Make-shift growbox

Jgmilly

Could a large trash bin be used as a growbox? I would like to modify a trash can with intake and exhaust, lights, and fans to use as a descrete grow box. I have a large pot for planting that will be placed inside the bin and still has a few inches in diameter of free space. The lights will hang from the center of the lid, rigged to adjust closer and further from the plant. For air movement I will be using pc fans as well as a cooling fan mounted in the side of the bin as an intake and a sun-screen-covered hole in the top of the lid to be used as an exhaust. My concern is the temps. Its a heavy duty plastic trash can and might retain a lot of heat. It will be lined with reflictive materials if that helps but Im still a bit worried about it. Do you think it will work? Why/Why Not? Super newby here so please dont poke fun, but constructive criticism is welcome. :yummy::yummy::yummy:

Could a large trash bin be used as a growbox? I would like to modify a trash can with intake and exhaust, lights, and fans to use as a descrete grow box. I have a large pot for planting that will be placed inside the bin and still has a few inches in diameter of free space. The lights will hang from the center of the lid, rigged to adjust closer and further from the plant. For air movement I will be using pc fans as well as a cooling fan mounted in the side of the bin as an intake and a sun-screen-covered hole in the top of the lid to be used as an exhaust. My concern is the temps. Its a heavy duty plastic trash can and might retain a lot of heat. It will be lined with reflictive materials if that helps but Im still a bit worried about it. Do you think it will work? Why/Why Not? Super newby here so please dont poke fun, but constructive criticism is welcome. :yummy::yummy::yummy:

i wouldn't see why you couldn't make that work out. U can buy a premade grow boxes as small as 1'4"x1'4". I would try to set it up and run it for testing out the temps before u plant in it. what kind of light are u planning using and watts?

also u might want to consider moving the fan from the intake to the outtake you might be able to get more heat out if using a hid.

I'd be more concerned with headroom. The height of the pot+the min amount of space needed to hang a lamp, as well as the min amount of distance between light and canopy (continuously changing up to last half of bloom). U may wanna brainstorm with stealthtire grower Stealth Tire Grow. The usable circumference of a stack of 4 tires and a round, plastic trash can seem similar to me. Happy growing.

I'd be using multiple cfl bulbs for spacing and $$$. I rely heavily on creativity because capitol backing is lacking and Im slacking in my stacking. Im going to investigate more and find out what temps are like in there. Also, thank you for the tip to move the fans from intake to outtake. Ameture mistake, ya know... You hate to see it but it happens. Lose focus in this game for one second and some one gets hurt... I know. I know.

I think I found an adapter that fits three bulbs and if the bulbs are high enough watts (65watts ea.) and a variety of soft white and daylight I should be ok right? I still don't know what the heats goin to be like and how much room ill have between the lights and the plant so once I get measurements I will get back.

u can mix the bulbs but i would use all daylight ( the blue colored bulbs ) for the vegg. And then when u want to bloom use all soft white ( the red colored bulbs). Or better yet save some up a little money and buy a home security light that is a 70 or 100 wat hps for the bloom cycle . I think u can pick one up for about 50-70$ or so at home depo or some where like that. There is a link on how to in the Frequently Asked Questions forum is the How to Grow Cannabis - Everything You Need to Know! then go to lighting

Back
Top Bottom