Marijuana Rehab Patients: Addicted of Convicted?

TheOldGuy

Claim TWO: "More than 120 000 people in the US seek treatment each year for their marijuana addiction . . ."

After years of decline, marijuana use among teenagers is now climbing rapidly in almost every industrialised nation. Will this create a generation of cannabis addicts?

The middle classes who enjoy a smoke once or twice a week may laugh at the idea. But doctors who treat the minority of users who have lost control take it more seriously. The pragmatic question is how big is this minority and would it expand if the drug was decriminalised or even legalised? The experience of the Netherlands (see Vraag een Politeagent) suggests the answer to the second question is "no". The first question is tougher.

At the very least, NIDA's figure of 120 000 cannot be taken seriously. It includes people who are arrested for cannabis offences and then given the chance of going into treatment as an alternative to prosecution, as well as workers who test positive for cannabis in random urine tests and opt for rehabilitation rather than being fired. The figures don't tell us how many people really get hooked.

Denise Kandel, addiction epidemiologist

At Columbia University in New York, addiction epidemiologist Denise Kandel has been taking a different tack. She has been analysing data collected every year in the US National Household Survey on Drug Abuse. And she concludes that subtle symptoms of dependence are more widespread among teenage users than previously thought.

Shocking statistic

About 15 per cent of teenagers who smoke marijuana report three or more "symptoms" of dependence from a list of six possible symptoms. They range from "feeling dependent" or being unable to cut down on consumption to using ever larger amounts of cannabis to get the same effect. Applying these same measures to alcohol, it turns out that marijuana is just as addictive as alcohol for adults and even more so for teenagers (see below). That shocks most marijuana users, but not Kandel, who believes kids may be unusually "sensitive" to marijuana for biological as well as social reasons. The way she sees it, the reason we have so many alcoholics is simply that there are so many people drinking.

Days of dependence: marijuana's addictive powers wane with age

The problem with this kind of research is that it all depends on what is meant by addiction. A drug addict is usually seen as a person liable to both withdrawal symptoms and long-term damage to their health. But Kandel's self-report criteria are based on a broader definition. If we applied them to coffee, vast numbers of us would qualify as addicts. Similarly, many people might describe themselves as "addicted" to shopping or television or chocolate. Kandel's analysis suggests young marijuana smokers are more likely to show symptoms of dependence than their beer-swilling contemporaries, but it doesn't tell us which substance is the more dangerously addictive.

What is clear is that as users enter their 20s, they report this dependence far less frequently. And of the people who are still smoking the drug in their 50s, fewer than one in 30 qualify in her analysis as being dependent. Addiction rates for nicotine follow the opposite trend.

This leads to what is perhaps the most telling statistic about the addictive powers of cannabis: more than 90 per cent of people who have ever used the drug have long since quit. While most people continue drinking and cigarette smoking long after the first flush of youth, people drop the weed in droves after the age of 30.

Exactly. Did you read the underlined portion of the article? Before I even read the article, I IMed someone and told them that '120 000' probably includes people given the option: rehab or jail

Well what do you know? By golly, I was right

TheOldGuy said:
Exactly. Did you read the underlined portion of the article? Before I even read the article, I IMed someone and told them that '120 000' probably includes people given the option: rehab or jail

Well what do you know? By golly, I was right
yup sure did.if anyone is gonna go to rehab on this site for weed.pause yourself for a minute close your eyes and remember what happened to thurgood off of half baked.your in here for some marijuana boooooooooo this man ah that movie never gets old

I should be painfully obvious the reason why "addiction" is less and less common the older one gets, this is simply because of the body itself. At puberty, the body undergoes changes and any foreign substance (THC for example) affects these changes. These changes stop definately around the very early 20s so the rate of dependence generally drops greatly amongst people in their early 20s because their body has reached the point where it stops growing physically and mentally. Thus, it is harder to "trick" into accepting foreign substences as a dependent.

As for the number of people entering rehab, yes it is true that it is either rehab or jail. But don't count on the DEA or anyother anti-drug people admitting it anytime soon. I wonder what they would do if faced with the same choice.

Well just look at what Rush Limbaugh did when given the choice. He went to rehab. He's as close to a politician you can get

TheOldGuy said:
Well just look at what Rush Limbaugh did when given the choice. He went to rehab. He's as close to a politician you can get
lol i thought you was talking about a car salesman.we have one here i think its chevy that is called rush limbaugh

Addiction is also in there minds. ur mind is a very powerfull tool. if u lose control of it (ie: start to think u are dependant on a drug of any sort - cigerettes even) U will most definatly trick urself into addiction. feeling there is no way to break it, and that u have lost the control u had over the substance. Keep ur mind clear, and remember. IT'S YOUR MIND. And problems that plague many will never touch u. I have no scientific evidence proving this obviously, but i've found that quitting cigs, weed, drinkin, amoung others is nothing, ...when u are willing to deal with the physical withdrawls some substances give u.....and btw i lost what i was trying to say like 10-15 times in this paragraph, so sry if it's just scrabled garbadge.

Yo, Detained, cigarettes dont play a mind trick on you pal. They contain nicotene, which is physically addictive.

Yo, Detained, cigarettes dont play a mind trick on you pal. They contain nicotene, which is physically addictive.

this is why i think some people are addited to marijuana. they are addited to the sigs you have mixed with the weed. so you think you fully need a cone, but really you just want the nicotene from the mixing sigs. this really only hads in extremes but it dose happen, i no of it happening.

It's not the addiction that make it so hard for people to quit smoking cigs. It is the habbit of doing it that gets them. The physical addiction part last for a couple of days where you will go through withdrawls and feel all shitty, but after that, the horrible part is over. The thing that people love is being able to have a smoke when they are feeling stressed and whatnot, and thats what is so hard for them to give up.

PS: I can't say this for sure, being as I don't smoke cigs. I have in the past, but only occasionally and I can't stand em anyways. I just learned this in my health class, and it sounded pretty reasonable to me. But again, I'm not a cigarette smoker, so I'm in no place to confirm anything for sure.

i hear a lot of people say things like "19 days and counting" and they usually sound like a nervous wreck

fuck weed isnt addictive
sure you wanna smoke it but u aint like a crackhead
sellin all your shit for weed
"its no more addictive than junk food"
i think that quote is on norml or somethin

SeaN2 said:
fuck weed isnt addictive
sure you wanna smoke it but u aint like a crackhead
sellin all your shit for weed
"its no more addictive than junk food"
i think that quote is on norml or somethin
hey i use to pawn all my shit for weed but it took me like 4 months to get all my stuff out of pawn.i had to break that habbit

little kids used to sell their baseball cards for candy bars. have you stolen anything to pawn? that's when you know you've got a prob

TheOldGuy said:
little kids used to sell their baseball cards for candy bars. have you stolen anything to pawn? that's when you know you've got a prob
nope i havent stold anything in 5 years i use to live by a mall that was walking distance and i would steal alot of stuff.but it got to the point where if i couldnt afford it then i didnt need it.i dont steal from peoples house either people work to hard to get what they have i wouldnt want to bust my ass at work then have somebody steal what i worked for

Back
Top Bottom