you wrote some of your methods of extraction out for us to understand.

I think what I notice is that you have access to specialized equipment that most of us dont have. The rosin press, for instance. It isnt many people that actually own a rosin press because those who dab are in the minority of users, I'd imagine. So most of us, myself included, dont have a rosin press though I certainly can see advantages to owning one. Using it to extract almost pure CBD and thc for topical applications is a brilliant idea. Hats off to you!

As for the ultrasonic cleaner, again a great idea, but some of us are not in a position to drop 300 bucks on one. Therefore we use the slow cooker to extract our precious cargo with. Sure, the rage right now us to preserve turpene but there comes a point when you have to choose turpene over CBD. My money goes onto extracting the cbd and be damned with the turpene because I have no control over them.

Many of us already do use liquid lecithin in our formulations. You must have missed that during your readings in this thread. And yes, I agree that lecithin can be helpful. Your explanation of just how was very instructive.

Aloe vera works great on burns and abrasions but I dont know much research that supports taking it topically apart from attempting to heal a patient. It is, however, a brilliant addition to your diet. I think you might find that aloe vera gel/juice to be more beneficial to you if you ingested it.

Just saying.

I'm not trying to bust yer balls here. Just trying to address the reasons that others might not do things similarly to you. I gotta admit, if I had the money I'd be getting me a press for myself lickety split!

Alas, that ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

All my best,
~Magnus

I'm okay. I'm having a hard time, actually. I feel incredible amounts of stress these days.

My contesting of my father's estate is going well enough but there have been big stressors in this case. As well, my lawyer has been legally negligent in my case. His inaction is going to cost me greatly because now we have to go to court and the cost of going to court is much greater than that of negotiating a settlement. As such, my lawyer has depleted greatly the principle available to me.

So I am seriously thinking of suing my lawyer in civil court.

Plus I'm supposed to be moving but cannot make any definite plans due to my father's estate taking so long to settle - again, because of my lawyer. So I've got the lady who currently owns the trailer I want to buy threatening every third day that she is going to put it back on the market if I dont move my ass and either show up with a down payment or the full payment. And I cannot blame her. If I were in her shoes I'd be doing the same thing...

So life is a tad bit stressful right now. But I'm still above ground and kicking it so I guess that says something.

So hope all is well with you all, too. Keep her heads up.

All my best,
~Magnus

Sorry to hear that Magnus don't let it get you down. You have Greta your plant are doing good things will workout in the end. I know the stress I am the executor of my mom's will and just getting to the end soon i hope. It's been the better part of two years and I just want it behind me.

Oh ya FUCKING LAWYERS THERE SCUM OF THE EARTH!

remember you have friends here :passitleft:

Reason for this is retention of terpens, flavonoids and other volatile compounds that evaporate through solvent extraction or at higher temperatures during oven decarboxylation process.
This being a topical cream, oil, and body butter thread I'm not sure the preservation of terpenes and other volatile compounds are the focus. Quantity of cannabinoids seems to be the most important aspect of a topical application rather than the stuff that usually floats away.

That post would definitely find a home in the Oil Study Hall thread though!

I just bought 1 litre of apricot seed oil, 1 litre of pumpkin seed oil and 1 litre of Neem oil. I'm going to make to make some pain cream but I'm also going to see if I can create a mosquito repellent with the Neem oil and some essential oils like citronella.

I bought it from the supplier that Magnus didn't recommend because the one he did recommend was sold out of Neem oil and the shipping was a little cheaper at Saffire, too.

Back
Top Bottom