Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light Discussion

Personally for that space, i would go with the mars 400w. 4 is ideal, but 2 is still a lot of light. I have 2 x 1.2mx1.2m tents, one with a single mars 1200 and 1 with 4 x mars 400. Both are great, but the later offers more flexibility, especially if not growing ScrOG

Absolutely right! :high-five:

Multiple smaller lights should always do better than a single large light. It's not like HPS where the 'bigger' bulbs actually put out more energetic light, ie they would travel further or penetrate deeper. With LEDs, they all use the same LEDs so if I have 50 or 500, they all contain the same amount of energy, or penetration power. You have to shift your logic a little when moving from HID to LED.

If I put 200 LEDs into a 24"x24" package, it's going to have a certain coverage area.
If I put those same 200 LEDs into 4 lights, and then spread those lights out, I will be able to get a better coverage with the same LEDs. Granted, 4 of the 200 LED lights would be better, but I'm trying to compare apples to apples. All other things being equal, multiple lights will give you better coverage than a single large light.

dude thank you so much that helped alot! ive been doing a ton research. I've invested allready $250. do whatever i can to keep smell down. doing LED run first time for this year grow. when you had that setup how was the noise?

Hi guys!!

This is my first post, but I've been studying up behind the scenes for a few months now!! I want to say thanks so so much to all those of you who offer your help and wisdom for all those of us who haven't yet taken the leap!!! Years ago, I successfully did a small cfl setup that produced airy fluff as I was a kid and had nothing more than one book to follow at the time!!!

Anyway, this time around Ive gone through made lists, rechecked, triple checked, and finally started placing orders. The first being to Ossc for stock... This order was placed Jan 11th and never came. Further research suggested that Sensible seed was a much better route and it has been taken. Still awaiting for that one, but feeling hopeful!!!

Now on to why I'm posting on the Mars Hydro forum!? I don't want to bash them as I have read such great things here from members, and from Sara herself!! I just am not having the best of luck with my situation. I placed my order on Feb 10th/11th depending on who's time we are going by. My order was for a 144x3 reflector(3x2x5 tent). When placing the order the item stated it was in stock. After placing the order, I immediately wrote an email to Sara thanking her for all her hard work and letting her know it was because of her work here in this forum that i felt comfortable making the purchase. I haven't heard back from Sara but did receive correspondence from her assistant Lucy stating that the item was out of stock and would be ready to ship in 7days. I order things from China directly for my business and know that it can take months for shipments to make it here and through all the loops. So I wrote to Lucy and asked her if they were sure it would be 7 days or could it be 30. She replied saying that it would be 7days. Next I found Sara's post here warming of their upcoming vacation. Again I wrote to Lucy specifically asking if I'd have to wait until they returned from vacation to recieve the light. I was told not to worry, "they will surly be on vacation through the 26th but the shipping will go on". Well, here it is the 20th.. No shipping info, no replies, weekend coming, and its looking like the 26th will be here before my shipping info... Exactly as I'd suspected. I had no issues waiting, I have issues with people telling you what they think you want to hear... Instead of just telling the truth.

I feel I should have been able to choose whether I wanted to wait or not. For example, updating the inventory via website so I knew prior to purchasing the item that it wasn't available. Or, at the very least telling me the light more than likely will not be available until they return. At least I could decide what I wanted to do... Instead of politely being forced to wait!!?!

Feeling frustrated, knowing I could have had my exhaust system on its way, while I waited for their lights to get back instock... Instead of being locked into a check my email every day for shipping info or response type of deal!!

That's great news LED420!! Did you receive an email letting you know it had been shipped!? ...or did the light just show up at your door!? Also, did the package need to be signed for!?

I'm having all kinds of bad luck!! Ossc order never showed. Today my tent is supposed to arrive, got an email from ups/amazon it never made it off the truck!?... and will be delayed 1-2 + weekend.. Definitely the first time Ive heard that one ....ever!!

Not sure if I need to go do a bunch of random acts or kindness to try and get my karma back up or what!?

Alright. I am still trying to plan my new grow space. I need more space to get the most out of my girls.

I am looking a 2 Mars-Hydro 3x3 tents. I have 2 Mars 400. I figured I would use those in one tent. Now I need to figure which light for the other tent. Should I go Mars 700 or go more with a 900? Or should I get the 192x3 reflector? It seems the reflector will give me better coverage @ 16-18". What are your thoughts?

dude thank you so much that helped alot! ive been doing a ton research. I've invested allready $250. do whatever i can to keep smell down. doing LED run first time for this year grow. when you had that setup how was the noise?
I wish I would of went with insulated ducting(I run a 6" ducting adjustable elbow for intake), but honestly, it's not too bad on full blast, it's in my laundry room so if I have company or worried about it, I just run my washer or dryer which makes WAY more noise. Or, I have the speed controller, I can turn it down half way, you can barely hear it(have a door too which kills the rest of the noise). I am prop 215 so it's not completely necessary for me to be super stealthy, but I like my privacy so masking the sound is easy since in laundry room. I guess I'm always doing laundry when someone comes by. :) I've had friends walk through my laundry room to get to my garage, never even knew with the washer drowning out the sound.

No problem.

I ask me, should i remove the glas from the led for more light?

I'm assuming you're looking at a Mars II? I've thought about that too. I foresaw a couple potential issues. One concern was the change to airflow. It would probably still be OK, but we would be changing the path of the cooling air. Instead of coming in from teh sides, most of it would probably come in over the LED panel. Good or Bad? I don't know. I also have some concern about the PCB being exposed to the 'elements' so to speak, but then again I'm pretty sure that surface isn't sealed from the environment. I've not yet tried to take out the glass. I'd love to see pictures and hear about your experience if you do! :thumb:

Hey Moto, I was told 7 days also they would be shipped, well today is day seven since I ordered mine and no tracking info. and no reply from Lucy on last email. Hope they come soon, Have 2 mothers that need the lights.

Hey Densenug!.. and anyone else who may be following and awaiting their lights!!! Great news!!!!

I just received an email from Lucy!! She was super decent!!.. She apologized for the delay and promised to do better moving forward!! She says the lights have been received in the US this week and they just picked them up!!! Those of us waiting for our orders should receive shipping info this coming week!!!! Woooo hoooo!!!

Alright. I am still trying to plan my new grow space. I need more space to get the most out of my girls.

I am looking a 2 Mars-Hydro 3x3 tents. I have 2 Mars 400. I figured I would use those in one tent. Now I need to figure which light for the other tent. Should I go Mars 700 or go more with a 900? Or should I get the 192x3 reflector? It seems the reflector will give me better coverage @ 16-18". What are your thoughts?

Hey super groomer!! I was back and forth between the mars ll 700 and the reflector 144x3 for my space which is 36" x 20" x 62". I couldn't decide whether I wanted one powerful light centered between my two sites... vs a less powerful light that would nearly cover my entire tents ceiling. My main concern was the reflector may not give as dense of flowers as the mars ll. However, I just couldn't see paying more money for less physical coverage, and ultimately decided to cover 33" x 10" of my ceiling vs 15" x 15".

I'm planning on doing a capn style top feed, using the main lining technique and two sites. Which should give me 16 giant colas vs scrog or sog. This was why I was concerned with not having enough penetration if I selected the reflector series. Luckily, I stumbled upon a thread "boogies 144x3 multi strain". In his thread he had pics of a blue cheese(same strain as one of mine) he'd grown under a 144x 3 and the pics of the flowers erased any doubts from my mind on the reflector series completely.

That being said, Iffff your budget isn't a concern... and you have a decent ceiling height, it seems that most people here will suggest multiple Mars ll for best coverage and penetration. If budget, power usage, and ceiling height are an issue, in my humble newbie opinion I think a reflector series covering as much of the tents ceiling as possible would be your best bet!!!

Hey super groomer!! I was back and forth between the mars ll 700 and the reflector 144x3 for my space which is 36" x 20" x 62". I couldn't decide whether I wanted one powerful light centered between my two sites... vs a less powerful light that would nearly cover my entire tents ceiling. My main concern was the reflector may not give as dense of flowers as the mars ll. However, I just couldn't see paying more money for less physical coverage, and ultimately decided to cover 33" x 10" of my ceiling vs 15" x 15".

I'm planning on doing a capn style top feed, using the main lining technique and two sites. Which should give me 16 giant colas vs scrog or sog. This was why I was concerned with not having enough penetration if I selected the reflector series. Luckily, I stumbled upon a thread "boogies 144x3 multi strain". In his thread he had pics of a blue cheese(same strain as one of mine) he'd grown under a 144x 3 and the pics of the flowers erased any doubts from my mind on the reflector series completely.

That being said, Iffff your budget isn't a concern... and you have a decent ceiling height, it seems that most people here will suggest multiple Mars ll for best coverage and penetration. If budget, power usage, and ceiling height are an issue, in my humble newbie opinion I think a reflector series covering as much of the tents ceiling as possible would be your best bet!!!

Let's face it. Budget is Always a concern. That being said, I love my 400s. No complaints. With the tax refund I can afford the 192x3, the 700 or the 900. I don't see me expanding my space after this. 2 3x3 tents will be perfect for my needs. My two problems with my grow space are :

a. Temp is a problem. I am in an external building that I have to run 2 space heaters to keep the temps up. If I move o the tents, the problem will go away

b. I feel like my plants are over crowded. I have 3 BUSHY girls in flower and I don't think they are getting the light they should since they are so close together. My Veg cabinet it overflowing with 3 plants that want to flower but I have no room at the moment. At least 2-3 more weeks for space to open up.

So I am torn. Mars II or Reflector. My gut says go with the Mars II. I have been happy with them so far.:smokin:

Back
Top Bottom