Marijuana Myths

I"ve been smoking since i was young.I"ll be 63 in march.The only effect that i can see now is short term memory.But hell i"m 63, shit start to happen to older people,so is it the marijuana?or just old age setting in?At this point in my life,i don"t care.I have gotten high ALL OVER THE WORLD,VIETNAM,GERMANY and i"m still here.

i have a personal theory on weed & the true cause of all negative effects of weed.
IMO the reason why people notice loss of short term memory & a loss in brain power is due to the simple lack of stimulation of the brain.The people that notice these sypmtoms are usually people who smoke as often as possible & dont do any activities to stimulate there brain.And it is a scientific fact that when people dont use their brain the brain losses its power & effectiveness.

any thoughts about this???

You can use this same theory on people that don't smoke pot.

Anyone that sits around and doesn't use their brain, or any party of their body for that matter - muscles, etc... those parts will begin to atrophy and die. Body parts that don't get worked out will whither away and lose function. Naturally, if someone is smoking pot, a person that does not approve will put the blame on that god-awful plant that should, of course, be put into the same category as narcotics and other "scary drugs" b/c it makes us all... lazy. lol

Anyway... I smoke pot everyday and often. I can't function well without it. I actually get way more done when I smoke (and by way more, I don't mean way more sleeping and eating). I smoke at home, sometimes when I'm out, and I even smoke when I'm working. The days that I don't smoke are the days that I'm lazier, the days that I'm on my ass not working, the days I call in, the days I beg my husband to come home early & the days I can't play with my kids.

I just blame people for being lazy, I def CANNOT blame pot. If I wanted to lay around all day & get superstoned I could, but I don't (unless I just want to sleep or something or I'm in crazy pain).

And the people that have unfortunate medical conditions like I do & can't get around to do things that they need to do? Well, then I guess I blame the people who keep the pot away from them for not letting them get the relief that they need so they can function like I am able to.

And as far as all the posts about MJ being addicting - my neuro told me that it's not addictive & I won't experience w/drawel if I were to suddenly stop taking it, but I would notice a difference in my behavior (like I'd get depressed again, my pain would worsen & that could cause mood issues, my sleep patterns would change, etc - basically all my old issues would return & I'd need to address them in another manner via other medications or another method of alternative health).

Also, he said that there are studies that suggest that MJ stimulates brain cell growth, something that I am very excited to hear considering that I have memory loss from brain surgery. I will ask for reference material at my next appointment & post about it.

But anyway, my rambling here wasn't intentional. I only meant to respond to your question about using your brain, etc. I actually find that if I start getting frustrated, etc & I take a break to go smoke, that when I come back, I'm better able to focus on what I'm doing & I work better. I don't have so much of a problem with forgetting. But maybe that's an individual thing.

I used to have a BIG problem w/it when I first started smoking though. Maybe I'm used to it now. Who knows.

i strongly agree with you! i use to do everything but weed and like u i was always extremely angry, couldnt get along with anyone.ive been smoking pot almost everyday for almost 7 years now ,i have good careernow, get along with all kind of different people and just love life! i dont think i could ever be this way if i never started smoking pot!

Amreica won't leagilize cuz they want 3rd world country like Nepal(naturally paradise but econimically very poor) to stay te same way. Imagine if weed was leagel most 3rd world countries would make massive amount of $$$ and it also helps enviroment and better life for those poor african, nepali farmers.

I disagree, think about how much the prices will go down once everyone can grow around the world without fear of prosecution... the only reason prices are so HIGH is because of the risk of losing your freedom and revenue stream for growing it... it won't make them rich, they may even make less, but will be able to go much larger production than before... it may end up being an even wash, in my opinion... time will tell...;)

Amreica won't leagilize cuz they want 3rd world country like Nepal(naturally paradise but econimically very poor) to stay te same way. Imagine if weed was leagel most 3rd world countries would make massive amount of $$$ and it also helps enviroment and better life for those poor african, nepali farmers.

I disagree, think about how much the prices will go down once everyone can grow around the world without fear of prosecution... the only reason prices are so HIGH is because of the risk of losing your freedom and revenue stream for growing it... it won't make them rich, they may even make less, but will be able to go much larger production than before... it may end up being an even wash, in my opinion... time will tell...;)

Imagine the hit the indoor industry would take! They'll all be moving to the artic!...lol

You can use this same theory on people that don't smoke pot.

Anyone that sits around and doesn't use their brain, or any party of their body for that matter - muscles, etc... those parts will begin to atrophy and die. Body parts that don't get worked out will whither away and lose function. Naturally, if someone is smoking pot, a person that does not approve will put the blame on that god-awful plant that should, of course, be put into the same category as narcotics and other "scary drugs" b/c it makes us all... lazy. lol

Look at what video games have done to some kids seriously I have seen far lazier teenage gamers then any of my friends who smoke pot. At least the pot smokers read books and go outside and experience the world gamers have to stay glued to there tv's or go into withdrawl reminds me of the you tube video of the 16 year old kid having a tantrum threatening to kill himself cause his mother took his xbox away. I have never seen anyone act that way over not having bud ever.

Look at what video games have done to some kids seriously I have seen far lazier teenage gamers then any of my friends who smoke pot. At least the pot smokers read books and go outside and experience the world gamers have to stay glued to there tv's or go into withdrawl reminds me of the you tube video of the 16 year old kid having a tantrum threatening to kill himself cause his mother took his xbox away. I have never seen anyone act that way over not having bud ever.

Hey your in the GTA....Remember a couple of years ago, the kid that ran away after the parents took his video game away and they found him dead after a few days. I think he fell asleep and fell out of a tree.

Hey your in the GTA....Remember a couple of years ago, the kid that ran away after the parents took his video game away and they found him dead after a few days. I think he fell asleep and fell out of a tree.

Oh yeah forgot about that one but when I posted earlier I was thinking about how they talk about cannabis being addicitve making people lazy and psychotic and shit like that and the youtube video came to mind of this 16 year old kid crying and freaking out and threatening to kill himself and in my opinion this kid was acting like a ****** addict. So here is a question of all the people all of us have known thru our lives that smoked pot can anyone really remember any friends freaking out and crying because they didnt have pot ...

I think the most important Myth about cannabis that needs to be dispelled is that just because a person smokes pot it doesnt mean they are abusing drugs it is possible to smoke cannabis responsibly to suggest other wise of a non addictive substance is ludicrous. What people need to understand is like alcohol or prescription drugs or illicit drugs any substance can be abused . My own experiences in life has shown me that of all the people I have known who smoke pot I have only known 1 or 2 who would only go out and have fun if they can smoke there bud and the thought of having to go maybe 4-6 hours without being able to smoke a joint is to long for them . I feel these are probably people who are among the 10% of our population with an addictive nature and these are the type of people who become addicted to nasal spray .

So I really think one thing that needs to be pounded into the skulls of those who believe that anyone who smokes bud is abusing it is that alcohol which is legal is abused by far and wide more often then cannabis is, and there belief that anyone who does use cannabis is abusing it is nothing more then the programming of the Govt .

It is pretty much de facto legal in California right now. There are so many people operating openly that the risk is quite low. There is real market competition going on -- and the prices still haven't dropped to nothing, or anything close to it.

There is a good reason why. Anybody can grow dirt weed in their backyard. But it takes care, skill, and a good deal of time and labor to grow the finely manicured bud that is desired in the retail market. Freshness counts big time, so the domestic product will have a big advantage over the foreign stuff.

If you will notice in the dispensaries, people will pay twice as much for the well-formed bud as they will for the shake from the same plant. It is the same product, but they will pay more for the appearance. Likewise with the taste and smell.

It is a market much like wine where people are willing to pay premium prices for what they perceive to be premium product. We will no longer see the ten dollar lid of days gone by, but that old Mexican weed in the ten dollar lid couldn't be given away in today's market. The market will wind like wine when it is legalized. There will be some mediocre quality national brands, but if you want the good stuff you will go to the small wineries in the Napa Valley. It will be the same with marijuana. In addition, it will boost California farm income by about 50 percent.

I think the most important Myth about cannabis that needs to be dispelled is that just because a person smokes pot it doesnt mean they are abusing drugs it is possible to smoke cannabis responsibly to suggest other wise of a non addictive substance is ludicrous. What people need to understand is like alcohol or prescription drugs or illicit drugs any substance can be abused . My own experiences in life has shown me that of all the people I have known who smoke pot I have only known 1 or 2 who would only go out and have fun if they can smoke there bud and the thought of having to go maybe 4-6 hours without being able to smoke a joint is to long for them . I feel these are probably people who are among the 10% of our population with an addictive nature and these are the type of people who become addicted to nasal spray .

So I really think one thing that needs to be pounded into the skulls of those who believe that anyone who smokes bud is abusing it is that alcohol which is legal is abused by far and wide more often then cannabis is, and there belief that anyone who does use cannabis is abusing it is nothing more then the programming of the Govt .

It isn't a logical issue with a lot of people. They aren't looking at the evidence. They just believe that because it is illegal, then any use is abuse. It is closer to a religious moral definition than it is to common sense.

Ed Meese, Ronald Reagan's Attorney General, believed this way.

.....So here is a question of all the people all of us have known thru our lives that smoked pot can anyone really remember any friends freaking out and crying because they didnt have pot ...

i've been extremely unhappy about not having any Cannabis. i've cried in pain because i didn't have Cannabis to treat my medical conditions. but in the way i know you mean, no.

It is pretty much de facto legal in California right now. There are so many people operating openly that the risk is quite low. There is real market competition going on -- and the prices still haven't dropped to nothing, or anything close to it.

There is a good reason why. Anybody can grow dirt weed in their backyard. But it takes care, skill, and a good deal of time and labor to grow the finely manicured bud that is desired in the retail market. Freshness counts big time, so the domestic product will have a big advantage over the foreign stuff.

If you will notice in the dispensaries, people will pay twice as much for the well-formed bud as they will for the shake from the same plant. It is the same product, but they will pay more for the appearance. Likewise with the taste and smell.

It is a market much like wine where people are willing to pay premium prices for what they perceive to be premium product. We will no longer see the ten dollar lid of days gone by, but that old Mexican weed in the ten dollar lid couldn't be given away in today's market. The market will wind like wine when it is legalized. There will be some mediocre quality national brands, but if you want the good stuff you will go to the small wineries in the Napa Valley. It will be the same with marijuana. In addition, it will boost California farm income by about 50 percent.

Thats funny you mentioned the 10 dollar lid cause as a canadian MMJ user/grower I have mothers for white widow, jack herer, himalayan gold ,super silver haze, armeggedon and super crystal my cost to grow 25-30 ounces every 2 months is around $150 total for electricity ,nutes and soil my buds are excellent potency and I am paying less then $10 per ounce to grow it. Now what would it cost for those strains in a Cali dispensary???? 200 maybe 300 an ounce???

I know it is different for canadians because our govt actually allows us enough plants to easily produce our medication Like myself for instance For my daily dose of 10g/day Health Canada has Licenced me to produce at any one time 50 plants total no matter what stage of life they are in .. In cali what is the legal amount for a patient to have growing 12 immature and 6 flowering max?

I posted this else where but it shows you some facts to counter others myths.

Pop quiz: Which European country has the most liberal drug laws? (Hint: It's not the Netherlands.)

Although its capital is notorious among stoners and college kids for marijuana haze—filled "coffee shops," Holland has never actually legalized cannabis – the Dutch simply don't enforce their laws against the shops. The correct answer is Portugal, which in 2001 became the first European country to officially abolish all criminal penalties for personal possession of drugs, including marijuana, c*****, h***** and m********.

At the recommendation of a national commission charged with addressing Portugal's drug problem, jail time was replaced with the offer of therapy. The argument was that the fear of prison drives addicts underground and that incarceration is more expensive than treatment – so why not give drug addicts health services instead? Under Portugal's new regime, people found guilty of possessing small amounts of drugs are sent to a panel consisting of a psychologist, social worker and legal adviser for appropriate treatment (which may be refused without criminal punishment), instead of jail.

The question is, does the new policy work? At the time, critics in the poor, socially conservative and largely Catholic nation said decriminalizing drug possession would open the country to "drug tourists" and exacerbate Portugal's drug problem; the country had some of the highest levels of hard-drug use in Europe. But the recently released results of a report commissioned by the Cato Institute, a libertarian think tank, suggest otherwise.
The paper, published by Cato in April, found that in the five years after personal possession was decriminalized, illegal drug use among teens in Portugal declined and rates of new HIV infections caused by sharing of dirty needles dropped, while the number of people seeking treatment for drug addiction more than doubled.

"Judging by every metric, decriminalization in Portugal has been a resounding success," says Glenn Greenwald, an attorney, author and fluent Portuguese speaker, who conducted the research. "It has enabled the Portuguese government to manage and control the drug problem far better than virtually every other Western country does."
Compared to the European Union and the U.S., Portugal's drug use numbers are impressive. Following decriminalization, Portugal had the lowest rate of lifetime marijuana use in people over 15 in the E.U.: 10%. The most comparable figure in America is in people over 12: 39.8%. THIS IS WHAT "DRUG WARS" GET YOU!Proportionally, more Americans have used c******* than Portuguese have used marijuana.

The Cato paper reports that between 2001 and 2006 in Portugal, rates of lifetime use of any illegal drug among seventh through ninth graders fell from 14.1% to 10.6%; drug use in older teens also declined. Lifetime h**** use among 16-to-18-year-olds fell from 2.5% to 1.8% (although there was a slight increase in marijuana use in that age group). New HIV infections in drug users fell by 17% between 1999 and 2003, and deaths related to h**** and similar drugs were cut by more than half. In addition, the number of people on m***** and b******** treatment for drug addiction rose to 14,877 from 6,040, after decriminalization, and money saved on enforcement allowed for increased funding of drug-free treatment as well.

Portugal's case study is of some interest to lawmakers in the U.S., confronted now with the violent overflow of escalating drug gang wars in Mexico. The U.S. has long championed a hard-line drug policy, supporting only international agreements that enforce drug prohibition and imposing on its citizens some of the world's harshest penalties for drug possession and sales. Yet America has the highest rates of c****** and marijuana use in the world, and while most of the E.U. (including Holland) has more liberal drug laws than the U.S., it also has less drug use.
"I think we can learn that we should stop being reflexively opposed when someone else does [decriminalize] and should take seriously the possibility that anti-user enforcement isn't having much influence on our drug consumption," says Mark Kleiman, author of the forthcoming When Brute Force Fails: How to Have Less Crime and Less Punishment and director of the drug policy analysis program at UCLA. Kleiman does not consider Portugal a realistic model for the U.S., however, because of differences in size and culture between the two countries.

But there is a movement afoot in the U.S., in the legislatures of New York State, California and Massachusetts, to reconsider our overly punitive drug laws. Recently, Senators Jim Webb and Arlen Specter proposed that Congress create a national commission, not unlike Portugal's, to deal with prison reform and overhaul drug-sentencing policy. As Webb noted, the U.S. is home to 5% of the global population but 25% of its prisoners.

At the Cato Institute in early April, Greenwald contended that a major problem with most American drug policy debate is that it's based on "speculation and fear mongering," rather than empirical evidence on the effects of more lenient drug policies. In Portugal, the effect was to neutralize what had become the country's number one public health problem, he says.
"The impact in the life of families and our society is much lower than it was before decriminalization," says Joao Castel-Branco Goulao, Portugual's "drug czar" and president of the Institute on Drugs and Drug Addiction, adding that police are now able to re-focus on tracking much higher level dealers and larger quantities of drugs.

Peter Reuter, a professor of criminology and public policy at the University of Maryland, like Kleiman, is skeptical. He conceded in a presentation at the Cato Institute that "it's fair to say that decriminalization in Portugal has met its central goal. Drug use did not rise." However, he notes that Portugal is a small country and that the cyclical nature of drug epidemics – which tends to occur no matter what policies are in place – may account for the declines in h***** use and deaths.

The Cato report's author, Greenwald, hews to the first point: that the data shows that decriminalization does not result in increased drug use. Since that is what concerns the public and policymakers most about decriminalization, he says, "that is the central concession that will transform the debate.

"And as far as all the posts about MJ being addicting - my neuro told me that it's not addictive & I won't experience w/drawel if I were to suddenly stop taking it, but I would notice a difference in my behavior "

I have had this arguement with many friends who are addicts (in recovery) and non-addicts. I say there is some withdrawl , but I would say it is less than going without coffee and it will not kill you. If you OD on Alcohol, you can easily die in the DT's and die directly from the poison. I have gone through withdrawl. For cannabis only users quitting can make you irritable and you may have all your aches and pains come back, that you have been using this as a medicne for. You can get depressed and you feel out-of-place, especially if your whole world revolves around Cannabis. On the other hand, I have had worse times having a bad cold.

Perfect thread. If only the "members" of the so called Drug Enforcement Agency could understand how wrong they are when the topic is marijuana. They tell you lies about it, of wich some are stated in this thread, and make people believe it, they know their lying to the USA, and other drug enforcement agencies around the world know it too. They're all lying.

I Smoke Ciggarettes And Marijuana, And I Have A Mild Case Of Asthma And After smoking Marijuana for Awhile I Went To Cigs, And I Can Still Breathe As Well As Before I Smoked Either. The Way I See It Is that The Marijuana Counteracts The Ciggarette Smoke And Somehow Make it As If I Never Smoked In The First Place.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I Endorse Marijuana<3 ;)

smoke is smoke...if you put smoke into your body their will be repercusion.i still smoke marijuana and love it.I'm trying new ways,as in a vaporizer,and eating.But to each his own way of getting what you need

Back
Top Bottom