Marijuana Prohibition Receives Social Commentary In Haik Hoisington's 'The Flower'

Graphic artist Haik Hoisington's cartoon, "The Flower," embodies almost every aspect of the War on Drugs, particularly the prohibition of marijuana.

The cartoon, only 3 1/2 minutes long, follows the story of a community that is persecuted for its use of a special flower and essentially depicts a society where marijuana use is legal.

The issue has garnered a lot of controversy, especially in California, where this fall voters will head to the polls to vote on Proposition 19, a ballot measure that would legalize the sale of cannabis in the state. It is estimated that 52 percent of voters are in support of the measure and other similar initiative are expected to pop up on ballots in other states.

Hoisington described the cartoon:

The Flower contrasts a utopian society that freely farms and consumes a pleasure giving flower with a society where the same flower is illegal and its consumption is prohibited. The animation is a meditation on the social and economic costs of marijuana prohibition.

YouTube - The Flower

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: The Huffington Post
Copyright: 2010 HuffingtonPost.com, Inc.
Website: Marijuana Prohibition Receives Social Commentary In Haik Hoisington's 'The Flower' Cartoon

Re: Marijuana Prohibition Receives Social Commentary In Haik Hoisington's 'The Flower

this is a great little video I have been posting it on all the web sites I visit. :peace:

Re: Marijuana Prohibition Receives Social Commentary In Haik Hoisington's 'The Flower

I am delighted to see that the video has already garnered over 200,000 hits after only one week online. This is the measure of the video's excellence. Even my ultra-conservative brother in-law who has an anti-pothead agenda had to admit it was an excellent and compelling video.

What works so well in "The Flower" is its loving attention to detail, its humor and intelligent comprehensive grasp of the actual consequences and circumstances arising from prohibition.

Thanks Garjarden, for posting it, and thanks free2blaze for doing the same.

Forwarded to all my contacts.

facebook shared.

I'd like to turn this into a commercial.

Back
Top Bottom