Marijuana for Ill

Weedpipe

420 Member
I was wondering whether there was any discussion of the pending statewide medical marijuana legislation, Senate Bill 1381 and House Bill 2514?

The Illinois Nurses Association officially endorsed the need for a medical marijuana law in 2004 and surely the legality of medical marijuana is worth discussing with these lawmakers. Especially when so many are concerned with the costs of health care, an option that has no documented overdose fatalities and would be drastically cheaper than most pharmaceutical medicines merits some sort of mentioning.

I do know that there are very sick Illinois citizens who are already using marijuana per their doctor’s recommendation. Plus, I do know that Senators Pam Althoff and Dan Duffy voted against SB 1381 and could not find enough compassion to support patients. Those senators ought to be ashamed of those votes.

Illinois lawmakers need to protect those who could benefit from using marijuana, such as those undergoing chemotherapy treatment, living with HIV/AIDS, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, ALS or any of the other specifically listed qualifying conditions in the legislation. Illinois needs a medical marijuana program because patients are not criminals.

News Hawk- Weedpipe 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Northwest Herald
Author: Dan Linn - Executive director, Illinois Cannabis Patients Association
Copyright: 2009 Northwest Herald

I was wondering whether there was any discussion of the pending statewide medical marijuana legislation, Senate Bill 1381 and House Bill 2514?

The Illinois Nurses Association officially endorsed the need for a medical marijuana law in 2004 and surely the legality of medical marijuana is worth discussing with these lawmakers. Especially when so many are concerned with the costs of health care, an option that has no documented overdose fatalities and would be drastically cheaper than most pharmaceutical medicines merits some sort of mentioning.

I do know that there are very sick Illinois citizens who are already using marijuana per their doctor's recommendation. Plus, I do know that Senators Pam Althoff and Dan Duffy voted against SB 1381 and could not find enough compassion to support patients. Those senators ought to be ashamed of those votes.

Illinois lawmakers need to protect those who could benefit from using marijuana, such as those undergoing chemotherapy treatment, living with HIV/AIDS, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, ALS or any of the other specifically listed qualifying conditions in the legislation. Illinois needs a medical marijuana program because patients are not criminals.

Thank you weedpipe for starting THIS thread. SB 1381 is one of the best bills that has been written. It is rather strict but allows for dispensaries (Medical Cannabis Organizations or MCO's) It is strict in the sense that each patient may only have 2 oz of material (or two months worth which the IL dept of Health will figure out what that means later) and six plants, three of which can be mature.
Caregivers are going to play a different roll than what they already do in most states. Caregivers are only going to be able to grow for 1 patient. The only reason caregivers are even allowed is so people who already have a caregiver for their health concerns can grow Medical Cannabis for their patients. If anyone wants to grow Medical Cannabis for more than one person they have to start a Medical Cannabis Organization. Also patients who want to receive their medicine from an MCO, have to pick 1 MCO and can not go to any dispensary that they feel like or are close to at the moment. They have to stick to who they pick.

People who want to start a MCO will be subject to a Federal Background check and will have to pay $5000 to get their licence. The IL dept of Health will probably impose a few more restrictions on this also (like must be non-for-profit).

Bottom line, IL is doing it's best to weed out the criminals who want to keep selling to their rec users and making sure patients still get the help they need.

Thank you for the posts. I am interested in learning as much as possible about the current laws and the changes that are coming. I'd like to become a caregiver at the very least. Please keep my information and contact me when meetings come up.

Back
Top Bottom