Marijuana Lawsuit

XLE420

The ACLU and other groups moved Friday to intervene in a San Diego lawsuit that seeks to overturn California's Proposition 215, which makes medical marijuana legal for patients with a doctor's recommendation.

San Diego, San Bernardino and Merced counties argue in the suit, filed in state court, that federal laws prohibiting all use of marijuana invalidate state laws allowing qualified patients to use medical marijuana.

The ACLU, Americans for Safe Access and the Drug Policy Alliance filed legal papers Friday seeking to intervene in the proceedings on behalf of several medical marijuana patients and patients' groups, as well as their caregivers and doctors.

"These counties have turned a deaf ear to the pleas of sick and dying people, and now they have shown that they are equally willing to ignore the law," said Joe Elford, ASA's chief counsel. "ASA is stepping in to ensure the rights of patients are protected and that the will of the people is upheld."

The suit challenges state laws permitting patients to use, and doctors to recommend, medical marijuana under the explicit protection of state law.

The lawsuit further challenges the state's Medical Marijuana Program Act, which calls for the implementation of an identification card program that would allow police and others to identify legitimate medical marijuana patients.

Proposition 215 was approved by California voters in 1996.

Newshawk: SX420 - 420 Magazine
Source: Fox 6
Author: -
Copyright: Copyright © 2006 Bay City Television

They don't take morphine away from a dying person in the hospital, why should they take cannabis away from the same patient.

I'm sure they have heard it, a number of times befor I even thought about MMJ. The point doesn't need to be made to them but to the public who is blinded by the lies putout by the Government.

thats the whole story "they" are so blinded by theyre lies. well i really dont know what to think anymore besides the fact that i am not livin free and that kinda mixes my thoughts up, its almost as if i cant even imagine the idea of being free.its almost humanly unfathomable. the only freedom im afraid ill get is in death. and thats pretty unclear so i only wish i could be free now.

Back
Top Bottom