Marijuana Church Leader To Go On Trial

Ronnie

Jury selection is scheduled to begin tomorrow in the Los Angeles trial of a minister of a Hollywood church that uses marijuana during services.

The Reverend Craig X Rubin, leader of the 420 Temple, argued in a court hearing that marijuana is a religious sacrament and its usage in his church is protected under federal law.

But the judge ruled that Rubin could not use the federal law as a defense because he faces only state charges.

Rubin, who is representing himself, told the judge he would file a writ challenging the ruling and would consider a plea deal if it stands.

Rubin was arrested last fall and freed after posting $20,000 bail.

He faces up to seven years in prison if convicted of possessing marijuana for sale.

News Hawk: Drboomhauer 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: KEYETV.COM
Author: Associated Press
Copyright: © MMVII, CBS Stations Group of Texas L.P. All Rights Reserved.
Website: keyetv.com - Marijuana Church Leader To Go On Trial

I'm not familiar with that church. Does anyone know anything about them; their doctrine, etc.?

He has more than federal law, its his religious freedom according to the constitution which will over rule any state law.

is kinda interesting how this pans out. I pretty well know how it will end, I just wonder what route it will take.

It seems to me that the Constitution will have no bearing on the case considering the Feds operate as if the Constitution is just a historical document.

The Constitution says that those powers not SPECIFICLY[sp?] delegated to the Federal Govt.belong first to the States,and then to the PEOPLE.Still,politicians call themselves"conservatives" while they create a Monster govt.,that tramples all rights..

You are right about one thing the gov is gonna do what it wants to. That is untill we take it back. Don't get me wrong I'm not an anarchist or anything, but this counrty was founded on the belief that if we don't like it we can change it. Join Norml or some other organization. Safer is really good, they have a good plan for legalizing. Most important vote out those dumbass republican war mongoring facist assholes and vote in some hippy from the Buffalo River Valley. Hell he/she wouldn't be dropping bombs on Afganistan, they would be importing that kick ass affy that all us old stoners grew up hearing about.

You are right about one thing the gov is gonna do what it wants to. That is untill we take it back. Don't get me wrong I'm not an anarchist or anything, but this counrty was founded on the belief that if we don't like it we can change it. Join Norml or some other organization. Safer is really good, they have a good plan for legalizing. Most important vote out those dumbass republican war mongoring facist assholes and vote in some hippy from the Buffalo River Valley. Hell he/she wouldn't be dropping bombs on Afganistan, they would be importing that kick ass affy that all us old stoners grew up hearing about.

:laughtwo::laughtwo: IMAO....u got it right Red! :smokin:

Last year i registered to vote as a republican in ca.,and then i went to the poll and voted mostly Peace and Freedom Party,after studying their platform.As i see it,they say the Federal govt.sends its soldiers all over the world to upset governments and steal natural resourses like oil,while letting the masses grovel in the dirt..

Re: Marijuana Church Leader To Go On Trial!

Hi All, I am a Member of the online Universal Life Church (free ordination!), which "Rev." X is also a member! Unfortunatly, what he did was start up a church/temple as a Minister (OK), in Hollywood, that allowed anyone to become a member for a $100. annual fee (What?!!)! They did NOT have to be a "Medical" Marijuana Patient (a problem here)! He then used the MJ as a sort of "sage" wand during a ceremoney/ritual (OK), but then allowed members to buy MJ from him/his church/temple to smoke/use (a No-No)! Granted the Freedom of Religion is one thing, but to allow non-Medical Marijuana Patients (remember prop.215 & sb420?) to buy (Oops! Dealing here, he was!) MJ from him (He is NOT a dispensary!), was very problimatic (no wonder they "Busted" him!)! Then, he is now representing himself in court, as a "Rev." (another mistake!), rather than getting a good attorney (I thought he had one?!)! This guy, unfortunatly, doesn't have a leg to stand on, as they say . . . . he's going to go to prison for dealing MJ (sales), religion does NOT count here, with that! Now, if he was a dispensary, verifying MMJ patients, to become Church/Temple members (for an annual fee of $100.), then he would've been safer with his ceremonies/rituals & sales via suggested "donation" prices, I feel! But he blew it, for himself, his "ministry" and the MMJ patients community!!! My $$ worth, here! Too bad, he has a large family! =Judy=

Check out this site for Universal Life Church: www.ulc.net or www.themonastery.org This is where "Rev." Craig X. Rubin was "ordained", as are many others (Me, too!) . . . it is a non-denominational church! "Rev." Craig X. Rubin decided to make his Church a Temple(420) and use Judeo-Christian teachings & a form of ceremonial ritual(s), too. But he "blew it" with the ways he used MJ & sold it to paying members! He could've opened a MMJ dispensary/Temple, that served as a Church/Temple to it's members using MMJ. He IS in HOT water, now! =Judy=

Ijust read the ULC sites, and appearently "Rev." X. didn't read it very well . . . . as it says when starting up a Ministry, it has to be operating "within the Law"!!!! So as NOT to hurt anyone! Seems he hurt his family, his members, & the MMJ comunity + what a waist of money, going to court & trail . . . . he's going to prison! My $$ worth, here on this. =Judy=

Re: Marijuana Church Leader To Go On Trial!

Hi All, I am a Member of the online Universal Life Church (free ordination!), which "Rev." X is also a member! Unfortunatly, what he did was start up a church/temple as a Minister (OK), in Hollywood, that allowed anyone to become a member for a $100. annual fee (What?!!)! They did NOT have to be a "Medical" Marijuana Patient (a problem here)! He then used the MJ as a sort of "sage" wand during a ceremoney/ritual (OK), but then allowed members to buy MJ from him/his church/temple to smoke/use (a No-No)! Granted the Freedom of Religion is one thing, but to allow non-Medical Marijuana Patients (remember prop.215 & sb420?) to buy (Oops! Dealing here, he was!) MJ from him (He is NOT a dispensary!), was very problimatic (no wonder they "Busted" him!)! Then, he is now representing himself in court, as a "Rev." (another mistake!), rather than getting a good attorney (I thought he had one?!)! This guy, unfortunatly, doesn't have a leg to stand on, as they say . . . . he's going to go to prison for dealing MJ (sales), religion does NOT count here, with that! Now, if he was a dispensary, verifying MMJ patients, to become Church/Temple members (for an annual fee of $100.), then he would've been safer with his ceremonies/rituals & sales via suggested "donation" prices, I feel! But he blew it, for himself, his "ministry" and the MMJ patients community!!! My $$ worth, here! Too bad, he has a large family! =Judy=

knowing cali law like you apparently do, what do you think would have happened had he not charged any fees whatsoever? in my opinion no church or reverend should ever charge, or set minimum donations for anything. if he was a true believer and simply had services whereby a person could come in and worship God or just meditate, but used mj as part of the celebratory service, do you think he would of gotten hassled at all? I mean obviously as soon as you hear that he was selling smoke to his flock, come on. you know there is a problem there. but if he was true and genuinely believed he was helping people out, not for $$ but truly to help out his fellow man, and the law was aware of this, do you think he would be in trouble? just curious.

How about the idea of MMJ people joining or forming an MMJ only place of spirituality...like a form of scientology...........you must be a paying contributing member with valid MD rec & all...:laughtwo: :smokin: Just a little flight of fancy....That Rev. is a hinderence and I'm glad he's shut down.

isn't it amazing that you can be protected by federal law but still be prosecuted by the state? who are we protected by? shouldn't they protect us from the corrupt state?

I was visiting a friend in SC and went to a meeting of secessionists. After listening to them, I thought I don't want to be governed by these right wing thumpers. If it's not the feds, then it's the state. And it doesn't seem to matter who's in office.

Did you see how easy it is to become an Ordained Minister? I did it to see how easy it was.. What a Joke! Whatever happened to Seminary?
Very good Reverend! Me too! Now we can put those clergy stickers on our cars and feel important because we have been C-H-O-S-E-N!:laughtwo:

Back
Top Bottom