Making seeds - Auto mother with photo father or vice versa?

When breeders do their thing, they usually find a really stable strain they want to cross and then grow out a male from that strain's seed stock. That's usually their base strain because it tends to have more dominant genetics than the females. So if you wanted a bunch of strains that were crossed with grape ape, for example, and you really like the smell and taste of grape ape, but you just want different versions of it, then you would want a male grape ape and females of the other strains that you want to cross it with. That why breeders like rare dankness cross everything with Rare dankness #1 and #2. Because they want their genetic bank to be more of something they spent years making rather than muddling their prize winning strain with other genetics.

As for breeding a photo with an auto. I've never bred autos before, because i'm not really into them, but I imagine that any strain you breed with an auto - will turn out auto for at least a couple of generations - then you might start seeing photo period (or semi-photo period) plants in the mix.

I think you're more likely to find odd balls if you inbreed the genetics because the dominate genes are coming from the photo period plant and, eventually, those will surface (in some way or another) with enough inbreeding.

ok cool, so male is more dominant thanks :)

Yes, but, as far as I know, the auto-flowering genes will carry through (making your male somewhat recessive when it comes to when it will decide to bloom).

It may take many generations of inbreeding to get what you're after, because of the way the sex cells divide up the plant's genes. Each germ cell can be vastly different than another on the same male or female, so many possible genetic combinations are possible.

Only by using pure strains can you predict the ratio of phenotypes from a batch of seeds. At least, that is the theory.

Back
Top Bottom