Maine 4-Season Greenhouse Grow

Something I've been pondering. Is there some way to shade outside photos so they think its time to flower?
Definitely doable, just depends on the size of the structure you have to shade. Problem with tricking photos in summer is the heat...if it's outside and you are covering it, it will be HOT. Maybe you could cover it late evening and remove later morning to avoid the worst of the heat?

Something like a plant in a box (like a greenhouse) but with a solid front and top that can be closed up to limit sunlight to 12 hours.

Sounds like what we call a "cold frame", but instead of a clear poly top you could use something opaque.

Hiya BlewHiller,

That bloody strain looks beastly! Yeah, and a great picture as well. Also nice to see the replacements at the ready! Great all around job!

Definitely doable, just depends on the size of the structure you have to shade. Problem with tricking photos in summer is the heat...if it's outside and you are covering it, it will be HOT. Maybe you could cover it late evening and remove later morning to avoid the worst of heat.
I think I'll have a few outside this summer, I'm gonna try to force an early flower in the summer and hope they dont reveg before the fall hits. But I still dont know how I'll do it... I think I'll use 10g fabric pots, that way I can just move it around. How big were your pots last year blew?

I think I'll have a few outside this summer, I'm gonna try to force an early flower in the summer and hope they dont reveg before the fall hits. But I still dont know how I'll do it... I think I'll use 10g fabric pots, that way I can just move it around. How big were your pots last year blew?
I got some Mandala Seeds which hopefully will flower/finish early...I don't have the time or energy to be covering/uncovering something daily.

My pots last summer were 10g for autos and 30/45g for the photos. I found the 10g overkill for autos (7g did just as well side by side). I might even bust out a few 60g this summer...I have plenty of VC.

My bro kept some of the ones I gave home in 3g pots and just move them from the GH to a utility trailer he had, and didn't do a precise job on the timing. They flipped to flower but he cut them down early with the mold paranoid. I'm doing some blueberry gum which seems to flower early

My bro kept some of the ones I gave home in 3g pots and just move them from the GH to a utility trailer he had, and didn't do a precise job on the timing. They flipped to flower but he cut them down early with the mold paranoid. I'm doing some blueberry gum which seems to flower early
The nice thing about big pots is that you aren't that tempted to move them! If I learned anything last year it was better ways to deal with rot! This year I plan to have multiple locations, more breathing room around the plants, a variety of genetics, plus the luck of the Irish!

The nice thing about big pots is that you aren't that tempted to move them! If I learned anything last year it was better ways to deal with rot! This year I plan to have multiple locations, more breathing room around the plants, a variety of genetics, plus the luck of the Irish!
You're going in the big house this summer? That should help with rot.

You're going in the big house this summer? That should help with rot.
Yes, I am going in both insulated GH's as well as the high tunnel. Maine has a new governor (thank goodness) and we'll see if they follow through on the proposed reduction from 6 to 3 flowering plants per adult.

I mentioned this before...I had a 4-year contract with the USDA and they sent me a letter saying "while legal in Maine, cannabis is still federally illegal" and then proceeded to say any use/cultivation by myself or ANYONE on the property would result in me having to repay all loans, plus penalties, immediately. I looked back in my original paperwork and, of course, there was no mention of this but since they have men with guns, I figured I'd wait. Now I am free and clear.

Ya need a bit of luck that's for sure.
I also learned a lot from my mistakes....I am actually thinking I might have started the plants too early...they got so big and I had to keep pruning them. My larger GH and hoop house has a higher ceiling than my my home GH (which was used for all my summer grows up till now) so maybe I can let them go without so much pruning...but then again you need a ladder for inspections and you definitely don't want them hitting the roof (which most of mine did last summer). I plan on using a fencing trellis to surround the plant and use it LST it into a bushier shape.

No but I've seen some good info here about it. I think you make a tea and foliage feed and it has anti mold properties.
I am trying to avoid getting into all the different applications....if I can set things up to be mechanically efficient (like spacing things so a breeze can move amongst them) then I prefer that route.

I am trying to avoid getting into all the different applications....if I can set things up to be mechanically efficient (like spacing things so a breeze can move amongst them) then I prefer that route.
Yeah the air circulation is a big key. My brother would blame alot if mold on moths... as they have dusty stuff on there wings and his theory was it really make a perfect spot for mold. And yes they get crazy big in the GH, and spacing is hard to judge at the start.

Yeah the air circulation is a big key. My brother would blame alot if mold on moths... as they have dusty stuff on there wings and his theory was it really make a perfect spot for mold. And yes they get crazy big in the GH, and spacing is hard to judge at the start.
It's possible to drag a 45g pot a few feet....the issue is when there are 2x as many pots in the space...they don't really want to be picked up and moved...I don't think a 45g would fit through a 36" door frame.

Back
Top Bottom