Mars Hydro Grow Journal SP 3000: Blue Kush, RDWC, ScrOG

Wow beautiful harvest @GoogleGenie did you end up washing all of the harvest or only the branches hanging on the line?
Thanks mate :high-five:

I didn’t, I only washed the ones that had been sprayed a few times, which was only a single plant so that was the only one I washed.

Drying Day #4​

Hey guys :ganjamon:

Firstly, sorry there aren't any pictures, I keep the tent sealed while drying, and honestly, there isn't much to see :)

I added a humidifier to the drying tent yesterday in an attempt to stop the buds from drawing moisture from the stems too quickly. I've been turning this on manually when necessary.

The RH dropped again during the evening and is currently sat at:

Temp : 24c/75.2f
RH : 52%

The humidifier isn't "always on" so it won't work with a power timer. Really need to get one of those if anyone has any suggestions, a humidifier that i can use with a plug timer.

The buds themselves are still moist which is great. If they'd have dried too fast they'd already be crispy.

I'm kicking the extractor fan on at least once a day to swap the air out.

There are other methods I'm looking to pursue, but i'm just not set up for it at the moment. So i'll stick to what I know for now. And this is what I know, or at least as i see it...

The way I look at drying...​

I'm trying to draw the moisture out of the stems, through the buds, evenly and gradually, and as slowly as possible. Initially, there is a regular air exchange where the humidity rises sharply. The humidity rises as the moisture leaves the buds. Once the humidity is brought back down, the same again, the moisture leaves the buds, humidity rises, and it brought back down, until it settles somewhere around 60%.

I aim to drag drying out for 7 days, I've only managed this once, but i can regularly hit 6 days before they are dry enough to go into jars.

I want to end up with a nice, dry stem and bud by the end of this, not bone/crispy dry, but dry. The bud will lose ~85-90% of it's weight/moisture by the time this process is finished and the sealed curing process begins.

:peace:

Hi GG,
Regarding timer/humidifier, I use a cool mist humidifier controlled by an InkBird humidity sensor. The sensor calls for humidity and energizes the humidifier. It would certainly work with a plug timer.

The cool mist humidifier was inexpensive and I bought it at Walmart. I'm sure you can find something similar on your side of the pond :)

Hi GG,
Regarding timer/humidifier, I use a cool mist humidifier controlled by an InkBird humidity sensor. The sensor calls for humidity and energizes the humidifier. It would certainly work with a plug timer.

The cool mist humidifier was inexpensive and I bought it at Walmart. I'm sure you can find something similar on your side of the pond :)
Hi @eggzin and thanks for the info, it’s much appreciated.

Ive heard of these inkbirds but never used one. I wouldn’t need a plug timer if I had one of those. I may have to get me one of those! :high-five:

Thanks for the humidifier tip too. I guess I need to find one that is always on when it receives power. The one i have now needs me to push a button every time it comes on, so probably wouldn’t even work with an inkbird. Just not sure what to search for - “always on” isn’t getting me very far :rofl:

Hi @eggzin and thanks for the info, it’s much appreciated.

Ive heard of these inkbirds but never used one. I wouldn’t need a plug timer if I had one of those. I may have to get me one of those! :high-five:

Thanks for the humidifier tip too. I guess I need to find one that is always on when it receives power. The one i have now needs me to push a button every time it comes on, so probably wouldn’t even work with an inkbird. Just not sure what to search for - “always on” isn’t getting me very far :rofl:
The inexpensive ones @eggzin is referring to usually just have a dial on them to turn them on and off.

Drying Day #5​

Hey all.

The RH consistently dropping. It started out here this morning:

Temp : 24c/75.2ft
RH : 50%

It's now sat at:

Temp : 23c/73.4f
RH : 46%

I'm not turning the humidifier on anymore. The buds I washed are the driest (which makes sense as they are off the plant with the smallest buds). The buds are dry but the stems still bending. I expect they'll be ready by morning.

The others could still use at least another day, which I'm happy about. The majority will make it to Day 6 :woohoo:

Drying Day #5​

Hey all.

The RH consistently dropping. It started out here this morning:

Temp : 24c/75.2ft
RH : 50%

It's now sat at:

Temp : 23c/73.4f
RH : 46%

I'm not turning the humidifier on anymore. The buds I washed are the driest (which makes sense as they are off the plant with the smallest buds). The buds are dry but the stems still bending. I expect they'll be ready by morning.

The others could still use at least another day, which I'm happy about. The majority will make it to Day 6 :woohoo:

I'm sorry my memory is bad have you had the ac on the entire drying period.
I always was heart broken after about 2nd day. They loose most of their moisture those first couple days and shrink :confused:
Are you carrying on this wonderful journal right through curing also?

Hey Bill
I'm sorry my memory is bad have you had the ac on the entire drying period.
No, the drying rack has been in a sealed tent the entire time (bar the first day). I added a humidifier on day 3 to slow it down a little, but haven't switched it on at all today.
I always was heart broken after about 2nd day. They loose most of their moisture those first couple days and shrink :confused:
I know the feeling my friend, It's crazy how much weight they lose. Literally between 85-90% of their harvested mass evaporates.
Are you carrying on this wonderful journal right through curing also?
I was thinking i'd keep it open until the buds are around 6 weeks cured, compare photos, density, weight of some chosen buds. Audrey being one of them. That way we can see how the buds change over the curing period. And we can do a final "Taking a look back" :)

Hey there GG, looks like I'm a little late to this show but I had to come have a look so I could vote on the journal of the month contest. What a beauty of a setup, and beautiful rewards as well. Your journal is super informative and clean, great pictures and always explaining with great detail. Not to mention your help when others ask questions, very prompt to answer.

Best of luck in the contest my friend, I'll be sure to keep an eye for your next journal so I can come and watch live. I too have a set of dwc buckets going right now for my first time as a test run and if all goes well I will eventually move into a 4 bucket rdwc similar to yours. I've been looking for a way to grow some monsters and this may be it, with a tote of course. Cheers!

Yes GG, Michael Hunt is right.

This is the one I have:

Crane Drop Ultrasonic Cool Mist Air Humidifier for Plants

1664574899110.png

Hey there GG, looks like I'm a little late to this show but I had to come have a look so I could vote on the journal of the month contest. What a beauty of a setup, and beautiful rewards as well. Your journal is super informative and clean, great pictures and always explaining with great detail. Not to mention your help when others ask questions, very prompt to answer.

Best of luck in the contest my friend, I'll be sure to keep an eye for your next journal so I can come and watch live. I too have a set of dwc buckets going right now for my first time as a test run and if all goes well I will eventually move into a 4 bucket rdwc similar to yours. I've been looking for a way to grow some monsters and this may be it, with a tote of course. Cheers!
Hey @dick23rk hows it going?

Thank you for stopping by, and thank you so much for the kind words, they put a smile on my face :high-five: it gives me a great sense of joy knowing there is value in this journal for others

Ill be sure to tag you in here when I create my next Journal, I’ll come and check yours out too. If you need anything or have any questions, feel free to @ me :peace:

Thanks again my friend

Yes GG, Michael Hunt is right.

This is the one I have:
Crane Drop Ultrasonic Cool Mist Air Humidifier for Plants
Thanks Eggzin. That’s super helpful of you :high-five: Ill be humidifier shopping this weekend. Papa needs a new humidifier :laugh:

Hey @dick23rk hows it going?

Thank you for stopping by, and thank you so much for the kind words, they put a smile on my face :high-five: it gives me a great sense of joy knowing there is value in this journal for others

Ill be sure to tag you in here when I create my next Journal, I’ll come and check yours out too. If you need anything or have any questions, feel free to @ me :peace:

Thanks again my friend
Going well, thanks for asking.
There is a lot of value in this journal, I will certainly be back to it for reference. There's a couple other dwc journals here I need to get in on as well right away.

Yes please do tag me and I hope to see you over there. Thanks a lot, I'm sure I may have the odd question soon once they take off, still babies yet.

Take care

Drying Day #6​

A little late with this update as Day #6 of Drying was yesterday, but lets pretend :)

I removed the buds from the step of the first plant i harvested (and washed) and put them into a jar as they were ready. This was the Front-Left lady.

Dry Weight - Front-Left Blue Kush Lady​

I expected a disappointing result from this one due to the problems she had. No popcorn though - this plant was very sparse, as a result, all buds got direct light and plenty of air so they were at least all firm.

Total : 60g / 2.14oz​

The rest still needed some time to dry so I left them overnight, sealed in the tent.

The RH was floating around 46-48%.

Drying Day #7​

Everything was dry this morning. So i removed the buds from the stems and weighed everything up. Here are the totals:

Back-Left
(Audrey and Co)
324g
Back-Right
327g
Front-Left
60g
Front-Right
112g

There was very little popcorn on anything, which is exactly what you want with ScrOG. The plant is stretched out nicely so that light and air can get to everything.

Total : 823g / 29.39oz​

:slide:

A very healthy yield indeed. If it weren't for the disappointing yield of the Front-Left lady, I'd have broken my personal best (833g). Still, I'm really happy with this.

Here are some shots of the dried buds before I took them off the stem

Curing Day #4​

Hey guys :passitleft:

So, the jars have been sealed, all but a single burping for each once a day. The RH of the jars is currently at 58%. This is a little lower than i'd like so I'm going to use 62% boveda packs to bump it up a little. They'll stay sealed now and I'll burp them once a week.

I'll post an update of the others goings on in my grow room soon...

Back
Top Bottom