Mammoth p in hydroponics good or bad?

That is an interesting question. I've just had a read on the manufacturer's website, and they seem to be pretty sure it'll be fine in a DWC reservoir.

DISCLAIMER: I have never used this product. But here are my opinions on the question:

On the other hand, lol... This appears to be one of those "stinky organic bacterial soup" products (and there's nothing inherently wrong with that, in and of itself). However... Most everyone who has any real experience with DWC hydroponics recommends maintaining as high a level of DO (dissolved oxygen) as possible; personally, I have joked that, if you throw a mouse in the reservoir and it isn't still alive after half an hour, that you could use a little more aeration ;) . In other words, I'm of the opinion that you cannot have too much oxygen in there - that you should keep your reservoir supersaturated with O₂... While it is true in theory that one can have too much DO, I very seriously doubt that anyone is going to ever attain that state in practice. A well-oxygenated reservoir can do several things. It helps facilitate the production of lots of healthy roots and an overall state of good health for the plant, of course. It helps the plant be a "more efficient feeder." In concert with adequate airflow through the canopy, it can make the difference between a healthy plant and a crunchy one if/when the garden suffers a climate control issue and temperatures skyrocket well above the generally accepted "sweet spot."

But it can also encourage runaway aerobic microbial growth in the reservoir. If I remember correctly, there are four strains of bacteria in Mammoth P: two anaerobic ones, an aerobic one, and a saprophytic one. The latter cannot survive in a highly oxygenated environment (as far as I know), so that strain would probably die pretty quickly (no harm, but no benefit). There are three classes of anaerobic bacteria: obligate anaerobes, which are harmed by the presence of oxygen; aerotolerant organisms, which cannot use oxygen for growth but tolerate its presence; and facultative anaerobes, which can grow without oxygen but use oxygen if it is present. Depending on which class the two anaerobic bacteria are in, they could thrive, survive... or die.

I wouldn't want any of them in my DWC reservoirs :rolleyes: . Which wouldn't be much of a problem, lol, because when I'm growing with a DWC setup, I like to supplement with H₂O₂ in order to give a little O₂ boost when it (quickly) decomposes into O₂ and H₂O - and to help ensure that my reservoir remains sterile other than the plant that's growing in it.

<SHRUGS> But that's me. If you are growing with one of the "organic" nutrient lines such as Earth Juice, you probably follow a different aeration routine than I do so that you don't end up brewing a soup in your reservoir anyway, therefore - as in all things - "your mileage may vary" applies, I suppose.

By the way, isn't that stuff like $80 to $90 for a tiny little 250ml bottle, LMFAO? If I bought it and spilled a drop on my hand, and it didn't cause me to have a ten-minute orgasm, I'd be looking to kick some @ss back at the store :rofl:. But I'm poor thrifty - if you happen to have one of those $1,200 Apple cell phones in your pocket, well, we don't live in different worlds, we live in different universes - so, again, I suppose that "YMMV" applies.

That is an interesting question. I've just had a read on the manufacturer's website, and they seem to be pretty sure it'll be fine in a DWC reservoir.

DISCLAIMER: I have never used this product. But here are my opinions on the question:

On the other hand, lol... This appears to be one of those "stinky organic bacterial soup" products (and there's nothing inherently wrong with that, in and of itself). However... Most everyone who has any real experience with DWC hydroponics recommends maintaining as high a level of DO (dissolved oxygen) as possible; personally, I have joked that, if you throw a mouse in the reservoir and it isn't still alive after half an hour, that you could use a little more aeration ;) . In other words, I'm of the opinion that you cannot have too much oxygen in there - that you should keep your reservoir supersaturated with O₂... While it is true in theory that one can have too much DO, I very seriously doubt that anyone is going to ever attain that state in practice. A well-oxygenated reservoir can do several things. It helps facilitate the production of lots of healthy roots and an overall state of good health for the plant, of course. It helps the plant be a "more efficient feeder." In concert with adequate airflow through the canopy, it can make the difference between a healthy plant and a crunchy one if/when the garden suffers a climate control issue and temperatures skyrocket well above the generally accepted "sweet spot."

But it can also encourage runaway aerobic microbial growth in the reservoir. If I remember correctly, there are four strains of bacteria in Mammoth P: two anaerobic ones, an aerobic one, and a saprophytic one. The latter cannot survive in a highly oxygenated environment (as far as I know), so that strain would probably die pretty quickly (no harm, but no benefit). There are three classes of anaerobic bacteria: obligate anaerobes, which are harmed by the presence of oxygen; aerotolerant organisms, which cannot use oxygen for growth but tolerate its presence; and facultative anaerobes, which can grow without oxygen but use oxygen if it is present. Depending on which class the two anaerobic bacteria are in, they could thrive, survive... or die.

I wouldn't want any of them in my DWC reservoirs :rolleyes: . Which wouldn't be much of a problem, lol, because when I'm growing with a DWC setup, I like to supplement with H₂O₂ in order to give a little O₂ boost when it (quickly) decomposes into O₂ and H₂O - and to help ensure that my reservoir remains sterile other than the plant that's growing in it.

<SHRUGS> But that's me. If you are growing with one of the "organic" nutrient lines such as Earth Juice, you probably follow a different aeration routine than I do so that you don't end up brewing a soup in your reservoir anyway, therefore - as in all things - "your mileage may vary" applies, I suppose.

By the way, isn't that stuff like $80 to $90 for a tiny little 250ml bottle, LMFAO? If I bought it and spilled a drop on my hand, and it didn't cause me to have a ten-minute orgasm, I'd be looking to kick some @ss back at the store :rofl:. But I'm poor thrifty - if you happen to have one of those $1,200 Apple cell phones in your pocket, well, we don't live in different worlds, we live in different universes - so, again, I suppose that "YMMV" applies.
I got a big bottle of it as a sample and used a little in my coco grow I didn't notice any negative affects or really any significant positive responses, But I figured in hydro you have a little bit less microbe activity so it maybe necessary to add some, i'll give your hydrogen peroxide thing a test never hurts to try something new

The things we end up with for free... ;)

Back
Top Bottom