Making Coconut Oil

So I've smoked over the years. Made a few attempts at butter. But I'm not too into edibles and medicine.

But I have a dog with an issue on his face I want to use coconut oil on and want to infuse it. (dry losing hair, but only in one spot and no one seems to know from what) Recommendations on the best process and should it be more cbd infused? Need some direction as I am not cannabis technical over here

So I've smoked over the years. Made a few attempts at butter. But I'm not too into edibles and medicine.

But I have a dog with an issue on his face I want to use coconut oil on and want to infuse it. (dry losing hair, but only in one spot and no one seems to know from what) Recommendations on the best process and should it be more cbd infused? Need some direction as I am not cannabis technical over here
You can infuse your decarbed pot directly into the coconut oil. A crock pot on low with oil water and your pot will do the trick. 18 to 24 hrs at a temp between
170 and 190 F will work. I can give you more assistance if you need. I make at least 4 L a month, for various ailments its great. :thumb:

It is easy to make. I use the oven to decarb the weed. I put the weed into a oven safe container and the temperature range @Bill284 mentions works great. The coconut oil melts quickly. Only question is how much pot to put into the coconut oil.

I have come across a few recipes and started using 1gram of bud, or sugar leaf or those small popcorn buds to each 15 ml of melted coconut oil. The oven is turned off at night and gets turned on again in the morning. The mix will stay in the oven until it has had 24 to 28 hours of low heat.

You might want to strain it to get the ground up weed out but if the dog does not care you can save a step. I strain it to keep the wife, daughter and anyone else happy. Works great for arthritis and damaged joints and muscles.

Guud info. I have a crock pot, coconut oil & buds I make butter for edibles. Been wanting to try a cream. Can this concoction be used in capsules at this strength? Thanks. The Finn

THC is not good for dogs, CBD is fine. Dogs have many more receptor for THC than humans do, so it's very easy to give too much! I have seen what moderate amounts of THC does to dogs, and it's not pretty. Light sensitivity, drooling, loss of balance, loss of bladder control, vomiting, anxiety, seizures, etc. etc. Do not give dogs THC!! Next we'll have all the people who say their dogs have eaten it for years, ask your vet, it's not good for them.

Just added my buds to coconut oil. Only have enough to make 300 ml this time, a little over a cup. Going to try it as a cream for arthritis. I’m going to need a lot of weed if this cream works. Buds for cream and leaves for butter. I’ve got to get these seeds to sprout

Unplugged our small crock pot overnight. Wife plugged it back in when she awoke waay too early for me. Before we ran errands I checked temp and it had climbed to 180 and oil was bubbling. So I unplugged it and put the oil in oven @ 170 when we returned. It is still steady at 170. Small crock has no temp control like her large one. That one is off limits for the cannabis oil. I use these bags to line the crock with. But she doesn’t care. She is holding firm. Corporate decision.

Almond oil didn’t seem to change the taste. What else has anyone tried to flavor their oil? Is cinnamon powder enough to change it? Or is oil the best option for changing its’ taste? I know I’m supposed to place it under the tongue. Some got above it to the taste buds. Yuck. And I wasn’t driving while tasting.

Well my wife found some creme de mint in 2 spots, one loaded with added sugars, and the other larger one w/o sugar. I poured some coconut oil into a Hershey bar mold, very thin. Then added some creme de mint and stirred it in. It moderates than other taste. And a small piece gives a guud buzz. Next I’m going to wash the buds while in the jar. Some of the taste will be lost. Mainly the smell will dissipate.

It is strong smelling stuff. Whew. Bought some almond oil today. I’ll try it mix some in today. I’ll try some drops under my tongue as well as the old hands.
The dry weed does have a smell while it is in the oven but no one has objected yet. If the weed is left in the oven at 170F for an hour or so the smell starts to go away. Maybe this is because of the last bits of moisture being driven out of the buds and leaves and once truly dry the smell is gone.

Only have enough to make 300 ml this time, a little over a cup. Going to try it as a cream for arthritis. I’m going to need a lot of weed if this cream works.
Shortly after my earlier msg in January I did change my ratio of weed buds, popcorn buds and leaves from 1 gram per 15 ml to 1 gram per 10 ml of melted coconut oil. Everyone is happier with the new salve. We have 4 people using the stuff, me, my wife, our daughter and a buddy who gets some for his 95 year old mother.

Our daughter broke several fingers one afternoon a couple of years ago. When the old breaks start to hurt she uses the cream which she says is better than the stuff that one of the guys in the machine shop she manages makes. Several weeks ago she fell down the stair, broke a bone or two in her foot, and brags that the salve is helping her heal from the outside into the center of her foot.

My buddy bought his mother some CBD cream from the drug store and she told him it did nothing for her worn out knee. He picked up some salve, tried it himself, and told his mother about it. She did not want anything made by an old hippie because it might make her get loopy and jump off the roof. I told him to tell her that 1, I would not do that to her and 2 she can barely walk around the kitchen so how will she get on the roof. She now lets him know, before her small container is empty, that it is time for him to ask for more.

The stuff works. It might not get rid of all the pain but it helps a lot. The wife and I have mentioned to the doctors that we each use the salve and they say "OK" and move on. Still have not had any doctor, including one who is a relative and is against 'recreational use' say to stop or otherwise discourage the medical use of Cannabis for salve for pain, etc.

Just decarbed some in the oven for an hour, in a foil pouch. Kitchen smells so I guess I didnt seal the foil guud enough. The 1 gram/15ml of coconut oil works on wife’s feet. She slept better last night. Can the mix be left out of the frig?
Hey @Finnicki hope you and your wife are well today.
I made coconut oil salve for years.
I mix in a little bees wax when it's hot.
It gives some stability.
I put it in tins with a lid.
It can stay in the cupboard for a year.
I added a few drops of mint also to reduce the smell.

Stay safe
Bill

This is from a Bubba Cookie strain. I am starting cherry pie autos now. Will go back to Bubba afterwards. Keep her feet happy. What strain should I look for to grow, that is up there in THC? Is a landrace strain the best for coconut oil?

This is from a Bubba Cookie strain. I am starting cherry pie autos now. Will go back to Bubba afterwards. Keep her feet happy. What strain should I look for to grow, that is up there in THC? Is a landrace strain the best for coconut oil?
I used Jack Herer mostly.
But I've had good results with Gorilla Glue and Black Jack.

Stay safe
Bill

Can the mix be left out of the frig?
Sure. Some of the earliest food preservation, long before refrigerators, involved keeping food in oils, usually olive oil, or even in rendered animal fats. In this discussion the idea is to seal up the leaf material so as to keep air away from it.

I mix in a little bees wax when it's hot.
It gives some stability.
I put it in tins with a lid.
It can stay in the cupboard for a year.
I added a few drops of mint also to reduce the smell.
Good points.

I have some Soy Bean Wax so I use that. Still working on a ratio of wax to salve.
If a good snug fit between lid and container the salve should last 4-5 years in a fridge.
I keep mine in jars stored in the root cellar and this time of year it is probably in the upper 30s to lower 40s F. In the summer in the low to mid 50s F.
My wife has the oils and coloring meant for use in soaps, lipsticks and beauty items. These oils and coloring are specifically for use on skin. I gave some thought to using them but no one has complained about the odor, yet.

Back
Top Bottom