Malawi Gold Revisited: Queen Sativa

There was some sort of effort going on to collect a genetic database of cannabis. Pretty sure it involved links to companies like DuPont and possibly Bayer. I tuned out the drama a couple years ago but if you dig around you can find more info on it- called the Phylos project. I know- not exactly what we are looking for, but still seems like the sort of thing that is very likely to happen. If not inevitable. I’m sure you can find better articles if you have the stomach for it. This is just the first one that popped up for me.

Also not what you’re asking @copperrein, but Ace seeds posts lab tests of all their strains, which contain a lot of useful info once you start looking at the various levels of terpenes, etc.

Most breeders don’t have that much integrity and it’s just a shit-show as far as knowing what genetics you’re getting vs what the claims are.

I’m sure soon enough over the next few years there will be a lot of options available for lab testing of plants. I can’t say I’m really looking forward to that world but obviously there are benefits.

Day 107/97 Mar 7 (day 107 for #2 & 5) (day 97 for #8, 9 &10)

Everything seems to be going well here. Starting to look like a jungle and getting pretty sticky as I make my rounds. #8 and 10 are the only plants needing elevation. The other three are tall enough to be sitting on the floor. #2 has slowed down significantly. She has the slowest rate of growth over the last 9 days of 4.25". She shouldn't stretch much more. Hopefully, she'll start fattening up her buds. I took a small sample cutting of her to put under the microscope and I'm seeing the first signs of amber trichomes so she's nearing harvest time. #5 had the greatest rate of growth of 17.5" as I expected she would. She has a long way to go as she's just starting to form buds. She'll definitely challenge the height restrictions. #8 and 10 are producing nice buds. They seem to be bigger than #2 although they could stretch and thin out. Time will tell.
IMG_1351.JPG

Here's #2 at 62.5" tall and packed with tiny sticky buds. I had to stake her because she was starting to lean heavily.
IMG_1352.JPG

Here's #5 at 59.75" and not slowing down. She could probably fill the room by herself.
IMG_1353.JPG

These are some of the buds on #2. Their very small and airy but are totally covering the plant. What they lack in size they make up in sheer numbers.
IMG_1354.JPG

In contrast, these are some of the buds on #9. Their more substantial in size at this point. Time will tell if they will stretch and thin out or if they will continue getting bigger.
IMG_1363.JPG

Ever since the seeds first germinated there has been red showing up on the plants. The stalks all had some red from the beginning. Some retain some red either on the main stalk or on the leaf stems. I don't know if it's a cannabis trait, indica trait or sativa trait. I've seen it before on indica dominant plants and I don't know what to think of it.
IMG_1357.JPG

IMG_1358.JPG

Here's the sample cutting I took from #2.
IMG_1366.JPG

Trichomes as seen under a microscope. I took a bunch of pictures but this is the only one I was able to format for upload. I'll have to figure out how to format more pics. One of the pics showed a couple of trichomes turning amber. I'll have to work on formatting.
0001(2).jpg

Day 107/97 Mar 7 (day 107 for #2 & 5) (day 97 for #8, 9 &10)

Everything seems to be going well here. Starting to look like a jungle and getting pretty sticky as I make my rounds. #8 and 10 are the only plants needing elevation. The other three are tall enough to be sitting on the floor. #2 has slowed down significantly. She has the slowest rate of growth over the last 9 days of 4.25". She shouldn't stretch much more. Hopefully, she'll start fattening up her buds. I took a small sample cutting of her to put under the microscope and I'm seeing the first signs of amber trichomes so she's nearing harvest time. #5 had the greatest rate of growth of 17.5" as I expected she would. She has a long way to go as she's just starting to form buds. She'll definitely challenge the height restrictions. #8 and 10 are producing nice buds. They seem to be bigger than #2 although they could stretch and thin out. Time will tell.
IMG_1351.JPG

Here's #2 at 62.5" tall and packed with tiny sticky buds. I had to stake her because she was starting to lean heavily.
IMG_1352.JPG

Here's #5 at 59.75" and not slowing down. She could probably fill the room by herself.
IMG_1353.JPG

These are some of the buds on #2. Their very small and airy but are totally covering the plant. What they lack in size they make up in sheer numbers.
IMG_1354.JPG

In contrast, these are some of the buds on #9. Their more substantial in size at this point. Time will tell if they will stretch and thin out or if they will continue getting bigger.
IMG_1363.JPG

Ever since the seeds first germinated there has been red showing up on the plants. The stalks all had some red from the beginning. Some retain some red either on the main stalk or on the leaf stems. I don't know if it's a cannabis trait, indica trait or sativa trait. I've seen it before on indica dominant plants and I don't know what to think of it.
IMG_1357.JPG

IMG_1358.JPG

Here's the sample cutting I took from #2.
IMG_1366.JPG

Trichomes as seen under a microscope. I took a bunch of pictures but this is the only one I was able to format for upload. I'll have to figure out how to format more pics. One of the pics showed a couple of trichomes turning amber. I'll have to work on formatting.
0001(2).jpg
They are the coolest looking girls. Beautiful.

Thanks a lot Bill284. Wish you could smell the aroma
I'd love too. Its so nice when I unzip and the aroma just blows you away :thumb:
Its very interesting. I have never seen them grown before im enjoying it.
Ball Park how much longer do you think you have to go.

I'd love too. Its so nice when I unzip and the aroma just blows you away :thumb:

Its very interesting. I have never seen them grown before im enjoying it.
Ball Park how much longer do you think you have to go.
Good question. #2 will be the first. Looking at the sample cutting under the microscope I could see a couple of trichomes turning amber so I'll be looking through a 10x loupe going forward. #2 could be harvested in the next week or two. Depending what I see with the loupe I may cut her down or cut branches as they ripen. #9 and 10 would be next but they have a month or more to go. #5 and 8 are just starting to form buds so they have probably a couple of months to go. Because of the long flowering period the older trichomes will ripen as other trichomes are just forming so harvesting should be after there's a number of amber trichomes rather than when the first trichomes appear. The idea being trying to get the maximum number of trichomes at their peak knowing some have gone past and some having not reached it yet. For this reason I'm thinking about harvesting a branch at a time. I also have this nagging thought about whether a sativa could be a perennial and cutting a branch at a time might open up the possibility of regeneration. I doubt it but this method of harvesting might give me some insight.

Good question. #2 will be the first. Looking at the sample cutting under the microscope I could see a couple of trichomes turning amber so I'll be looking through a 10x loupe going forward. #2 could be harvested in the next week or two. Depending what I see with the loupe I may cut her down or cut branches as they ripen. #9 and 10 would be next but they have a month or more to go. #5 and 8 are just starting to form buds so they have probably a couple of months to go. Because of the long flowering period the older trichomes will ripen as other trichomes are just forming so harvesting should be after there's a number of amber trichomes rather than when the first trichomes appear. The idea being trying to get the maximum number of trichomes at their peak knowing some have gone past and some having not reached it yet. For this reason I'm thinking about harvesting a branch at a time. I also have this nagging thought about whether a sativa could be a perennial and cutting a branch at a time might open up the possibility of regeneration. I doubt it but this method of harvesting might give me some insight.
Thats a labor of love my friend. I didn't realize that trichomes were different on them aswell. Revegging after harvest is difficult but I understand why you would try. All great stuff im learning.

Thats a labor of love my friend. I didn't realize that trichomes were different on them aswell. Revegging after harvest is difficult but I understand why you would try. All great stuff im learning.
"trichomes were different on them as well" I wouldn't say that trichomes are different on sativa. The fact that the flowering time for sativas is twice as long as indicas results in trichomes turning amber part way through the grow rather than near the end like an indica grow. If trichomes reach their peak and start turning amber after 8 weeks then that would be near the end of the indica flowering period but would be half way through the sativa flowering period.

When I think about indica and sativa growing in the wild I think about what would happen. Indicas veg as long as the daylight length is greater than say 12-13 hrs. As fall approaches the daylight shortens to the point flowering starts. After a couple of months seeds will have formed and mature. Birds will eat the seeds and disperse them far and wide with a bit of manure. Some seeds will mature and fall to the ground. Presumably the seeds will overwinter and then sprout in the spring when conditions are right. This process repeats year after year.
Sativas on the other hand grow where daylight only varies from perhaps 11 to 13 hrs year round. In this scenario the veg period last until the plant matures to the point of flowering. From observing this grow it seems flowering starts around day 50. That seems to be when the plants are mature enough to start flowering. In its native land under bright sun that 50 day period is probably shortened. In any case when the flowering begins it seems to begin at the nodes with 2 pairs of flowers and the plant grows. By the time buds begin forming there are already quite a few flowers at the nodes that are probably pollinated and forming seeds. The males seem to mature and start flowering before the females. I would expect female sativas to drop seeds to the ground while still growing and forming buds. I would expect a field of wild sativa to have plants of all ages. Some germinating, some growing before maturity, some maturing, some flowering and some near their end. This variance shouldn't happen with indicas but I expect it does with sativas. There would be a winter to control the indica but no winter to control the sativa. This is all conjecture on my part but makes total sense to me. Just a thought.

"trichomes were different on them as well" I wouldn't say that trichomes are different on sativa. The fact that the flowering time for sativas is twice as long as indicas results in trichomes turning amber part way through the grow rather than near the end like an indica grow. If trichomes reach their peak and start turning amber after 8 weeks then that would be near the end of the indica flowering period but would be half way through the sativa flowering period.

When I think about indica and sativa growing in the wild I think about what would happen. Indicas veg as long as the daylight length is greater than say 12-13 hrs. As fall approaches the daylight shortens to the point flowering starts. After a couple of months seeds will have formed and mature. Birds will eat the seeds and disperse them far and wide with a bit of manure. Some seeds will mature and fall to the ground. Presumably the seeds will overwinter and then sprout in the spring when conditions are right. This process repeats year after year.
Sativas on the other hand grow where daylight only varies from perhaps 11 to 13 hrs year round. In this scenario the veg period last until the plant matures to the point of flowering. From observing this grow it seems flowering starts around day 50. That seems to be when the plants are mature enough to start flowering. In its native land under bright sun that 50 day period is probably shortened. In any case when the flowering begins it seems to begin at the nodes with 2 pairs of flowers and the plant grows. By the time buds begin forming there are already quite a few flowers at the nodes that are probably pollinated and forming seeds. The males seem to mature and start flowering before the females. I would expect female sativas to drop seeds to the ground while still growing and forming buds. I would expect a field of wild sativa to have plants of all ages. Some germinating, some growing before maturity, some maturing, some flowering and some near their end. This variance shouldn't happen with indicas but I expect it does with sativas. There would be a winter to control the indica but no winter to control the sativa. This is all conjecture on my part but makes total sense to me. Just a thought.
I see you have put alot of thought into this. All makes sense to me. :thumb:

Most of my equatorial time was in the south of Thailand. Down in the south tip near Malaysia there’s only about an hour variation in seasons. To some extent the plants there flower ‘whenever’ when they’re mature enough. But it seemed like in reality the agricultural seasons there are defined by the monsoons, which are roughly in the fall. The rainy season is usually well over by New Years- but it depends. It’s a lot of crazy downpours and 90- 100% RH in the tropical heat.

Most of my equatorial time was in the south of Thailand. Down in the south tip near Malaysia there’s only about an hour variation in seasons. To some extent the plants there flower ‘whenever’ when they’re mature enough. But it seemed like in reality the agricultural seasons there are defined by the monsoons, which are roughly in the fall. The rainy season is usually well over by New Years- but it depends. It’s a lot of crazy downpours and 90- 100% RH in the tropical heat.
Thanks Weaselcracker for your first hand knowledge which is invaluable. When I researched Malawi Gold the 'rainy season' was mentioned and it must have an impact on the plants. There was mention of two growing seasons and how the rains provided the necessary water in an otherwise dry environment. My sativa research found mention of a tolerance of the plants for heavy winds and rains and a resistance to mold and mildew.

When I was travelling in Asia and elsewhere I did see wild weed and I bought and smoked plenty of weed all over the place, but can’t claim any expert insight on tropical dope growing practices. Partly because at that time I didn’t really care as much as I do now, and also as a foreign traveller, some situations like that can easily get sketchy. No matter how semi-local you are- the police sure love that bribe money.

The sativa strains are very resistant to mould and high humidity. I used to wonder like you do about plants re-vegging in the wild after flowering. I read some speculation about it a few years ago but doesn’t seem to be common as far as I can figure out.
At least in Thailand things aren’t as neatly organized amd sewn up as they are with how we are used to growing in N america and Europe. Females aren’t so strictly female, seasons are a little looser, etc. Also like a lot of larger countries, Thailand has different areas with different seasons almost like three or four countries in one. But depending where you are, the monsoons can bring some very heavy rains along with somewhat chillier weather and I think it does make for a pretty clear dividing line with a lot of crops.

When I was travelling in Asia and elsewhere I did see wild weed and I bought and smoked plenty of weed all over the place, but can’t claim any expert insight on tropical dope growing practices. Partly because at that time I didn’t really care as much as I do now, and also as a foreign traveller, some situations like that can easily get sketchy. No matter how semi-local you are- the police sure love that bribe money.

The sativa strains are very resistant to mould and high humidity. I used to wonder like you do about plants re-vegging in the wild after flowering. I read some speculation about it a few years ago but doesn’t seem to be common as far as I can figure out.
At least in Thailand things aren’t as neatly organized amd sewn up as they are with how we are used to growing in N america and Europe. Females aren’t so strictly female, seasons are a little looser, etc. Also like a lot of larger countries, Thailand has different areas with different seasons almost like three or four countries in one. But depending where you are, the monsoons can bring some very heavy rains along with somewhat chillier weather and I think it does make for a pretty clear dividing line with a lot of crops.
Interesting. I've grown Northern Lights and I did research on that strain. There is some mystery about the origins of NL but it's accepted that it's a cross between Afghani and Thai sativa. I did some research on Thai sativa and it was reported that it is prone to intersex or having both male and female flowers. Because of this it was reported that the Thai farmers will pick the male flowers off all but one branch. Apparently, allowing one branch to have male flowers will prevent the spreading to the rest of the plant. When I grew NL I found intersex could easily happen if I messed with the lighting schedule too much. During one grow I had a HPS light on the same circuit as my water pump. When the pump started up it would sometimes cut off the light plunging the plants into darkness. It would take a couple of minutes for the light to come back on and this disruption triggered intersex. They all developed bananas towards the end of the grow.

Day 113 (#2 & 5) / 103 (8, 9 & 10)

Everything here seems to be going well. #2 is getting closer to harvesting. The older calyxes at the nodes have brown stigmata and the trichomes are turning yellow and amber. All the stigmata in the buds are white and the trichomes are clear so she has a ways to go before I harvest her. I'd like to see about 1/4 of the stigmata brown. It's hard to say how long that will take but I'm expecting a couple of weeks or more. Those experienced in growing sativa say "be patient and it'll pay off". The calyxes are fattening up but it isn't showing yet in the buds. Here's #2 at 66" tall. She only grew 3.5" in the last 6 days and as a result lost the title of tallest to #5.
IMG_1367.JPG

In this pic you can see the brown stigmata in the calyxes at the nodes. All the other stigmata are white. The calyxes are nice and fat and the stems are red or turning red.
IMG_1368.JPG

This is #5 at 72" tall. She grew 12.25" in the last six days and doesn't look like she'll slow down any time soon. Her highest tip is about 4" above the bottom of the light. When she hits the ceiling she'll have to grow horizontal. Having never seen a true Malawi Gold sativa growing in its homeland #5 is what I think they would look like.
IMG_1370.JPG

Here's #8 at 38.25" tall: the shortest. She looks like she's following in #5's footsteps so she may have a big stretch ahead of her.
IMG_1371.JPG

Here's #9 at 50.75" tall. She has the best looking buds and will be a real treat to clean at harvest time. My guess is that she has more indica traits than #2, 5 & 8 because of her buds.
IMG_1372.JPG

IMG_1374.JPG

And here's # 10 at 42'5" tall and looking a lot like #9.
IMG_1375.JPG

These remaining pics were taken today through a microscope of the sample cutting I took six days ago. The stigmata have turned brown since I took the cutting and a few trichomes have turned yellow. This pic shows a node on a lateral branch. It's an alternating node because only one leaf emerged (on the far left) and just to the right a single branch emerged. To the right of the branch is the branch coming from the main stem. To the right are two stigmata emerging from the calyx. In this pic there are two calyxes, if this was a paired node it would have had 2 leaves, 2 branches and 4 calyxes. On this plant (#2) the first ten nodes were paired and the alternate nodes started at the eleventh node. I note these things to better define this particular variety because I'll grow this again and may do some breeding to try and get a higher percentage of sativa. Of note is the large amount of trichomes on the branches and much less on the leaves. When I first researched Malawi Gold it was noted that the stems/branches had trichomes.
Mar 13-_2_1.jpg

A little bit more magnification to show how trichomes are packed in there and some yellowing.
Mar 13_2_3a.jpg

This pic is the tip of the sample cutting. Instead of two calyxes at a node this shows a number of calyxes forming a bud. Small but packed with trichomes.
Mar 13_2_4.jpg

Today, I started preparing a dark room for when I'm ready to harvest. I plan to remove #2 and put her in a dark room for 24-48 hrs. prior to harvesting. I won't try and harvest a branch at a time like I considered. Harvesting #2 in going to be a chore. Not quite sure how I will do it but I have a few ideas. Sticky and smelling heavenly.

Day 113 (#2 & 5) / 103 (8, 9 & 10)

Everything here seems to be going well. #2 is getting closer to harvesting. The older calyxes at the nodes have brown stigmata and the trichomes are turning yellow and amber. All the stigmata in the buds are white and the trichomes are clear so she has a ways to go before I harvest her. I'd like to see about 1/4 of the stigmata brown. It's hard to say how long that will take but I'm expecting a couple of weeks or more. Those experienced in growing sativa say "be patient and it'll pay off". The calyxes are fattening up but it isn't showing yet in the buds. Here's #2 at 66" tall. She only grew 3.5" in the last 6 days and as a result lost the title of tallest to #5.
IMG_1367.JPG

In this pic you can see the brown stigmata in the calyxes at the nodes. All the other stigmata are white. The calyxes are nice and fat and the stems are red or turning red.
IMG_1368.JPG

This is #5 at 72" tall. She grew 12.25" in the last six days and doesn't look like she'll slow down any time soon. Her highest tip is about 4" above the bottom of the light. When she hits the ceiling she'll have to grow horizontal. Having never seen a true Malawi Gold sativa growing in its homeland #5 is what I think they would look like.
IMG_1370.JPG

Here's #8 at 38.25" tall: the shortest. She looks like she's following in #5's footsteps so she may have a big stretch ahead of her.
IMG_1371.JPG

Here's #9 at 50.75" tall. She has the best looking buds and will be a real treat to clean at harvest time. My guess is that she has more indica traits than #2, 5 & 8 because of her buds.
IMG_1372.JPG

IMG_1374.JPG

And here's # 10 at 42'5" tall and looking a lot like #9.
IMG_1375.JPG

These remaining pics were taken today through a microscope of the sample cutting I took six days ago. The stigmata have turned brown since I took the cutting and a few trichomes have turned yellow. This pic shows a node on a lateral branch. It's an alternating node because only one leaf emerged (on the far left) and just to the right a single branch emerged. To the right of the branch is the branch coming from the main stem. To the right are two stigmata emerging from the calyx. In this pic there are two calyxes, if this was a paired node it would have had 2 leaves, 2 branches and 4 calyxes. On this plant (#2) the first ten nodes were paired and the alternate nodes started at the eleventh node. I note these things to better define this particular variety because I'll grow this again and may do some breeding to try and get a higher percentage of sativa. Of note is the large amount of trichomes on the branches and much less on the leaves. When I first researched Malawi Gold it was noted that the stems/branches had trichomes.
Mar 13-_2_1.jpg

A little bit more magnification to show how trichomes are packed in there and some yellowing.
Mar 13_2_3a.jpg

This pic is the tip of the sample cutting. Instead of two calyxes at a node this shows a number of calyxes forming a bud. Small but packed with trichomes.
Mar 13_2_4.jpg

Today, I started preparing a dark room for when I'm ready to harvest. I plan to remove #2 and put her in a dark room for 24-48 hrs. prior to harvesting. I won't try and harvest a branch at a time like I considered. Harvesting #2 in going to be a chore. Not quite sure how I will do it but I have a few ideas. Sticky and smelling heavenly.
Beautiful looking girls my friend im enjoying your grow immensely,
I admire your patience.

Thanks Bill284. Doing a grow journal is partially for my own benefit but also for anyone who may learn from it. I have a record of the grow that I can revisit, members add to the journal that I would otherwise miss out on and for others to benefit from it is a real plus. I have patience when it comes to gardening; I think it's a prerequisite. I was given a few Mexican hot pepper seeds to grow a few years ago. One of the seeds germinated and grew to about 6' tall. I put it outside in the spring and brought it in in the fall each year. It took 4 years to produce peppers. I didn't know what variety it was but I eventually identified it as Chiltepin. Chiltepin is a wild pepper that is considered to be the 'mother of all peppers'. It's thought that all peppers are derived from the Chiltepin. So, for me the time it took was well worth it. That's just me and my passion for gardening.

Thanks Bill284. Doing a grow journal is partially for my own benefit but also for anyone who may learn from it. I have a record of the grow that I can revisit, members add to the journal that I would otherwise miss out on and for others to benefit from it is a real plus. I have patience when it comes to gardening; I think it's a prerequisite. I was given a few Mexican hot pepper seeds to grow a few years ago. One of the seeds germinated and grew to about 6' tall. I put it outside in the spring and brought it in in the fall each year. It took 4 years to produce peppers. I didn't know what variety it was but I eventually identified it as Chiltepin. Chiltepin is a wild pepper that is considered to be the 'mother of all peppers'. It's thought that all peppers are derived from the Chiltepin. So, for me the time it took was well worth it. That's just me and my passion for gardening.
Wow 4 years that's dedication. This must be a walk in the park compared to that. I used to think 4 or 5 months was a long time.

Wow 4 years that's dedication. This must be a walk in the park compared to that. I used to think 4 or 5 months was a long time.
The Chiltepin was an unknown so it became intriguing when it grew so large and then I was determined to get some seeds however long it would take. Sativa on the other hand is a known so when I sowed the seeds I knew I was looking at probably 4 months of flowering time. I've noticed for some time now that things that are worthwhile are seldom easy.

Harvesting #2 in going to be a chore. Not quite sure how I will do it but I have a few ideas.

One thing that works well for the super scraggly and thinly budded strains is to cob (ferment) them, or part of them. Makes for a good cure and turns it into something quite different and often more useful.

Back
Top Bottom