Mah Medical Grow

Well, Thanks Guys!

Moving right along, the crappy plants I almost killed are doing OK. Well, they're makin' a few budz and still have several weeks left, so I'm glad I didn't just kill 'em.

bad-plant-good-bud-2_1-21-10.JPG

bad-plant-good-bud_1-21-10.JPG

The Thai'Tanic is coming along nicely. 3 weeks in the flower room and what a difference. Just noticed a couple of the leaves "clawing". Any suggestions?

TT-Top_1-21-10.JPG

I just like the way this picture turned out. TT from the side.

TT-Side_1-21-10.JPG

TT-Side-2_1-21-10.JPG

Got a Milwaukee Ph 600 on its way so I can get a handle on keeping my Ph in the zone. Discovered my tap water is a bit basic, like 7.6 so white vinegar is in every gulp of water they get, unless they get some nutes - lowers the Ph a might, but it's something ya just gotta be sure of.

I hate fungus gnats. The nematodes seem to be helping, but they sure are annoying. Still filling up yellow sticky papers too fast. Reminds me. I gotta order some more of those - dammit!

BTW - the small Thai'Tanic I was sure was a male started popping out hairs so back to Veg land. Nice to know tho.

6 days later ... Here's the Thai'Tanic.

tt-1_-_1-28-10.JPG

Hard to believe it has filled out so well after only 6 days. Compare it with the images 2 or 3 up. Makes me wish they had a 600W light but maybe after a couple crops. We'll see how well the 400W does.

tt-1_2-side_view-1-28-10.JPG

Now for the next group in veg. I have used Happy Frog for the soil this whole veg stage, no nutes, and they are still growing like crazy. The stuff is pretty hot but they are strong and look great. 2 are Big Buddha Cheese and the other two are a couple of random seeds. 3/4 are female. Last one hasn't shown yet. But it is a random strain so who knows.

group_22.JPG

Here in an example of the mad growth on top.

mad_growth.JPG

Below is a pic of a really crappy plant - one of those I almost killed, that I just kinda threw in the flower room not expecting much. For a small plant in it madly blooming along with the others.

So_Cute_1-28-10.JPG

Looking like Ill at least have a few nice nugs from these poor mistreated plants.

bud-4.JPG

More later on.

Started up some of the seeds I grew (page-1) of the Short Stuff #1. They are a couple days old but nothing special to see - just 5 sprouts so I won't post any pictures of them for a little while. They look pretty much like any other sprout.

Sprouted them in paper towel and then into cups with around 60% Happy Frog & 40% Perlite. They seem to like that. The object is to get them as big as possible before they begin to flower. I am using semi-transparent cups inside of regular Kegger cups so I can keep an eye on root growth. I especially like this method for my clones so I can see when they need to be transplanted.

More later.

OK - here's the new batch of Short Stuff #1. I'll wait a month before posting more pics.

2-11-10_Short_Stuff_1.JPG

Here is the lone Thai Tanic just gettin thicker and longer. Main bud there is about 5" long or so. Solid too.

2-11-10_Thai_Tanic.JPG

Tonight will be the first long night for the two new ones in the flower room (below). These two were from mystery seeds. The Cheese has another week or two before they go in. There really are two there - just aligned with each other. Thick stemmed too.

2-11-10_next.jpg

Gonna get crowded in there. The crappy plants just put on a new burst of flowering after I gave them some nutes. The burst is tiny so far but noticeable.

Started clones off the bottoms of the Big Buddha Cheese and the mystery plants. I'd hate to miss out on an amazing mystery plant by not taking a clone early on. They're soaking tonight. Into the dirt tomorrow.

Updates:

I would do this for a profession for the rest of my life - if I could.

The Thai Tanic seems to be going strong. Well fed now.

2-20-10-TT2.JPG

Built myself a mist cloner. Had the mister and now I finally have a use for it. As it is somewhat experimental, you can see the regular clones in the background. Mostly BB Cheese.

Cloner-1.JPG

You can see a small drop of water on the tip of the stem, just like, I've heard, it's supposed to be. Gotta get the pH stabilized tho.

2-20-10-droplet1.JPG

Used a pond mister - cheap on ebay - The LEDs probly don't produce enuff light to be a factor.

Cloner-2.JPG

The Mystery seed plants in the flower room are bunching up nicely after only 9 days.

9-days-flower_room.JPG

A little closer. They should be bursting with hairs in a couple days.

They're a bit over 2 feet high.

Next-9-days_in.JPG

My crappy plants are still moving along though I think I might terminate them soon to make room for the BBC. Makin a few nice nugz tho. Couple of them waited until now to turn a nice purple.

2-20-10-purp-1.JPG

The Short Stuff #1 from the seeds on page 1 are doing great. The first one, only 3" high, a week ahead of everyone else, is showing female after the second set of 5-finger leaves. Kinda still hoping for only 1 male so I can do some seeds again, though I still have plenty from the last batch. Would also like to make some Short Cheese and Short Thai Tanic - just for fun ... maybe ...

2-20-10_Short_Stuff_Update1.JPG

Maybe crappy to you but you have a nice setup. Are u a gardener for a living? seems to know a lot about cloning and germination.

Well, as evidenced by my earlier disasters, I am definitely not a professional. This is actually more of a hobby. I have read a lot and now I am doing it. Grew a couple back when I attended Humboldt Univ. in the 70's, but they hardly count (though they were tasty). I have mostly learned from my mistakes and seem to be on an even keel now.

I would love nothing better than to tend plants as a profession but the struggle for the legal tender must go on if I intend to pay the bills.

Cloning is not so tough if you just make sure to mist regularly until they are out of shock, and keep them warm (75-85°F). The cloner was just kind of a fun project - took less than an hour to build - just have to watch the pH pretty close. If you look above at the first cloner image, the one in the furthest right was just a chunk of stem with a couple of leaf node sprouts. It is the first of the group to make roots. The others are more or less a couple experiments (the whole cloner is actually) and have not rooted yet but I didn't really expect them to root quickly as they were unhappy before I cloned them.

This is just plain fun, besides making good medicine for myself and 3 other patients and I love to experiment. Can't wait to start outdoors this summer.

I am soooooo sad. My biggest healthiest plant, of mystery heritage, turned Hermaphrodite on me. What a waste. It's already in the trash can. If it was a varietal I mighta let it screw itself in another part of the house under a CFL, but it was an unknown.

Went ahead and eliminated the 2 clones I took from it. They had just rooted too.

Well, gonna take a few more clones from the Cheese and start up some Double-Dutch Fem seeds I got from a friend last night. Should be entertaining. Help me get over having to savage that bush.

The first of the Short Stuff to show sex is about 5" tall now. Seems to be growing somewhere around .75" per day all of a sudden, mostly inter-nodal. 4 more to go.

When I built that mist cloner, I didn't have much to put in it as I already had a bunch going at the time. But I did have a chunk of stem with a couple of leaf node sprouts coming off it so I dipped it in a little Root-tone and stuck it in the cloner. It was the first one to sprout roots after about a week. So you can see that just about any piece of these plants can be cloned.

stemsprout.JPG

So the short stuff is about 8" and the flower is coming along under 20/4.

2-28-10ShortStuff-.JPG

The Mystery plant is about 17 days into the flower room, the buds are starting to form. Didn't want to raise the lights so I bent the tops. They are responding well. Leaf-node buds have turned to the light as has the top as you can see in the background. Didn't seem to shock it at all.

2-28-10mystery-17day_2.JPG

Yanked a bunch of the crappy plants. They are all trimmed up and hanging. Not worth a picture. First one that I yanked a little while ago (the tiniest) yielded a whopping 6g of relatively airy buds. The others should be a little better - maybe. Wasn't expecting much from them anyhow.

The harvesting made room for the second Big Buddha Cheese since it just hit 24" today. The 3 big green plants look kinda like a hedge. I moved them to the back of the room. They are looking real happy in there.

Short Stuff about 9" already and gettin a little hairy. I can hardly believe it - 5/5 females. Last one showed hairs today. Fun stuff.

Shot a couple pics. Too late tonight. I'll post em tomorrow.

They seem to start great in a cup of straight Happy Frog Jumpstart, then I add more perlite to the HF and transplant into 1 gal - after about 3-4 weeks they go into 2-gal with more of the Happy frog. They seem to love it and I transplant before they run out of nutes from all the goodies they put in there. PH stays pretty stable and by the time they go into the flower room (about 24"), I start them on light Tiger Bloom. The happy frog has so much good stuff in it, you don't really need the veg nutes. I added some a couple times and each time they burned up a couple lower fan leaves so I mostly just let 'em go with the stuff in the soil. They grow about an inch a day in veg under 20/4. Easy-Peasy. Made my own soil mix when I first started out - what a mistake. They doin great now.

So here's some pics.

21 Days in the flower room. Buds, buds, everywhere.

3-4-10_3-weeks.JPG

They've taken over the back wall.

3-4-10-Hedge.JPG

Short Stuff #1 now the Big 9-inch.

3-4-10-ruler.JPG

This Thai Tanic is just bursting out new growth - recovering from being a little starved.

3-4-10--bursting.JPG

And this one is so nice and sugary. Smells so sweet.

3-4-10-sugared.JPG

Well, all the abused plants are finished. Ended up with about 45g total. I really didn't expect half that, but even crappy plants can make some awesome buds. They are really sweet and smooth and sticky. Most are still curing but I've tasted a couple. Each one tastes different.

Then it happened. My Thai Tanic went hermie. Such potential. I'm pretty sure I stressed it out. Then I found a little flower on a lower obscure branch with a banana that had already spewed its load.

3-9-10-boyparts.JPG

Here is the offending hermaphrodite. I think I coulda grown a dozen of these in my yard. They blend in well - but too cold out now.

3-9-10-plucked.JPG

Of course it was right in front of the fan. Maybe a few seeds in this round, but not too many. Pretty early flowering on 2 of the girls in there, though the third is going on 25 days in and pretty hairy.

Oh well. They'll be fem seeds anyhow - if there are any. Herms are freaks and I might get lucky and it won't have viable pollen - yeah, right.

So here's a few pics of the rest of the room. Here's the gang in veg. Sprouts 'n clones

3-10-10next.JPG

And in the flower room - the one on the right has been in 27 days. Got buds all over it.

3-10-10-thegirls.JPG

Mystery seed - 27 days in.

3-10-10-mystery_seed.JPG

I hate this lighting. Really quite green and vibrant as you can see above, but not bad for about 4 weeks.

3-10-10myst-2.JPG

Short Stuff is up about 10.5" now.

3-10-10-SS1.JPG

And my busy little cloner.

3-10-10-cloner.JPG

Thanks Miranda. It is a labor of love. Meds for me and 2 others (one 58 and another 78 yrs old). Helps a lot with MS and Chronic Joint Pain from Arthritis.

If you get any males you might try makin' seeds on the lower buds of yer ladies.

I'll continue to update as long as someone is interested. Helps me keep track of dates too like when I move plants into the flower room. I always forget how long they've been in there otherwise. Gotta be sure to be prepared for the final weeks.

The two plants next to the Short Stuff are about 2-weeks behind.

I also just started some Short Stuff Blue Himalayan and I have a Thai Tanic Male I am gonna cross to the SS #1. The TT has a long flowering period and I am hoping it'll allow the SS to bloom a little longer but stay little - plus the TT has an awesome smell and taste. Quite unique. Should be a fun experiment.

Thanks - any suggestions welcome.
Plants with too much yellow above were the last of my abused plants. Everything green now. Shooting pics under the HPS makes for some weird colors. Then corrected with auto-levels in photoshop gets it closer to reality but still some weird colors. Everything pretty green and healthy now. Doesn't really take much effort.
Temps go from 60-75 usually.
pH is under control now. Have to adjust all my water as it's 7.4-8.0. Use dry acid.
I use a soil moisture meter that seems to get it right on. Also lift bags/pots sometimes to be sure its ready for water.
Using Grow Big or whatever the heck it is nutes in veg and Tiger Bloom for flower usually about every other watering
Been using Happy Frog for soil from seedling through flower. I move em up to 3 gal bags about 2 weeks before they go in the flower room. Hardly have to feed them at all. Start them with light Tiger Bloom a couple weeks into flowering.

I like to keep it relatively simple and I expect these next plants to be my best. I'm hoping I'm through making mistakes - but that was what the first grow was for.

Back
Top Bottom