Maine 4-Season Greenhouse Grow

These are the days we live for through the winter!! Let's enjoy while they're here, lol!

Highya BH,

Is that some sort of Zen speech? Very poetic. Kind of like activities of daily living in a nutshell.

Oh, how's your ladies doing? Happy Smokin'

That was my haiku for Tropical Storm Isais :cheesygrinsmiley:

Haiku - A Japanese poem of seventeen syllables, in three lines of five, seven, and five, traditionally evoking images of the natural world.

Growing tasty buds
Fragrance wafting over me
Four Twenty Haiku

:peace: :love:

Pictures coming soonish, but the update is that my outdoor plants never really got going...still tiny and I attribute that to me not watering them. I was wondering if rain, of which we have had little, and whatever they could scrounge from the soil would be enough. It wasn't. Good to know and if I do that again I'll run a watering strip or similar. Would also dig them a proper 5-10 gallon hole and pre-fill with better soil. Maybe if they got a better head start they'd have done better.

The plants in the high tunnel are doing well and I checked them Friday and it seems only one (1) male amongst the 8, which are damn good odds. I'm going to wait another week to verify before I cull the one. The four (4) I have in the greenhouse are smaller but catching up. I've had plenty on my plate this summer: it's busiest year yet with the rentals on the farm and I've spent 200+ hours in June/July fabricating PPE for hospitals and schools. So the late and reduced-size growth plan this summer is working for me :). Will be interesting to see the final bloom and yield.

Stay safe out there people!

Highya BH,

Glad to get an update. You're fine, albeit busy! Have plenty of greenery to go through the winter!! Yeah, life is good!

I've been watering every other (sometimes every) day. Using compost tea for nutrients. That and all this glorious sun have made my ladies tall, and looking good. Cheers to your fall harvest. Happy Smokin'

Long days losing light
Trees and creatures sense the shift
Winter isn't far

20% males in the high tunnel which are good odds...second year in a row I got a mail 8 Mile from Manadala...could have been heat stress as we had some scorchers at a crucial time of their growth. Still, plenty in addition to the others elsewhere :cheesygrinsmiley:

We have had our busiest year yet at the farm with guests...most of them from NYC. I never liked cities but I am seeing a lot more people rethinking living there (but not nearly enough, and that's ok...we don't want too many coming our way). Homes are getting snapped up sight unseen and my friend's house got into a bidding war. Also heard from another friend that tractor sales at our local Kubota dealer are up 200%+...guess it is like a real life Green Acres where people are thinking they'll get back to the land and be self-sufficient. It's a good plan but it takes years. More important are establishing local goodwill and relationships...coming into town and remarking on the "laziness" of people won't win you much of either.

My haiku above includes myself....I am ready for the winter and people to be gone. My kids are remote learning this fall (and likely the year) so we have some cool projects scheduled for them. One is converting the screen porch (I posted it here) we built last winter into an insulated, wood-stove heated bunkhouse. This project is for my 11-year old and me, as he is a natural builder/tinkerer and loves thinking through all the possibilities. The initial design of the screen porch was exactly for this...I just didn't imagine it would be a year after I built it...but then again no one plans on a global pandemic. I got another delivery of rough hewn hemlock delivered yesterday in the barn and hopefully that will get a month or more of drying before winter. If I want another screen porch for the spring we should have enough to make it work. That, or we use it for a cook/shower shed like the Cabin. Always got to have options.

Hope you are all well and keeping busy.

:peace:

How interesting and good for you that this year is the busiest yet Blew. That's great! I'm glad your kids will be with you this school year too. Your kids will benefit more from this year than if they were "in" school. You always use sense in your projects, always a good thing to teach.

Hehe, New Yorkers, they show up in our beautiful rural places. I saw them in Vermont settling in in the 70's. Some of them make the energy change.

Yeah they are leaving the cities in droves, especially NYC. Seems something to do with stellar leadership of that mayor and how safe it is there...and not wanting to be shot by criminals running wild. I always hated that place. We used to have to do jobs down in NYC regularly and I DESPISED having to step foot into that cess pool of filth. The kicker was having to pay 16 bucks for a pastrami sandwich for lunch in Manhattan and being told it 7 bucks to add french fries to my 16 dollar sandwich. I don't miss that crap in the slightest!!

Sounds like you have a good plan for the year ahead Blew!! Hope you and the family enjoy the shifting weather!!

Yeah they are leaving the cities in droves, especially NYC. Seems something to do with stellar leadership of that mayor and how safe it is there...and not wanting to be shot by criminals running wild. I always hated that place. We used to have to do jobs down in NYC regularly and I DESPISED having to step foot into that cess pool of filth. The kicker was having to pay 16 bucks for a pastrami sandwich for lunch in Manhattan and being told it 7 bucks to add french fries to my 16 dollar sandwich. I don't miss that crap in the slightest!!

Sounds like you have a good plan for the year ahead Blew!! Hope you and the family enjoy the shifting weather!!
I don't know if there is such a thing a "well-run" city...NYC definitely isn't one of them. People weren't meant to live in a box surrounded by millions of other people. I accidentally let it slip the other week with someone leaving and said "have a safe trip to the shitty"....oops.

I'm feeling good about the kids being home. We tried hard to make the school reopening smart for our area but they pushed hard for childcare versus education or safety. It will be the biggest mass experiment in our area since all of this started....300 people in a 50,000 ft2 space 5 days a week. I don't regret making 250 barriers for the school, but the irony isn't lost that my kids won't be using them. I bought some super comfy slippers for my kids yesterday and said "here are your new school shoes!" They'll be zooming mask-less and comfortable at home while their classmates and teachers will be masked, mumbling, and stuck in the same room for 7 hours a day. Lunches getting delivered to the classroom to eat in their spaced seating, every other seat on the buses, 6-foot spacing in lines to enter the building, presenting a daily form for entry signed by their parents saying they have no symptoms...all I could think of as they were describing all of it was The Wall and how it seemed so dystopian. Remote looked pretty good after that.

Yeah we chose the same thing.....remote learning. We aren't going to have him doing that bullshit dance. We found early on just how ineffective modern education is and hold no delusions about what will be missed. Not to mention the 'indoctrination' that he will not be a part of.

Yeah we chose the same thing.....remote learning. We aren't going to have him doing that bullshit dance. We found early on just how ineffective modern education is and hold no delusions about what will be missed. Not to mention the 'indoctrination' that he will not be a part of.
I hope more people take this opportunity to rethink some of the accepted "norms". My kids miss their friends, but masked and 6-feet away isn't really that social, is it? We figure since they aren't constrained by all the daily bs we can use that time to do things we've always talked about together.

I hope more people take this opportunity to rethink some of the accepted "norms". My kids miss their friends, but masked and 6-feet away isn't really that social, is it? We figure since they aren't constrained by all the daily bs we can use that time to do things we've always talked about together.
None of this is or ever will be my norm. Forced isolation is a better term in my book.....of course I don't live in a city with millions in it (I have numerous times and never again). I'm just thankful I don't have any family in Seattle or Portland. Shits crazy as hell and you can't hardly find and actual reporting of it in the news. I suppose that sort of inaction has been the norm for a while.

I have learned to go by what doesn't get reported by the media than what does. And the fact so many people actually believe what they hear, shows me I need to be further and further away from them.

Shits crazy as hell
Definitely. My wife and I started laughing (dark humor) last night rattling off the current state of affairs: The Western US is on fire, 2 hurricanes targeting the South, global pandemic, record unemployment, evictions, polarized populace, and an asteroid to top it all off...
:oops:

Highya BH,

I saw a huge red cell on the doppler a few minutes ago, coming over where you are. Hope you survived without damage! We didn't get very much, so we're okay.

accepted "norms"
I'm one of those who lived outside the "accepted norms". Always like to do things my own way without considering what is the norm. Keeps things interesting!

Hope your sunfilled summer is going well ( that your ladies anr big, bold, and beautiful)! Mine are great. Happy Smokin'

Back
Top Bottom