420 Magazine Background

Male or female? Who can tell by looking at the early pre-flowers

Stunger

I have 4 plants, they are 8 weeks old. 1 is currently untopped, and the other 3 are Quadlined.

I have taken 2 close up pics of areas around the nodes of each plant to try and determine the preflower gender. Because these structures are small and hard to capture, and I feel, that sometimes when taken from a different angle what you previously had thought to be male is now perhaps female?!? It seems to me from previously grows, that there can be a bit of variation of the preflower structures. Of my 4 plants, my guesses on their gender are as follows
1-WW - ?
2-WW - possibly female
3-WWG - ?
4-WWG - possibly female

Plants 1-WW and 3-WWG I am not sure about, as they seem to still exhibit a degree of 'pointyness' and they don't seem to be on a stems like I have seen before with confirmed males but that may simply be because they are at an early stage of development. Unless it is 100% clear that they are males then I don't want to cull them in case I make a mistake, and at the same time I am viewing them thru 'hoping-for-female' tinted glasses!

What gender are these?

1-WW

2-WW

3-WWG

4-WWG

All thoughts or guesses are very welcome!

Old Salt

Member of the Month: Apr, Nov 2019
I have 4 plants, they are 8 weeks old. 1 is currently untopped, and the other 3 are Quadlined.

I have taken 2 close up pics of areas around the nodes of each plant to try and determine the preflower gender. Because these structures are small and hard to capture, and I feel, that sometimes when taken from a different angle what you previously had thought to be male is now perhaps female?!? It seems to me from previously grows, that there can be a bit of variation of the preflower structures. Of my 4 plants, my guesses on their gender are as follows
1-WW - ?
2-WW - possibly female
3-WWG - ?
4-WWG - possibly female

Plants 1-WW and 3-WWG I am not sure about, as they seem to still exhibit a degree of 'pointyness' and they don't seem to be on a stems like I have seen before with confirmed males but that may simply be because they are at an early stage of development. Unless it is 100% clear that they are males then I don't want to cull them in case I make a mistake, and at the same time I am viewing them thru 'hoping-for-female' tinted glasses!

What gender are these?

1-WW

2-WW

3-WWG

4-WWG

All thoughts or guesses are very welcome!
Give it a week or so until they show whether or not they have pistils. It looks like you MIGHT have a male or two in there, but it's to early for me to be certain.

Stunger

I am not expecting pistils to show for at least another 7-8 weeks. As with my previous outdoor grows, I haven't seen first pistils until early-mid-late January. But I agree, it doesn't look too flash for 2 of them. I am just putting this out there as it can be handy establishing the gender early, and it is interesting to hear of others grower's take on the closeups of the pre-flowers. Cheers!

Stunger

Stunger

I feel that all 4 plants have displayed very similar looking gender structures. Hopefully once these are revealed, in future grows I will be able to learn from this and pick up early gender signs more easily (prior to pistils erupting). Last season when I got a male it displayed it's balls pretty early. So I am keeping my fingers crossed that if these two were male they would have shown themselves to be earlier. I am very happy for anyone to chime in with what they guess the resulting gender will be!

The 2 remaining plants with unknown gender are 1-WW and 4-WWG. Here are a couple of closeups of gender structures at their nodes.

1-WW

4-WWG

Old Salt

Old Salt

I feel that all 4 plants have displayed very similar looking gender structures. Hopefully once these are revealed, in future grows I will be able to learn from this and pick up early gender signs more easily (prior to pistils erupting). Last season when I got a male it displayed it's balls pretty early. So I am keeping my fingers crossed that if these two were male they would have shown themselves to be earlier. I am very happy for anyone to chime in with what they guess the resulting gender will be!

The 2 remaining plants with unknown gender are 1-WW and 4-WWG. Here are a couple of closeups of gender structures at their nodes.

1-WW

4-WWG

1-ww looks male, 4-ww undetermined

Stunger

1-ww looks male, 4-ww undetermined
I feel the same altho I wish otherwise!

I hope they show clearly what they are soon, as I will then reuse the pots for some Gorilla Glue Auto female seeds that I will kick off.

Top Bottom