Magnus8's Canna Cream, Body Butter & Canna Lotion Study Hall

I posted a question on 420Magazine and AngryBird refered me to this post. Wow, read through all the pages and a lot of good information.

I have been using Emu oil in the past for salves since it is often used alone for pain. But after reading this entire post, I would like to try a mixture of pumpkin seed oil and grape seed oil based on Magnus8's posts. Would someone recommend the proportions of the two oils to use for best absorption through the skin?

I have made dry ice hash out of my trim by shaking the trim up in a bucket with dry ice to break off the trichomes and then sifted it through a 160 micron pollen bag (not sure the leaf material is of much use if I collect all of the trichomes). I would like to mix in the dry ice hash as it will have less odor and be repeatable for future mixtures since it is nearly 100% pure THC/CBD/Terpines. I have over 5 grams of the Harlequin hash which is nearly 100% pure and have decarbed it at 240F for 1 hour and 20 minutes (I have test data to support this is 100% decarbed). I also have about 10 grams that is not de-carbed made from predominately all THC strains. My decarbed hash is Harlequine which is 3:2 CBD:THC. My plan is to mix 2 ounces of Pumpkin/Grape seed oil with 290mg CBD, 115 mg THC and 150 mg THC-A. Maybe also mix 5% to 8% bees wax (?) but may leave out the bees wax.

In the past I have been trying to copy the effects of the best commercial salve I have found which is EMU Black Medicated Rub (one ounce has 120 mg CBD and 60 mg THC) but like the thoughts I have read on Pumpkin Seed and Grape Seed oils with some THC-A added).

Looking for relief for arthritis.

Best Way To Make A Healing Salve with Emu Oil
I'm with dynamo in the no-beeswax club. I use 50/50 pumpkin seed and grapeseed oil. In addition to rubbing it into the sore spot, make sure you rub it into the spot at the base of the neck where the spine meets the cervical vertebrae. That area is called the Medial Dorsal Rami and it's where all the nerves from the body meet on their way to the brain.

I'm with dynamo in the no-beeswax club. I use 50/50 pumpkin seed and grapeseed oil. In addition to rubbing it into the sore spot, make sure you rub it into the spot at the base of the neck where the spine meets the cervical vertebrae. That area is called the Medial Dorsal Rami and it's where all the nerves from the body meet on their way to the brain.

Thanks InTheShed and dynamo1. My last batch of Emu Oil Medicated Rub used 7% beeswax. I think I will make this batch with no beeswax (and the 7% had only a very small impact on the stiffness of the end product). I have also read that Grape seed oil helps arthritis all by itself, so I think I will go 50/50 with Pumpkin seed oil and grape seed oil. I bought both oils so I might make half 50/50 and the other half with 100% pumpkin seed oil to see if I can tell a difference. So, in a 2 ounce jar of room temperature oil, I will add 290 mg CBD, 115 mg THC and 150 mg THC-A.

It sounds like this will end up being a liquid at room temperature. Do you think I will need some of those stainless Steel Roller Ball bottles to easily dispense the product? I also wonder if the THC/CBD kief will dissolve into the oil or if it will settle to the bottom of the container (it dissolves in Emu oil for sure)? Should my quantities of THC/CBD/THC-A be increased or ratios changed?

Interesting point on the Medial Dorsal Rami InTheShed. I will keep that in mind.

Thanks InTheShed and dynamo1. My last batch of Emu Oil Medicated Rub used 7% beeswax. I think I will make this batch with no beeswax (and the 7% had only a very small impact on the stiffness of the end product). I have also read that Grape seed oil helps arthritis all by itself, so I think I will go 50/50 with Pumpkin seed oil and grape seed oil. I bought both oils so I might make half 50/50 and the other half with 100% pumpkin seed oil to see if I can tell a difference. So, in a 2 ounce jar of room temperature oil, I will add 290 mg CBD, 115 mg THC and 150 mg THC-A.
It sounds like this will end up being a liquid at room temperature. Do you think I will need some of those stainless Steel Roller Ball bottles to easily dispense the product? I also wonder if the THC/CBD kief will dissolve into the oil or if it will settle to the bottom of the container (it dissolves in Emu oil for sure)? Should my quantities of THC/CBD/THC-A be increased or ratios changed?
Interesting point on the Medial Dorsal Rami InTheShed. I will keep that in mind.
I have found the roller ball bottles terrific if you need oil anywhere beyond the confines of your house! I have one on my desk at work at all times.

If it's 50/50 and no emu it will definitely be liquid. I have no experience with emu oil so I can't help you there. The thing to do would be to decarb the bud you want to be THC and CBD, then add it to the bud you want as THCa, and infuse that combo in the oil mixture. I infuse small batches in the oven in a jar for 8 hours around 170ºF stirring every 30 minutes or so. Larger batches I do in the Magical Butter machine.

When it's all done I strain it through a double layer of cheesecloth, squeeze out as much as I can, and then store it in the a bottle in the fridge. I keep about 8 ounces out in a smaller jar for home use and then a few roller bottles scattered around.

I don't use any acid form of the buds so I don't know on that, but I do know that I try to make my oil in the neighborhood of 15mg THC/ml oil.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

I have found the roller ball bottles terrific if you need oil anywhere beyond the confines of your house! I have one on my desk at work at all times.

If it's 50/50 and no emu it will definitely be liquid. I have no experience with emu oil so I can't help you there. The thing to do would be to decarb the bud you want to be THC and CBD, then add it to the bud you want as THCa, and infuse that combo in the oil mixture. I infuse small batches in the oven in a jar for 8 hours around 170ºF stirring every 30 minutes or so. Larger batches I do in the Magical Butter machine.

When it's all done I strain it through a double layer of cheesecloth, squeeze out as much as I can, and then store it in the a bottle in the fridge. I keep about 8 ounces out in a smaller jar for home use and then a few roller bottles scattered around.

I don't use any acid form of the buds so I don't know on that, but I do know that I try to make my oil in the neighborhood of 15mg THC/ml oil.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Thanks InTheShed. Wow, 15mg THC/1 ml of oil is 2.5 times stronger than I have seen anywhere commercially and more than 1.6 times my proposed recipe. I think I will add more kief to make mine as strong as yours.

Someone on this thread said THC-A was a better anti inflammatory than CBD in recent studies so I thought I would add some of it to the mix since I have it available.

Thanks for the help InTheShed. I will take a look at it.

Yes, I can and will increase the strength of the recipe to meet 15mg/ml. Thank you for the help.

I made roller balls with an infused emu oil mixture but ended up abandoning them due to mess. I am using a combo of beeswax and candedlila wax with bisabalol for increased absorbancy through skin. Its a penetration enhancer. I also like to add some calendula and chamomille to my salve extractions.

Thanks InTheShed. Wow, 15mg THC/1 ml of oil is 2.5 times stronger than I have seen anywhere commercially and more than 1.6 times my proposed recipe. I think I will add more kief to make mine as strong as yours.

Someone on this thread said THC-A was a better anti inflammatory than CBD in recent studies so I thought I would add some of it to the mix since I have it available.
CBDA as a skin anti inflammatory is WAY under appreciated in my opinion.

Good morning.

So, I made some new pain cream yesterday as my sister wants some but stupidly used CB Dutch Treat, which is higher in CBD than THC instead of Hash Plant like I did previously, which is higher in THC than CBD. I say "stupidly" because it's not nearly as effective as the previous batch.

I was using Hash Plant because that was the strain we had the most of. I switched to CB Dutch Treat because that's the strain that we now have the most of. I wasn't even thinking about the whole THC/CBD thing. So, my question is, can I infuse the rest of my oil with Girl Scout Cookies, which is supposed to have 24% THC and no CBD and then add that oil to the cream and re-jig the other measurements?

Here is my recipe:

Ingredients (Weigh all ingredients):
  • 28 grams of beeswax
  • 22 grams of shea butter or 14 grams of cocoa butter
  • 10 grams of decarbed CB Dutch Treat
  • 274 grams of sweet almond oil including 174 grams infused with cannabis
  • and, still to be added – tea tree oil, peppermint oil and maybe lavender oil
Instructions:

• Decarb cannabis in the oven at 230F for 110 minutes.
  • Add 174g of the sweet almond oil to mini crockpot and decarbed cannabis. Stir off and on over 3 hours.
  • When the infusion is done, strain the plant material and then add 100 grams of uninfused sweet almond oil, the beeswax and shea butter.
  • Once it has melted, move to the fridge or freezer to see how well it sets.
  • If it’s too runny, re-melt it and add more ???

TIA (Thanks in advance spelled out for @Magnus8 if he's still out there somewhere)

Good morning.

So, I made some new pain cream yesterday as my sister wants some but stupidly used CB Dutch Treat, which is higher in CBD than THC instead of Hash Plant like I did previously, which is higher in THC than CBD. I say "stupidly" because it's not nearly as effective as the previous batch.

I was using Hash Plant because that was the strain we had the most of. I switched to CB Dutch Treat because that's the strain that we now have the most of. I wasn't even thinking about the whole THC/CBD thing. So, my question is, can I infuse the rest of my oil with Girl Scout Cookies, which is supposed to have 24% THC and no CBD and then add that oil to the cream and re-jig the other measurements?

Here is my recipe:

Ingredients (Weigh all ingredients):
  • 28 grams of beeswax
  • 22 grams of shea butter or 14 grams of cocoa butter
  • 10 grams of decarbed Hash Plant
  • 274 grams of sweet almond oil including 174 grams infused with cannabis
  • and, still to be added – tea tree oil, peppermint oil and maybe lavender oil
Instructions:

• Decarb cannabis in the oven at 230F for 110 minutes.
  • Add 174g of the sweet almond oil to mini crockpot and decarbed cannabis. Stir off and on over 3 hours.
  • When the infusion is done, strain the plant material and then add 100 grams of uninfused sweet almond oil, the beeswax and shea butter.
  • Once it has melted, move to the fridge or freezer to see how well it sets.
  • If it’s too runny, re-melt it and add more ???

TIA (Thanks in advance spelled out for @Magnus8 if he's still out there somewhere)
You could add some concentrated thc oil, like rso, rather than doing a whole new infusion and having to refigure your ratios. I often do this in the reverse case to add extra cbd to an all thc batch. I just melt it into my oil phase. Looks like a great formula. I also make enough salve that i premix the oils i want, infuse them all, then freeze the oil for later use or finish my salve then freeze tins of salve for later.

You could add some concentrated thc oil, like rso, rather than doing a whole new infusion and having to refigure your ratios. I often do this in the reverse case to add extra cbd to an all thc batch. I just melt it into my oil phase. Looks like a great formula. I also make enough salve that i premix the oils i want, infuse them all, then freeze the oil for later use or finish my salve then freeze tins of salve for later.

Brilliant idea. I do have some CCO. It would definitely make it easier.

:thanks:

For those using Pumpkin seed oil: are you able to get it solidify? I recently made an infused oil - 1g to 1oz, with beeswax @ 12% and it’s thick, but runny.

Previous pain creams with CO or GSO and beeswax whip up into a nice stiff cream. Following Magnus' recommendation to use 5-8 % beeswax didn’t thicken the PSO at all. Went up to 12%, still no go.

For those using Pumpkin seed oil: are you able to get it solidify?
:thumb:I use pumpkin seed oil mixed with manuka oil, I don't try to solidify. I use a roller applicator and it is absorbed immediately. It is the thinness that allows the oil to penetrate skin.:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom