Mars Hydro Grow Journal TS3000: Chef's New 4x4

Yeah keep us posted over there Beez! I wanna see how it ends up as well.

today I checked in on the 4x4 and the grandpa glue has been working hard putting out a lot more pistils on some of the lower bud sites. This noticeable difference is no doubt due to the @Mars Hydro TS3000. This light is such a beast that even at about 30” from the canopy it’s still penetrating down almost to the soil. You can see from the top down shot all the new bud sites that have bulked up in that second level canopy in the center of the plant.

Now some BCP shots. Today is 46, almost there! :yahoo: She’s hitting her peak of water uptake. Normally it’s taken around 4 days to be ready for more water. After this last watering it took only two days for the plant to look noticeably droopy. I’ve been giving her 1tsp/gal of EM-1 with every watering. Check her out:drool::

and boy does she smell yummy.. I haven’t detected any of the fuel smell Beez was talking about yet though. We’ve got time, she’s still got about two more weeks.

Those BCP buds are looking fantastic!

Do you use malted barley in your soil mix? And do you top dress with it at about the end of the third week of flowering? I do this and it's supposed to cut about 7 days off the flowering time. And my BCP plants run 65-70 days post flip. I usually smell that faint fuel close to the end, about the time she start using less water. Something I do with my flowering plants is to water with less water but water more often so they don't get that noticeable droop.

Those BCP buds are looking fantastic!

Do you use malted barley in your soil mix? And do you top dress with it at about the end of the third week of flowering? I do this and it's supposed to cut about 7 days off the flowering time. And my BCP plants run 65-70 days post flip. I usually smell that faint fuel close to the end, about the time she start using less water. Something I do with my flowering plants is to water with less water but water more often so they don't get that noticeable droop.
Yes i top dressed with malted barley, EWC, and kelp meal mid way through week two. And the em-1 1tsp/gal every watering. I’ve been trying to stay diligent on keeping the roots properly moist.

Well shoot... now that these flowering plants are in the 4 x 4, I really wish I would’ve upped to 3 gallon pots before flipping. Even so, I’m still considering doing an up pot... what do you all think?

@Grand Daddy Black @StoneOtter @InTheShed @Mr. Sauga @beez0404
The thought of up-potting after flip sends chills up my spine! But I'm a newbie to photos and that's just my gut feeling.

I'm certain the others can provide much more informed opinions.

The thought of up-potting after flip sends chills up my spine! But I'm a newbie to photos and that's just my gut feeling.

I'm certain the others can provide much more informed opinions.
I mean... I know the risks. I’m not really looking for info so much as opinions.
wanna see me transplant a flipped plant?

I mean... I know the risks. I’m not really looking for info so much as opinions.
wanna see me transplant a flipped plant?
Oh, my bad!

Yeah, I want to see you do it. :popcorn:

I've done it several times with care and the plants did very well. I went from 3 gal to 5 gal once and from 3 gal to 7 gal twice. The 3s to 7s showed better results. The roots didn't fill the pots with the 7s but they had 133% more soil so more nutrients and more moisture to suck up. If it's a taboo thing maybe I shouldn't do it anymore?? ;)

GG looks great and the BCP has some great frost! Noicely done :).
I do this and it's supposed to cut about 7 days off the flowering time.
What's the advantage to taking a week off flowering unless you're in a hurry? Does it make the plant bulk up faster as well? Turn the trichomes amber faster?
Well shoot... now that these flowering plants are in the 4 x 4, I really wish I would’ve upped to 3 gallon pots before flipping. Even so, I’m still considering doing an up pot... what do you all think?

@Grand Daddy Black @StoneOtter @InTheShed @Mr. Sauga @beez0404
I think it was Amy who said that a lot of root growth happens just after flip, so I'm with beez and say go for it!

Thanks Shed! I could definitely let them finish all the way in these 1 gallon pots.. it’s just we’re only week 3 and I’m already watering basically everyday. I can foresee a situation where I think one of the plants will be okay for another overnight, or day at work.. and come home to just wilted, dried up sadness. I really want to avoid that for the health of my seed crop. I’ve also considered doing something like a swick where the plants are sitting on something that allows them to wick up a lot more moisture, but I think that’ll be a lot more involved of a project than just transplanting.

That and I can tell the IIP and BCP in particular are looking rootbound already. Yellowing fans even though I fed them with the equivalent of 6.5 g/gal of MC.

I've done it several times with care and the plants did very well. I went from 3 gal to 5 gal once and from 3 gal to 7 gal twice. The 3s to 7s showed better results. The roots didn't fill the pots with the 7s but they had 133% more soil so more nutrients and more moisture to suck up. If it's a taboo thing maybe I shouldn't do it anymore?? ;)
that’s exactly the reason I’d do it. I want them to have a lot more moisture available. That in turn gives me more wiggle room for watering on a busy schedule.

It would make sense that the roots grow at flip. For a tree the root system is twice as long as the tree is tall. If this holds true for cannabis the roots would stretch a ton to maintain the stretch of the plant.
I would not at all be surprised if that were the case for cannabis as well. Some of the plants you see in hydro have absurdly long roots by harvest.

Does it make the plant bulk up faster as well? Turn the trichomes amber faster?
Not sure if this is a trick question or not. Would I harvest a plant before the buds fattened up and the trichromes showed me some amber? My answer would be no, I wouldn't. So a week sooner then normal the plant has fattened up and the trichromes have matured to my liking. A strain that would typically flower for 70 days could be ready by day 60 or thereabouts.

Not sure if this is a trick question or not. Would I harvest a plant before the buds fattened up and the trichromes showed me some amber? My answer would be no, I wouldn't. So a week sooner then normal the plant has fattened up and the trichromes have matured to my liking. A strain that would typically flower for 70 days could be ready by day 60 or thereabouts.
Not a trick question at all. I know better than that :).

Just wanted to understand that malted barley speeds up all aspects of plant growth, doing exactly the same in 60 days as it normally would do in 70.

doing exactly the same in 60 days
I'm thinking I might have said "in 60 days or thereabouts"??? It's not an exact science. Some strains are quicker with the malted barley then others. So let me go on record as saying that when I have malted barley mixed in to my Coots organic soil at the start of the grow and top dress with it around week 3 of flowering my plants finish to my liking (nearly all milky with a smattering of amber, and fully fattened up) approximately 8% faster.

Back
Top Bottom