Man's Campaign To Get Cannabis Extract On NHS

Shandar

A man is campaigning to be given cannabis extract on the NHS saying it is the only thing which controls his pain and allows him to eat.

Jacob Barrow, 27, says he has been left in near constant pain after surgery seven years ago to resolve complications from a childhood hernia.

The operation was meant to remove scar tissue which had built up since surgery when he was born to correct a massive hernia in his abdomen.

But the procedure instead left him with agonising abdominal spasms leaving him unable to eat, with severe digestive problems and severely underweight.

Conventional medications have been prescribed but he has has been unable to cope with their side effects.

Jacob, from Chorlton, Manchester, says the only thing which relieves the pain is cannabis.

He currently buys the drug illegally to eat or make tea, but is campaigning to be given the medicinal extract Sativex on the NHS.

A petition calling for him to be given the medication attracted over 1,000 signatures.

Jacob is also being supported by the United Patients Alliance, which backs medicinal cannabis users.

Sativex is thought to work through its active ingredients THC and CBD working on receptors in the brain which in turn control the body's immune cells.

Used as a mouth spray, Sativex is currently only licenced for use by patients with Multiple Sclerosis as an 'add-on therapy' if other medication proves ineffective.

The MEN understands under Central Manchester Clinical Commissioning Group, a decision on whether to prescribe Sativex comes down to individual hospital consultants.

Jacob, a musician, who is currently unable to work due to the chronic pain, said: "I've been told by doctors they don't want to operate again because in a worst case scenario it could kill me.

"I've been prescribed morphine and tramadol but they all just mess with my head and I don't want to take them indefinitely.

"On bad days I am curled in the fetal position in pain and it's very difficult to eat.

cannabis-oil-extract.jpg

News Moderator: Shandar @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Manchester news | All Manchester News
Website: Man's campaign to be get cannabis extract on NHS after surgery leaves him with agonising spasms | Manchester news

Back
Top Bottom