Marijuana Massages Are A Big Hit At This Chicagoland Day Spa

Katelyn Baker

CBD rubdowns are up and coming in Illinois.

Patrick Brophy is a construction worker by day and drummer by night. He's probably not who most people picture when thinking of spa clientele. But ReNu Day Spa in Deerfield, Illinois is not the average spa.

ReNu began offering cannabis oil massages in January, and that piqued Brophy's interest.

Long days on his feet doing construction work had given the 29-year-old a bad case of planters fascietus, and he was curious about what sort of pain relief CBD massages might provide.

CBD, or cannabidiol, is a nonpsychoactive compound found in cannabis.

"The CBD works great. Even though I don't get massages all the time, I use the CBD topical ointment I bought at the spa," Brophy told Extract in an interview. "My hands and wrists get really sore as a drummer, and CBD works well for that."

ReNu Day Spa owner Anna Pamula says she got the idea to start offering marijuana massages when a medical cannabis dispensary opened near her suburban Chicago spa in Deerfield.

Illinois' medical marijuana law doesn't allow spas to use cannabis-based topicals containing THC, the psychoactive chemical found in marijuana that gives users a "high" feeling. Products containing CBD, however, are perfectly legal for spas to use and sell in Illinois.

CBD is typically extracted from hemp, which is still largely illegal to cultivate in the Unted States. Hemp products can be imported legally from countries like Canada and England, and hemp extracts are used in a number of health and beauty products here in the states.

"I discovered the benefits of CBD after years of severe arthritis, I could barely bend my fingers," Pamula told Extract. "Then I started using Bio CBD products, and the results were fantastic."

CBD products are sold as supplements in the United States because the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) doesn't allow them to be marketed or labeled as medicine, which is "intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease."

Still, studies have shown cannabinoids like CBD appear to decrease inflammation, pain, seizures and spactisicty, as well as help treat certain skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis and rosacea.

Cannabis topicals are growing in popularity across the country, and Pamula says her CBD massages are very popular at just $10 more than a standard massage price.

"The response from clients has been really great," she said.

Atlantide-Phototravel.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Marijuana Massages Are A Big Hit At This Chicagoland Day Spa
Author: Emily Gray Brosious
Photo Credit: Atlantide Phototravel

Back
Top Bottom