Marijuana Compound Efficient Against Alzheimer's Disease

Truth Seeker

It seems that the THC main compound in marijuana is very beneficial against Alzheimer's disease, because it can inhibit the formation of beta-amyloid plaque on neurons which lead to the decline of cognitive function. The THC compound in marijuana may be extremely useful at the developing of a new generation of more efficient drugs against the neurodegenerative disease, highlighted the team of researchers who carried out the study.

The study was led by Kim Janda, Ph.D., director of the Worm Institute of Research and Medicine at Scripps Research Institute and his colleagues. It was a test-tube, but results were very promising taking into account the fact that THC compound in marijuana was very potent against acetylcholinesterase enzyme. The particular enzyme plays a key-role in the formation of amyloid plaque on the brain cells of Alzheimer's disease, which further causes memory and cognitive function to decline in neurodegenerative sufferers.

"While we are certainly not advocating the use of illegal drugs, these findings offer convincing evidence that THC possesses remarkable inhibitory qualities, especially when compared to Alzheimer's drugs currently available to patients. Although our study is far from final, it does show that there is a previously unrecognized molecular mechanism through which THC may directly affect the progression of Alzheimer's disease," pinpointed Dr. Kim Panda.

The results of the current study have been published in the Molecular Pharmaceutics Journal and may provide a starting point for the development of a new type of medical treatment, which could fight more efficiently brain plaque and the damage of cognitive function. Lead researcher Panda and his colleagues concluded in their report: "THC and its analogs may provide an improved treatment for both the symptoms and progression of Alzheimer's disease."

Source: Softpedia.com

My best friend growing up is worried because he has a chance through genetics to get Alzheimer's like his grandfather. I've been researching it a lot and gathering all the information I can and this is another step. Thank you for sharing information it really does help humanity

Back
Top Bottom