Making a tonic/tincture?

Danieljw1984

Has anyone done this befroe using grain alcohol or some high proof spirit. Is it worth using buds to do this? I am interested in making some to use at work ect.. but does it work?

I'm guessing it would take a lot of weed, and would waste a lot too. If I were you I would just make some cookies or brownies or something.

Has anyone done this befroe using grain alcohol or some high proof spirit. Is it worth using buds to do this? I am interested in making some to use at work ect.. but does it work?

Used my kid's shake to make a tincture with a good vodka. It was ok.. these people have it down:

Contributed by: MarcusVonBueler
Thanks to: ixnay007
submitted: 03-06-2003

A marijuana tincture is a solution of alcohol and THC. Tinctures are a much more concentrated version of the traditional drink known as "The Green Dragon.". The higher the ratio of alcohol to weed is, the greater the potential for THC to be drawn out is. And since all that extra grain alcohol isn't appetizing to anybody but mental patients,I always evaporate off the excess.

How do I make it?

# If you want to make a marijuana tincture, you should use one whole bottle of everclear (a fifth) and at least an eighth of buds, but no more than a half ounce or you will be wasting weed. You need to use PGA (pure grain alcohol) because the more water present in your alcohol, the more nasty stuff ends up in your green dragon like tanins, etc (it'll end up brown).

# Grind the buds up well before mixing them with the alcohol.

# Let the mixture steep (covered) for anywhere from a week to a month. Shake the covered container (I use Tupperware, but the original bottle will work fine) once or twice a day, and remove the cover once a day to prevent any gases from building up. Beware though, if you steep for a month, (and I've known people who steep for longer) chances are the drink is just going to knock you out cold.

# After the mixture has been steeped to your satisfaction, strain out the plant material with cheese cloth (squeeze the cloth to get the remaining liquid out)

# Pour the liquid in a saucepan and heat on LOW heat using either a hot plate or an electrical stove. If you try doing this with a gas stove, you will burn your nuts off. Just continue heating until it has evaporated down to the amount of liquid you want.

Note: make sure you're doing this on LOW heat, as you don't want to burn yourself by boiling the alcohol. Also be aware that this process is very stinky, and will make your house smell like weed for a couple of hours, unless it is extremely well ventilated. That's why I always do this in my backyard with a hotplate and an extension cord.

When you have green dragon that you aren't going to drink, you need to remember to store it in cool very dark places, as alcohol-extracted THC is fairly unstable, and will degrade quickly in light or when exposed to heat.

You can drink it straight, or mix it. The potency is high, and is similar to eating oil-extracted THC, yet is different at the same time. You'll just have to try it!

Last modified: 14:32 - Mar 11, 2003

Timeless tinctures
by Stan Czolowski (02 Oct, 2003)

A standard tincture is at a ratio of one gram of cannabis to 35ml (1 ounce) of pure grain ethanol. At this strength, a dosage of 1.4ml of extract (2 squirts) mixed with water is barely noticeable, although it is a very effective appetite stimulant.

A tincture of seven grams of cannabis flowers suspended in 50ml (1.5 ounces) of ethanol is definitely psychoactive at a dosage of 0.7oml (one squirt). (Isn't that 4.4 oz/750ml [qt]?!) Upon doubling the dosage to 1.4ml, I achieved a Buddha-trance state, ideal for serious meditation. It was a heavy physical sensation to experience, and I was able to go in and out of meditative state. I felt a warm glow to my extremities.

At this strength, a "heroic dose" is five squirts for the five points of the pentacle and five wounds of Christ. I felt a heightened sense of novelty, an oceanic quiet and inner peace. I was very contemplative.
(How could one not be?)

Often a small amount of cannabis smoked after tincturing greatly potentiates the experience, but the desire for further cannabis smoking is usually lessened.

Timeless tinctures

Mr Dan - Sounds worth it to me. 1qt=750ml=25.4oz so.. 1gm cannabis/1oz PGA** 25gm/750ml

I used roughly an ounce of headies and a handle of everclear to make Green Dragon... the THC tincture you might be talking about.
-Just grind up the buds as fine as possible
-put the buds in the handle of everclear
-Let sit for as long as possible away from sunlight (minimun 11 days, or pushing 7 months like mine:)

Sounds delicious to me just need to find some everclear lol

This came up on another thread and I got quite a few pm's about how my process works. When I get hold of a digital camera I will post a pictorial thread so you can see the process from beginning to end.

PROCESS TO MAKE HONEY OILED BUDS
What I do is start with 3 or 4 gms of kief (unpressed hash) that I have harvested from the coffee grinder I use to chop my buds. I put the kief in a small round bottomed bowl and add two tablespoons of de-natured ethanol (I think you call it Everclear in the US). I stir it around and let the sediment settle. What you have at this stage is a tincture - where the ethanol has selectively taken up all the resins and THC into solution.
I then take a good sized floret (2gm bud) from my stash and put it on a wire rack. I then use a medicine dropper to transfer the tincture from the bowl to the floret, a bit at a time, as the solvent evaporates off. As the solvent evaporates off, it leaves behind all the resins and THC on what I call the recipient bud. You keep doing this until all of the solvent has been transferred from the bowl to the recipient bud. A hairdryer blowing on the bud at warm setting will speed up the evaporative process.
When you have finished transferring the tincture to the recipient bud, add another teaspoon of solvent to your bowl to pick up any residual resins or THC. Repeat the transferrance process and then just leave your bud to dry so that all of your solvent has evaporated off. Again, a hairdryer can speed up the final drying process. Any residual solvent will burn off anyway. You should note that the only thing you get when burning de-natured ethanol is water and carbon dioxide, so any residual solvent in your bud at smoking time will not cause you any harm.
So, what you have at the end is the 2gm floret you started with, but this bud now carries ALL the resins and THC that was in the 4gms of kief that you started with. The recipient floret now weighs about 2.5 to 3gms, and has incredible potency. I would estimate that if the kief you started with was excellent (say 18% to 20% THC), then the oiled bud would have to be approaching 50% to 60% THC. Phenomenal potency!!
The oiled bud can then be smoked as you would a normal bud (hold onto your head) or you could vape it. Whatever method you choose, expect an explosive soaring high that will take you to levels you never thought you could achieve.

You may find this helpful.

I think your all forgetting the definition of a "tincture" is a solution that is meant to be held under the tounge, not necessarily ingested. I have found making a tincture using high proof alcohol makes it immpossible to hold under your tounge (it burns) and drinking this solution is far more effective. So lets not exactly call Green Dragon a tincture.

Would making the tonic work regardless of the alcohol and everclear just recommended. Also if I were to make this would I be able to take the bud out and simply smoke it and continue to have higher THC in the bud?

Would making the tonic work regardless of the alcohol and everclear just recommended. Also if I were to make this would I be able to take the bud out and simply smoke it and continue to have higher THC in the bud?

You need to use high proof alcohol, and everclear is very high proof and cheap. I have also used 151.

If you are trying to extract the THC using alcohol then how would it become any more potent if it was smoked? That doesn't make much sense at all. You are trying to extract the THC into the liqour, so the answer is the buds (if removed from the elixir, dryed and smoked) would be LESS potent not increase in potency.

Hmm alright but would you say a bottle of southern confort would be able to have a good egnough proof

So southern confort would be an option good.Cheaper then everclear and easier to obtain.

So southern confort would be an option good.Cheaper then everclear and easier to obtain.

I just finished making 3 different tinctures using Everclear, apple pie moonshine (100 proof), and southern comfort, and OMG...

Soco is by far the best tasting, however the cinnamon used in the moonshine causes a more rapid uptake of the THC.

I use a magnetic stirring hot plate. I evap the alcohol off and keep it around 109 Celsius for 60 minutes for decarb. As the alcohol evaporates, the temp will rise so be careful not to burn it.

I can attest to the zen like trances. This stuff is top notch. But the reason for the reply is to let you know that southern comfort is the champion as far as taste goes.

Thanks to all for the ideas.

Back
Top Bottom