Marijuana Travel Stories

Mountain Men

I've been a mountain man and a TV producer filming mountain men.

Have you seen the many, many shows in the US glorifying 'Off the Grid" living. Of course you realize this is all TV hype. Got to get those ratings or go back to the mountains.

My mountain living took place in Costa Rica (4 years). Honduras (2 years), and Belize (2 years).

I went up the mountain in the cloud forest with 22 pounds of gear. My wife had 22 pounds of gear as well. It was 8 hours from the nearest road walking. The location was very cool. We built our cabin at the confluence of 2 rivers. After they joined, they flowed 2,000 yards and ended at a 2,000 foot waterfall. My wife did not leave the mountain for eleven months. We were really Tarzan and Jane. We either found or built everything. We ended up with a real national park. The local people at the town 4 hours away heard about our venture and the Mayor and two friends walked to see what was truely the 14th wonder of the world. It was. You want danger? We had six novels worth. Some of our life was very wild. We found huge emeralds in the river. Had a jaguar and her cub live by the pond we built by talking half the water from one river and diverted it though hole we damned up. I made 18 trips down and carried supplies and baby trout up the mountain. My wife has magical powers when it comes to animals. We had sloths, snakes, wild mountain goats, tapirs, coatimundi, and Quetzales ( the royal birds of the Aztecs and Incas). Having one feather meant death. They were 10 mating pairs in our yard and came to my wife when called. National Geographic came to Costa Rica and spent 11 months without encountering 1 single Royal Bird. A professor friend of ours from the University of Costa without thinking told them about us in the clouds. It took them 5 days but they reached us. They did the whole documentary in our yard but we made them all leave but 1 filmmaker. He got hours of film. He also knew the reason we could stay up there was we had produced 2 mega hit films for the BBC (The Vanishing Rainforest) and had taken the money and ran. He was a fan. On the second night he pulled out a huge bag of Panama Red. We smoked it hard for the week. We did not have anything to smoke and when he left he produced another bag and gave it to us. There were 15 seeds in the bag. 2 weeks later while searching for heart of palm in a clearing up the mountain I put the seeds in the ground not knowing if I could find the place again. Months later I found the clearing and the volcanic soil had produced 12 monster plants. Took a machete to cut them down. I could not carry the plants so I cut as many 2 foot colas as I could and bounced down the mountain. They provided enough smoke and seeds to never want to leave. Then came the heart attack. 2 weeks later I was having a quad open heart surgery and have never gone back. It was good while it lasted. Me Tarzan with a big scar.

acapulcogold11.jpg

acgold2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom