Marijuana Muffins Bring Pair Felony Charges

BluntKilla

A high school student accused of delivering marijuana-laced bran muffins to a teacher's lounge said Friday he had no idea his "senior prank" would become the focus of an FBI terrorism investigation and result in state felony charges carrying up to 20 years in prison.

"It was juvenile and stupid, and, believe it or not, I thought I was only participating in a senior prank," said Ian Walker, 18, one of two Dallas students charged after 19 people at Lake Highlands High School in northeast Dallas became sick when they unknowingly snacked on the tainted muffins.

Walker told reporters in a news conference that he was sorry and "had no idea of the scope of my actions."

On Thursday, Dallas police submitted five cases of assault on a public servant against Walker and Joseph Tellini, 18, after an investigation into the May 16 incident by local authorities and the FBI North Texas Joint Terrorism Task Force.

FBI Special Agent Donna Bennett said the task force became involved because early on it was not known if the incident was more widespread.

"As a terrorist attack, muffins tainted with some kind of chemical could have been distributed to a number of places," she said.

Dallas health authorities determined last week that the muffins were laced with marijuana. Workers who ate them reported feeling dizzy and nauseated and were treated at area hospitals. No one was seriously injured, but one victim, 86-year-old Rita Greenfield, was admitted overnight to Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas.

"They were just thinking it would be fun to get these teachers all silly and giggly," Greenfield, a receptionist at the Richardson Independent School District facility, told the Associated Press. "I do not think of this as a prank at all. It has caused heartaches and hard feelings."

FBI investigators released images from a surveillance video at the school showing a man carrying a bag as he walked to the school office. The tape was shown to students, who were asked to help in the investigation.

Walker, who was released from jail Thursday after he and Tellini posted $7,500 bonds, was suspended from Bishop Lynch High School, a Catholic school where he was a senior. He will be denied a diploma and barred from graduation ceremonies, a family attorney said.

Tellini has declined comment and did not return phone calls placed to his house Friday.

Rachel Raya, spokeswoman for the Dallas County District Attorney's Office, said prosecutors will seek to enhance charges against the teens from third-degree felonies to second-degree felonies because of the use of a controlled substance. The stiffer charges carry a maximum punishment of 20 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

NewsHawk: BluntKilla -420 Magazine
Pubdate: 27 May 2006
Source: Houston Chronicle (TX)
Copyright: 2006 Houston Chronicle Publishing Company Division, Hearst Newspaper

Back
Top Bottom