Marijuana And Crohn's Disease/Gastrointestinal Disorders

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
O'Shaughnessy's published a study in its Autumn 2005 issue entitled "Cannabis Alleviates Symptoms of Crohn's Disease," by Jeff Hergenrather, M.D., that found:

"[Crohn's] patients described marked improvements with the use of cannabis.

Beneficial effects were reported for appetite, pain, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, activity, and depression. Patients also reported that cannabis use resulted in weight gain, fewer stools per day and fewer flare-ups of less severity...

Cannabis-using Crohn's patients not only report significant relief of their symptoms, they are also able to reduce the amount of immunosuppressive medications that have been a mainstay of conventional treatment...

Crohn's disease is so debilitating and life-threatening and so difficult to manage with conventional medications it is very encouraging to find that cannabis is proving to be an effective treatment for it right now."
(Autumn 2005) O'Shaughnessy's

The Journal of Clinical Investigation published an article in April, 2004 by F. Massa et.al. from the Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry in Munich, entitled "The Endogenous Cannabinoid System Protects Against Colonic Inflammation," that found:

"The major active constitutent of the plant Cannabis sativa (marijuana), THC, and a variety of natural and synthetic cannabinoids have been shown to possess... anti-inflammatory activities...

Results indicate that the endogenous cannabinoid system represents a promising therapeutic target for the treatment of intestinal disease conditions characterized by excessive inflammatory responses."
(April 2004) The Journal of Clinical Investigation

Gut, a peer-reviewed medical journal, published a June 2001 review entitled "Cannabinoids and the Gastrointestinal Tract" by R. Pertwee, Ph.D., that found:

"Cannabinoid receptor agonists delay gastric emptying in humans as well as in rodents, and they may also inhibit human gastric acid secretion.

It is also worth noting that there have been a number of anecdotal accounts of the effective use of cannabis in the past against dysentery and cholera."
(June 2001) Gut

Cell and Tissue Research published an article in October 2000 entitled "Localization of CB1-Cannabinoid Receptor Immunoreactivity in the Porcine Enteric Nervous System" by A. Kulkarni-Narla et al. that observed:

"Cannabis has been used for centuries in the medicinal treatment of gastrointestinal disorders. "
(October 2000) Cell and Tissue Research

The United Kingdom Parliament's 1998 Science and Technology-Ninth Report noted:

"Dr. Anita Holdcroft of Hammersmith Hospital...has reported the results of a placebo-controlled trial of cannabis in a patient with severe chronic pain of gastrointestinal origin...

The patient's demand for morphine was substantially lower during treatment with cannabis than during a period of placebo treatment."
(1998) United Kingdom Parliament

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: ProCon.org
Copyright: 2010 ProCon.org
Website: Is Marijuana an Effective Treatment for Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, or Other Inflammatory Bowel Diseases? - Medical Marijuana - ProCon.org

For me smoking makes me bleed more,
however eating MJ like aspargus or broccoli stops the outbreak.

I expect some sort of anti inflamatory effect from the CBN?
and a relief in the process from ∆9 THC.

This may sound crazy... And had I not seen the proof with my own eyes I wouldn't believe it...
I had inflammation in a few areas... Mainly my Ileum (which I no longer have), a bit in my colon, and some crohn's ish effects in my stomach...

After smoking and dropping my other meds for about a year i had a endoscopy and colonoscopy... The inflammation in my colon is nearly GONE. The inflammation in my stomach is reduced! The ileum could not be helped due to scarred tissue.. So I had that sucker chopped out..
However, when it was in I was able to eat with about a 6mm clearing in my ileum.. BC (before cannabis), very soon after eating I could FEEL it getting stuck and would have to lay down because of pain until it passed... The usual space is more like 3cm+.. So, proof of its help with intestinal spasticity.

I am not telling people to drop their meds, I am merely sharing my experience and what made me choose this as my main form of medication. I have been off all pharma meds for about... I think its actually nearly 5 years now.. Dang.. I only get flare ups when I have chicken, that is my "no-no" food.

My doctors were jerks by the way. I never got a SINGLE pain killer (though in hind sight, I am glad after seeing friends run into the ground by them) regardless of how much pain I was in. But then again, the only time I ever asked for one was when I was having a reaction to a certain "stay in the hospital for infusion" immunosuppressants.. Worst pain in my life, laying on pillows hurt! Left me with nerve damage too, but thats another story.

Back
Top Bottom