Mars Hydro Grow Journal SP 3000: Blue Kush, RDWC, ScrOG

Looking great GG! :high-five:

I absolutely love the tip using the steel wool on top of the hydroton... thats a great trick I think I can make great use of!

Awesome reading on the critical flowering time, I'm gonna have to break back out Eds book and reread it again sometime soon.
Love the work your doing and can't wait to see that scrog filled up!
Thanks @Rexer . It makes me happy when information/experiences shared are useful for others :Namaste:

Prior to feed​

EC : 1.0
PH : 5.8

I fed some Magnesium Sulphate, shortly after my last post. I fed ~half the recommended dosage of Botanicare Sweet RAW, which bumped the EC up slightly to 1.1 and knocked the PH down to 5.6. I added 1ml of PH up to bring the PH back up to 5.8.

After 7 hours the EC has already dropped down to 1.0 and the PH has risen to 6.0. Both indicators that the plants are feeding. Whether they are taking up the newly added Mg or just feeding in general i don't know. Either way, they're feeding, which is fine by me.
:morenutes:

6.0 is in range so i'm going to leave it there. If it's still there tomorrow morning, i'll knock it down to 5.8.

Learned something about Blue Kush - needs additional Magnesium week 1 of flower.

:idea:
I'll run an experiment with a clone of Blue Kush. I'll use the far-red technique to induce flowering of a clone, giving it only 9 hours of uninterrupted darkness. I'll start a separate journal for it, or blog it or something.

Let me know if that would be something that would interest you guys :peace:

:idea:
I'll run an experiment with a clone of Blue Kush. I'll use the far-red technique to induce flowering of a clone, giving it only 9 hours of uninterrupted darkness. I'll start a separate journal for it, or blog it or something.

Let me know if that would be something that would interest you guys :peace:
That would be cool. Be good info to have on the site for sure.

I'm actually subbed to your thread too - looking great! Your plants are beautiful and healthy.
Apologies, I may have had you confused with someone else @Tokin Roll lol. I was sure I saw you had a journal but I can’t find it - I might have mixed you up with someone else :peace:

Day 6 Flower​

This morning, the EC is sat nicely at 1.0. The PH however dropped to 5.6.

I believe the PH dropped because the plant consumed/is consuming the Magnesium that was added yesterday in greater quantities than anything else. Botanicare Sweet is:

Magnesium (Mg2+)
Sulfate (SO42−)

The reason I think this has had an effect on the PH is because the plant is consuming more (positively charged) cations (Mg2+) than (negatively charged) anions, causing the PH to decrease. An excess of cation over anion leads to a decrease in PH. The opposite thing happens when it's an excess of anion over cation (i.e Nitrate nitrogen NO3-), in that the PH increases.

I added 1.5ml of PH up to bump the PH up to 5.9 (I want a buffer in case the PH continues to drop).

Will post some pics shortly

:volcano-smiley:

I just went up to take some pictures and the PH has drifted down to 5.7.

I've topped up with 5L of plain water but not enough to shift EC, but enough to feed them more water if they need it. I set the PH to 5.9 with 1ml of PH up. Will keep an eye on this.

The ladies are looking nice and healthy though

And they're filling the screen at a good rate. The two on the right are catching up. They were both lower than the two on the left when i put the screen on. They're both producing new green growth.

Hey Brotherhood, the girls are looking sweeeet man and I can tell they’re getting dialled in. The leaves look healthy and well.
Thank you brother :passitleft:Appreciate you taking the time to stop by. I'll post todays update shortly

Sweet little baby jesus those roots o_O I'm following and am here to learn all I can. I have a big brick of coco and almost no experience! Let's do this! :tommy:
Welcome @copperrein - very happy you came along for the ride :D

We all need to start somewhere :high-five:Some coco and almost no experience is pretty much where I started. Information sharing is what I am all about. And if i can save you some time/pain along the way, even better :Namaste:

Day 7 Flower​

The readings first thing this morning:

EC : 0.9
PH : 5.7

The EC dropped from 1.0 and the PH has drifted slightly from 5.9 where i left it at lights out. I'm happy with this.

The drop in EC suggests that the plants are feeding - always a good thing. A drift in PH is pretty standard in DWC.

I do like to question why things happen, and I assume the slight drift in PH suggests the plant is still consuming enough newly introduced Magnesium (Mg++) to cause this in-balance (either that or calcium[Ca++] I suspect). A drift of 0.2 overnight is nothing to worry about. Will keep an eye on it today and see how much it moves.

This is, of course, all theory. But I like to share my thinking/findings. PH swings in RDWC fascinate me. Waking up to the PH at 3.9 is horrifying, and also intriguing, all at the same time :nerd-with-glasses:fortunately this hasn't happened in a while.

Anyway, here are some snaps of the ladies this morning

I've not topped up or adjusted the system - I want to wait and see what happens. If the PH and EC stay the same, and the water level drops steadily, the plants are happy and feeding, why disturb them. Otherwise, i'll act accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom