Mars Hydro Grow Journal: TSL 2000, 1st Time In Coco, DIY Drip Build, 2x4, Jack Herer SOG

My patience are dwindling. I'm in week 12 now and still seeing a lot of clear. Definitely going to hunt for quicker strains after this. I also imagine once I get a level canopy and not so much small growth underneath it will speed things up?

20210417_123928.jpg
20210417_123903.jpg
20210417_124235.jpg
20210417_124216.jpg
20210417_124030.jpg
The main reason I'm getting restless is because I need this tent to start properly training my next round that's now crammed in with my mother's. And I still have to dry this harvest in the tent first.

Harvested Day 90

Removed large fan leaves and hung the whole plants. Tent is around 67f and 50%rh with only the exhaust fan running, no circulation fans. I'll do a dry manicure and then into the jars for curing. Once these are done drying my next round should be about ready to move in.

I remembered to label these plants after already chopping half of them down! Thankfully I remembered which were which. 2 of these produced much more weight than the rest but we'll see how the final product turns out before I pick which mother to keep.
20210421_201031_HDR.jpg
20210421_201048_HDR.jpg

Time to wrap this journal up. My new one is started already, check my signature.

Yield
9 oz dry of nice buds and a grocery bag full of small buds and very nice trim

Pheno hunt winner
Dolly!

Criticisms

1. Lights were too close to tops of plants due to lack of headroom in the grow space because of plants being vegged too long. The top buds were kind of crispy and dried out faster than is ideal after harvest. They also foxtailed a bit and were not as dense as id like. This could be genetics related as well.
2. Salt build up/nutrient lockout. For coco, I watered too infrequently and fed too strong early on in flower resulting in lockout of calcium, ph problems, etc.
3. The root zone temps were too cold I think(58-60f avg). It was winter however and the tent was in a temporary location.
4. I vegged too long for SOG style growing and was forced to top which resulted in an overcrowded space.
5. Mothers are a lot of extra work especially in coco. If I continue to keep mothers I'll use soil and as little lighting as possible.
6. Nutrients are expensive and id like to look into more cost effective options like mixing my own.
7. Too much waste. DTW is wasteful and coupled with RO water waste is far too much water down the drain and is irresponsible in my opinion. I'll be looking into options for using the waste water and/or alternative grow methods.
8. Training. I could be wrong here but it seems like having so much growth below canopy increased the overall time the plant took to finish. I harvested at 12 full weeks from 12/12 switch. It could very well be strain related but this next grow of the same strain I'll be removing everything below the canopy and growing only top main colas so I can compare. I would prefer a shorter flower period.

Overall I'm happy with the results and I feel like I learned a lot. I'm going to stick with coco DTW for now and dial it in with a couple of strains before I try something new.

Thanks to everyone that followed along and helped out. And thanks to @420
20210504_182507.jpg
20210504_183014.jpg
20210429_211604.jpg

I flipped them to 12/12 today because they're getting too big even after topping. I think next grow I'm just going to flip to 12/12 right at the transplant to 1 gallon.
They get droppy an hour before lights out. I think it's normal.
20210122_031228_HDR.jpg
20210122_031239.jpg
20210122_031305.jpg
The newer growth has a sheen to it or something. It's not yellow like it looks in the pics. It's more of a metallic/oily sheen on the inner part of the leaf and fades to normal green at the tips. My tsl-2000 is up to about 60% and maybe 14" above.
Mild Light burn my friend

All in the same day I transplanted and moved them to the 2x4 tent meaning new temp/rh/light/airflow. Next time I'll let them acclimate to the new environment before transplant. The first 24 hours they were looking droopy and pale but I had the mars on at like 50% so I turned it down to minimum and they look much better now. Its my first led and I didn't expect how strong it is.

Now its time to dial in the drip system. Also my first time doing this. Right now each drip ring is putting out around 175ml/min very accurately which is a relief. I might want to dial that back after reading that slower is better for full saturation but either way it can't hurt. I'll probably add hydroton to the top of the pots so the drippers don't dig little trenches in the coco.

20210116_165344_HDR.jpg
20210116_164839.jpg
Truthfully..., if you’d add another tent... 4x4(80ht), 5x5(80+ht)... you would alleviate most concerns

Back
Top Bottom