Marijuana Legal Use Age

JMo15

So obviously whenever marijuana is finally legalized, there still will most likely be an age limit on who can hold, buy and use it. What do you think would be the best age and what do you believe will actually be the set age limit?

I think 18 to buy, 21 to sale would be good.
However, I think 21 to buy and 25 to sale would be more likely.

I would go with whatever the legal drinking age is for your parta the world. It's 18 here, so 18 to smoke and buy.

But... Let's start with it being decriminalized and we'll talk about legalization after ;)

Once we get closer to legalisation we are going to have to start thinking of regulation. As members of the cannabis community, society will look to us to provide reasoned advice on the most suitable way to integrate cannabis into society. We are going to have to define such things as what was brought up in this thread. I think we need to have in the back of our minds that the halleluja day will eventually come, and we have to have the answers society will be looking for from us. And who better than us stoners to determine how best to regulate ourselves. I would hate for cannabis to be on the brink of legalisation and have non stoners making the regulations. We have to be the one's defining regulation.

shrug, there's that saying, you can fight and die for your country at 18 but can't have a drink? now, i hate drinking, but i did agree that's stupid, so i'd say 18 period.

18 to buy, if you want to sell it, you of course have to sell it to 18+ or it's just like cigarettes, you don't need a legal age to sell it, just over 18, and then also, if a minor is caught with it, then they should just have to give it up and that's that, like if a cop catches you with cigarettes when you're a kid, they'll take them, maybe just the one, and put it out, and say stop..

if they're nice.

but, in some states legal adult age is 17, so i say 17 in those states.

Since young people's brains don't fully develop until the early twenties, they really shouldn't have anything before then. The part still developing is the frontal lobe that governs reasoning, problem-solving, sexual activity, impulse control, stuff like that. I started at 13. Was that too early? For sure. But then the alternative would have been to go seriously wacko, so which is worse? It should be between the young person and an enlighted doctor. I'd say 21 would be reasonable (excluding our men & women in war situations).

i started around 13 also, back in the summer of love. i probably helped save my life. i was going through some really terrible stuff then. without pot and music i don't think i would have made it through. was it a crutch, maybe but i needed a crutch. I don't recommend it for kids by any stretch, its just my personal journey.

I believe it should be 18 to purchase, but it should be the parents responsibility as to what age reasonable consumption should begin. As with alcohol, kids will always be able to access cannabis, so I think a loose framework of regulation will work so long as it is geared around parental control. It is much like the laws that we have for alcohol where I am. Any penalties for breaching that should be a misdemeanour under law, same as for minors caught with alcohol. IMO

California is as close to legal for medical marijuana as a State can get and this is how California SB420 reads on age:

SEC. 2. Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 11362.7) is added to Chapter 6 of Division 10 of the Health and Safety Code, to read:

Article 2.5. Medical Marijuana Program

Top of Page

11362.7. For purposes of this article, the following definitions shall apply:

... BLAH-BLAH-BLAH...

(e) A primary caregiver shall be at least 18 years of age, unless the primary caregiver is the parent of a minor child who is a qualified patient or a person with an identification card or the primary caregiver is a person otherwise entitled to make medical decisions under state law pursuant to Sections 6922, 7002, 7050, or 7120 of the Family Code.

Outside of the medical marijuana realm I say this.. if a kid wants it, he'll get it whether it's legal or not.

I agree with Mr. Moose, the consequences of marijuana posession should be the same for the minor as alcohol.:cheesygrinsmiley::peace:

i think if 18 OR 21 became the legal cannabis consumption age things would go pretty awry. once they find out that cannabis is healthier for you than cigarettes or alcohol, dont think there'd be too much people who wouldnt consume it.

maybe starting off with a higher age bracket..then bring it back down wen things have settled a little....

not saying kids shoudln't have the right to experiment or wont get their hands on it somehow even if the age was brought up...but yeah...

haha well just my thought...

^u started same as me Lord Mong. hahha

21 and random people of any age should not be allowed to sell herb on the streets or outta their houses. Selling herb should be set-up just like any other business in america and I think it would work in the favor of the smoker if they were able to purchase all their buds/420gear in and only in a 'coffeshop' like atmosphere or somewhere similar. That would minimize the threat of buying bad cannabis or ,in other words, knock-off bud. And if they did screw you over you could legally get your money refunded or take legal action, if necessary. It would make the best pot available ALL the time, think about it... If you open a restaurant and say you serve steaks but instead when people order a steak you bring them a burnt hamburger patty instead they arent gonna eat there, they are gonna go eat down the road at the place that serves up fat juicy steaks for the same price. My point is you can't keep a legal business open by ripping people off all the time, it just doesn't work, so the whole "shady dealer" type would be done away with and in turn would lower the crime related to marijuana. It would also boost the cities/state's funds which can be used to fund the education systems, public roadways, state workers, police departments, government housing, public transportation systems and tons of other things that need to be fixed now but cannot be fixed all at once b/c we don't have the funds, this would make the money each state needed for the renovations almost instantly available, IMO.... I'm rambling on here, sorry bout that, lol I'm high. Anyway you all get the point :peace:

Agreed Khuluna, with proper documentation, inspections, and licenses I would have no problem w/ someone selling out of their home, but I personally would go to the "pot store" unless I knew the at-home-seller pretty well and if they had better dank. Walking into someone's house you don't know to buy pot, legal or not is just a lil to risky for me personally.

Legal drinking age!

Lot a things to think about here and I've only had one pull :cheesygrinsmiley:

:bong:

and how would you like that cooked?
Medium Well, just don't Burn it.

We don't regulate Farm Markets that tightly
and I'm a KISS proponent

You can sell homemade alcohol, if you have the license, :)
Pay taxes and all that good stuff.

18 to buy or grow(personal)
21 to sell
I think there should also be a license to grow for personal use, I would spend a pretty penny a year to be able to keep a MJ garden LEGALLY.

It Should all be 21 to vote, to enlist, to drink and smoke. Its a proper age to say okay I am my own person I don't follow anyone and I am making this choice now. Not at 17,18,19 or 20.

18 or 21 whatever the age they let you buy distilled booze big difference between beer and whiskey coming out for this in push while supporting stronger pewnalities for underage use of all inebriants including drivers liscense suspensions etc is mean to you young users but it might help get the old fossils in legislatures be willing to approve even a pilot decrim temporary legalization with out confusing them with facts ...

by the way in they did do a temp program with local state and federal taxes we'd be set in 2-3 years because the old fossils would get addicted to all that new $$$$ in tax revenue and wouldn't want to give it up......

Back
Top Bottom