Making The SH Mistic Cloner

I've noticed sometimes I'll see a clone wilting, and when I pull it, the stem is dry. I think it might happen only when the humidity dome is on...

Which leads me to believe this system relies on the stem being cooler than the fog so the fog will condense on the stem. If a humidity dome makes the plants heat up... no condensation on the roots.

Just thought I'd share the observation to see if anyone has seen the same effect.

Anyone else having issues with it shutting off regardless if it is in a float or sitting on bottom? I know how deep it should be, or the least it should be. And for the most part it works fine, but after a bit of time, no length specifically, i will come back and find it off but fully under water??? I take it out, mess with it a bit, wipe it off and it is fine for a while. RO water PH adjusted to 5.9. What gives?

Well this morning it was still running! I took and cut some of the black plastic coating off that somehow was overlapping the little hole on the sensor bar (if you have checked these out in some detail ya' know what little drilled hole I am talking about) Anyhow, thing seems to be working consistantly now.
Do not buy one of these from a PetSmart in Central Florida!! They are all faulty!!!!! lol lol

Hey bro...I was using an aeroponic cloner I made, but man...was such a hassle, always getting clogged. where did you get the fogger. I read something about them before.

I am using the exa-terra ultrasonic fogger, same one these guys are using, ceramic disk and such....
It seems to be working fine now that i took some of the excess plastic shrink wrap of the sensor? I dunno', works now.

Yeah that link I posted on the first page, The foggers from that place I've never heard of anyone having any problems.

Got my fogger a couple days ago. It took a couple minutes to figure out but once it started going it shot a fountain of water blasting off like the space shuttle with smoke billowing all over.:yahoo:It was AWESOME
I have build a three holer since I have to keep my plant numbers down to the State limit just to be on the safer side(if there is one)

:thanks: A very inspirational thread and a must for any person who wants to propagate plants

Rev.Holysmoke

I just wanted to reiterate on some specifics. Make sure to keep limited ventilation on your clones. I took some clones yesterday and forgot to shut my fan off. In doing so gave me a perfect opportunity to show you something. The larger the clone, the more resilient to the elements and stresses the clone is. This is what i came into this morning.

012160.jpg

Notice the four in the back are ok, its not because they weren't hit with the fan because i have two fans going on each side, its because of the size of the clone taken. The longer the clone the more resilient it is to the elements.

013160.jpg

015127.jpg

014139.jpg

Notice how big the other four were and how they are all fine...

I just wanted to reiterate on some specifics. Make sure to keep limited ventilation on your clones. I took some clones yesterday and forgot to shut my fan off. In doing so gave me a perfect opportunity to show you something. The larger the clone, the more resilient to the elements and stresses the clone is. This is what i came into this morning.

012160.jpg

Notice the four in the back are ok, its not because they weren't hit with the fan because i have two fans going on each side, its because of the size of the clone taken. The longer the clone the more resilient it is to the elements.

013160.jpg

015127.jpg

014139.jpg

Notice how big the other four were and how they are all fine...

Thanks for sharing that in particular JBT. I leaped right in and took some clones last week and all but 1 has died. :(
I feel they didn't take because I jumped the gun and took 'em too small and also the wind on one of them, perhaps 2 of 'em was wind. One had just the faintest little white bump from a starter root but the clone just wasn't big enough to take the stress. I am gonna keep them covered longer next time and keep the wind off them when i do expose them for a while.

On a side note JBT, you don't suggest any nutes or additives to the water/fog?

I am going with 1/4 veg nutes but I have heard when cloneing to use a bloom mix of nutes at 1/4 regular strength
SHOUT OUT nutes for fogger? need some guidance.
Probably should ask this question in the FAQ or HELP section but we will see....

waiting for some input

Rev.Holysmoke

Thanks for sharing that in particular JBT. I leaped right in and took some clones last week and all but 1 has died. :(
I feel they didn't take because I jumped the gun and took 'em too small and also the wind on one of them, perhaps 2 of 'em was wind. One had just the faintest little white bump from a starter root but the clone just wasn't big enough to take the stress. I am gonna keep them covered longer next time and keep the wind off them when i do expose them for a while.

On a side note JBT, you don't suggest any nutes or additives to the water/fog?

I actually only use superthrive in the water, and keep the water right around 6.0 pH or so. If you need to keep your clones in the system for a little while after they develop a root system like the clone on the first page, then you can go to 1/4 nutrients.

I am going with 1/4 veg nutes but I have heard when cloneing to use a bloom mix of nutes at 1/4 regular strength
SHOUT OUT nutes for fogger? need some guidance.
Probably should ask this question in the FAQ or HELP section but we will see....

waiting for some input

Rev.Holysmoke

Going to be very difficult to eat those nutes and not have any roots!

For Cuttings with NO roots:
Foliage Spray? YES
Nutes? NOT YET

Well tonight I checked and again I see NO ROOTS!?!?! I am a bit confused because I expected to see plenty of growth by now. :(
I have 2 clones that are in the tank that are left. One was looking like it too was on the way out, the other was healthy, but as i said, no roots....read on:

So anyhow I lift out the neoprene puck and open the spilt to view the stalk and there are knobby roots all over, even growing into the neoprene sides!:yahoo:
Second one was doing the same thing!! Roots growing into the foam. So I re-adjusted them and brought the root into the fogger area. We'll see what happens!

Well tonight I checked and again I see NO ROOTS!?!?! I am a bit confused because I expected to see plenty of growth by now. :(
I have 2 clones that are in the tank that are left. One was looking like it too was on the way out, the other was healthy, but as i said, no roots....read on:

So anyhow I lift out the neoprene puck and open the spilt to view the stalk and there are knobby roots all over, even growing into the neoprene sides!:yahoo:
Second one was doing the same thing!! Roots growing into the foam. So I re-adjusted them and brought the root into the fogger area. We'll see what happens!

Hmmm, strange, I've had them grow into the noeprene before, but it wasn't until way after it was rooted elsewhere. I normally see the first growth on the very bottom of the stalk.

Hmmm, strange, I've had them grow into the noeprene before, but it wasn't until way after it was rooted elsewhere. I normally see the first growth on the very bottom of the stalk.

I thought it was strange as well..... but we have "rootage". I could have gotten root gel on the foam there? I am just happy. Gotta keep practicing and doing more clones so when the good strains are here I have this down pat!!;)

I thought it was strange as well..... but we have "rootage". I could have gotten root gel on the foam there? I am just happy. Gotta keep practicing and doing more clones so when the good strains are here I have this down pat!!;)

Also, some strains are very easy to root, others are very difficult to root. Keep that in mind as well..

I've had this happen before when I use to scrape the last half inch of the stem to "help the growth". I would have no roots on the tip, but right above the scrape they would be busting out. Is that the case here? I've stopped doing it since I didn't see a real benefit, and more often than not the part of the stem I scraped would rot! It's prolly the cut bro, if not a scrape. Make sure your tool is sterilized and sharp and be careful not to get air in there.

A good way to tell if your clones are still healthy and their capillary systems are still functioning properly is to look for a drop of water hanging at the very bottom of the stalk. If air gets up the stalk it won't hold the surface tension on the bottom of the stalk. Easy quick way to tell if your wasting your time with a cutting.

Great cloner. I am going to build this asap as it is so economical and functional!:welldone:
I read through the thread and I had a couple questions for those who are having trouble getting a good success ratio.
  1. Are you making sure everything is sterile?
  2. How often are you opening the cloner to look at roots/stem? Constantly changing the environment/light around the roots/stem could cause complications?
  3. Is the environment inside the cloner clean and regulated(temp, humidity, etc not fluctuating)?
  4. Are you using any type of "dome" to increase humidity to your fragile cutting?
Hope these questions provoke some thought, but most likely it's just a re-hash of what ya already know. I look forward to trying out this method in the near future. Good luck to everyone and their propagation.:yummy:

I'm pretty sure everyone who's made one so far had some degree of success on their first shot. Sometimes I use a dome, most of the time I do not. But... Sterility and evasion of embolisms are def key in this system.

Hope it all goes well for ya bigdeal, great system once you get down the basics.

Back
Top Bottom