Maher Needles NORML

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Bill Maher is "a little disillusioned" with NORML.

Maher, who is on NORML's Advisory Board, tells an interviewer:

"I’ve always said, one of the reasons there’s been so little progress on the marijuana front is that what the movement needs more than anything is some kick-ass, take-no-prisoners, Karl Rove-type lobbyist, you know? And that just never happens, because it’s all a bunch of stoners. You got to get up for that 8 a.m. breakfast meeting with the congressman on Capitol Hill!"

Radical Russ, who runs the Audio Stash site and is NORML's outreach coordinator, takes issue with Maher:

"Gee, Bill, thanks for the help. We’ve got NORML Chapter volunteers who drive an hour or two to get to their state capitals by 8 am for those breakfast meetings with representatives, senators, and assemblypersons at the state level. We’ve got Keith Stroup working in close contact with Reps. Barney Franks’ and Ron Paul’s offices at the federal level. We’ve gotten the first marijuana legalization bills introduced in California and Massachusetts and 13 medical marijuana states and 13 decriminalization states all from “kick-ass, take-no-prisoners” lobbying. We’ve got activists who don’t get paid a dime to collect signatures, write letters, and march in protests to show Americans 'there really aren’t any cons' to marijuana legalization. You know, just 'a bunch of stoners.'”

Todd McCormick, who co-produced the recent THC Expo in Los Angeles, defends Maher and his assessment of NORML:

"NORML is about to celebrate (really?) their 39th year in business, but I have to ask my fellow activists: do you really think that 40 years of being in business in a mark of success? I see it as failure; I see it as old stale ideas being tried over and over by the same old men holding onto their egos and little positions of power. The reason MPP is hosting parties in the backyard of one of the founders of NORML is because NORML has not got the organizational capabilities of doing it themselves. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Well, my friends, I think it’s time we demand term limits on the directors and get some fresh ideas and direction in this organization or do we really want to be here in another 38 years wishing NORML was not so normal?"

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: CelebStoner.com
Copyright: 2009 CelebStoner

That is a tough one. Norml has done a lot of good things for a lot of folks.

Bill like myself, is probably just frustrated that we seem to be constantly just played and strung along until the authorities make us accept everything on their terms with the usual quotient of rules and regulations.

in my short time here as a member, i have seen MPP alot,and ive seen LEAP several times, but if it wasnt for the NORML commercial (that i seen here at 420mag,and not on my tv) they have been purdy much been non-existent. not tryin to fan any flames ... just an observation ...:peace:

I think norml is doing a fair job with the spreading of local chapters and helping local activists form chapters. National norml; you guys an even Maher have some fair points

I just wish he wouldn't call them out in the press. Then the activist community becomes the story instead of the cause. Heck, I'm even affected by it; I'm commenting on it now;)

Money talks, bullshit walks. Karl Rove gets paid to do what he does, he's no volunteer. If Maher wants a Rove type, why doesn't he cough up the dough? Better yet, why is it that potheads can't even find a $10 bill to contribute every year? 15 million potheads x $10 each = $150 million operating budget. A lousy $10 bill out of pocket would help tremendously. Less than $1 per month. But potheads are such pikers that NORML operates on an annual budget of less than $million per year. Christ, the CEO of the Girl Scouts makes almost half that in salary. For enough money we could probably have Rove himself. Ah well, never going to happen, cheap potheads have a list of rationalizations and excuses why they shouldn't even cough up the cost of a package of chewing gum every month to change the law.

I hear you, but I do think some people are donating to the cause. I know I am ;)

This site costs money to run as well; yet we're free for all who wish to spread the positive message of Cannabis awareness and/or learn how to grow.

Donate to the cause my friends, whatever you can spare; time, effort, or money.

We'll win this fight together.

Please Help Support 420 Magazine

Bill Maher is "a little disillusioned" with NORML.

Maher, who is on NORML's Advisory Board, tells an interviewer:

"I've always said, one of the reasons there's been so little progress on the marijuana front is that what the movement needs more than anything is some kick-ass, take-no-prisoners, Karl Rove-type lobbyist, you know? And that just never happens, because it's all a bunch of stoners. You got to get up for that 8 a.m. breakfast meeting with the congressman on Capitol Hill!"

Radical Russ, who runs the Audio Stash site and is NORML's outreach coordinator, takes issue with Maher:

"Gee, Bill, thanks for the help. We've got NORML Chapter volunteers who drive an hour or two to get to their state capitals by 8 am for those breakfast meetings with representatives, senators, and assemblypersons at the state level. We've got Keith Stroup working in close contact with Reps. Barney Franks' and Ron Paul's offices at the federal level. We've gotten the first marijuana legalization bills introduced in California and Massachusetts and 13 medical marijuana states and 13 decriminalization states all from "kick-ass, take-no-prisoners" lobbying. We've got activists who don't get paid a dime to collect signatures, write letters, and march in protests to show Americans 'there really aren't any cons' to marijuana legalization. You know, just 'a bunch of stoners.'"

Todd McCormick, who co-produced the recent THC Expo in Los Angeles, defends Maher and his assessment of NORML:

"NORML is about to celebrate (really?) their 39th year in business, but I have to ask my fellow activists: do you really think that 40 years of being in business in a mark of success? I see it as failure; I see it as old stale ideas being tried over and over by the same old men holding onto their egos and little positions of power. The reason MPP is hosting parties in the backyard of one of the founders of NORML is because NORML has not got the organizational capabilities of doing it themselves. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Well, my friends, I think it's time we demand term limits on the directors and get some fresh ideas and direction in this organization or do we really want to be here in another 38 years wishing NORML was not so normal?"

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: CelebStoner.com
Copyright: 2009 CelebStoner

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REPLY TO THIS POST BELOW

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, let me repost that quote which was at the bottom of the above post.

"The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world." - Carl Sagan

Now, after reading the entire thing, and then coming across that quote at the bottom, I would like to say......

How can anyone even post that quote after slamming NORML, who has been very much involved in the reforming of marijuana laws for (yes a very long time) 38 years.

How many other organizations can say that they have been working on this issue for this long? You have to consider the fact that there was no internet, or online social networks, and that it was much more difficult to spread awareness. Why slam an organization just because they have been working on this issue for a lot longer than just about everyone else? This is a lot more work to be done, since we still have the feds raiding homes in the states where law reforms have been passed.

Advocates, Organizations, and people like Bill Maher (Bill, be more proactive in your role on the Advisory Board, and attend more of the NORML events maybe?!) need to WORK TOGETHER. We already have a war being waged against us by the US Government on a federal level to say the least, and we definitely can not afford to have contention and strife amongst US, meaning all advocates, organizations, and supporters.

Again:

"The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world." - Carl Sagan

And I would like to highlight 'fellowship' within that quote above.

Also, as far as the hosting of a party at a founders home, you would need to see the full picture. If the party you are referring to is the one I am thinking of, let me point out that the party happened after TWO intense days of a legal conference, in which there were many speakers, and much discussion regarding law reforms (Bill Maher was absent).

Irritating - and no I am not a 'pot head', however, I am an advocate and I appreciate everything NORML has done and continues to do. NORML continues to grow, and I think that the blasting of such a dedicated organization, when the need for supporters to stick together more than ever, is just absolutely uncalled for.

:peace:

Back
Top Bottom