Marshydro g8led light

Noobert420

Hello everybody first time poster long time reader. I just bought what I believe to be a g8led 900w led off eBay. Is anybody out there familiar with this light enough to tell signs of a fake or a lookalike? I have done a little research and know to look for missing heat sinks, physical dimensions and weight, and to test how much power she's drawing, is there anything else more specific or detailed? The seller has it listed as a Marshydro light because of a Mars sticker slapped on the back of it, It's obviously not a Mars IMO
My major concern from the pics is the on off switch and the fan cutouts are slightly different from pics I have seen, I believe its just a slightly older model. She has 12 rows of 24 LEDs which would equal to 864w. I'm going to try to upload some pics from the auction in a bit when I get on the pc, and then quality detailed pics when the package arrives. I hope this will be a hidden gem. If not I have money back guarantee. :volcano-smiley:

image25268.jpg
image25274.jpg
image25273.jpg

Strange. Mars Hydro only makes the following models, as named on their website: 'Old Model', 'Reflector', 'MARS II' and 'Sun Series'.

G8 is from Dorm Grow if I remember correctly.
Yeah it is Dorm Grow: Hydroponic LED Grow Light | LED Growlights | Dorm Grow

What's the wattage/model of this unit?
It still appears to be missing some Dorm Grow markings on the back, but contacting them might be a good start to help ID the light. They have really good customer service from what I've heard, and they're a sponsor here too.

Was this purchased from a Mars Hydro store or just a regular Ebay user?

There's also a chance that the seller put the sticker on it.

But either way, if you have an authentic Dorm Grow G8, you're going to have a good light.

The seller was just a regular user with a handful of buy and sells, and had it listed as only a marshydro grow light.

The wattage is claimed to be 900, and I also noticed a couple of missing markings just thinking it might be an older model when trying to Google images the unit. (My major concern was I didn't see the power switch in the photo)

I tried asking the seller a couple simple questions but they were totally clueless and didn't even tell me what model it was. I do believe someone did just slap the sticker on it, because from the photo it looks like the corner of the sticker looks to be curled upwards/peeling. It's harder to see on the posted pic above.

Anyways, I will update further when I learn more and just crossing my fingers it's a g8led.

P.s If anyone has some pics of the internal guts of a G8led that would be awesome if you would share

You could always contact Dorm Grow, I'm sure they'd be happy to help you out, since you are now, indirectly, a customer of theirs.

12 diodes x 24 diodes is the 900 watt model, but keep in mind, the actual power draw is 540 watts, so when discussing the light in terms of coverage per square foot, use the 540 watt number.

Sounds like a typical counterfeit goods pusher, I would report it to ebay so no one else gets burned, I can almost guarantee you that this light will use either BridgeLux, Epistar and or Optotech LED's, Put your UV protected sunglasses on and look at the LED's while they are on the Infrared's can be identified as the ones you can't see with your naked eye but do show up on a video. Either way you should always do your research right?

Sounds like a typical counterfeit goods pusher, I would report it to ebay so no one else gets burned, I can almost guarantee you that this light will use either BridgeLux, Epistar and or Optotech LED's, Put your UV protected sunglasses on and look at the LED's while they are on the Infrared's can be identified as the ones you can't see with your naked eye but do show up on a video. Either way you should always do your research right?

I did a little bit of research but took a chance and rolled the dice 240$. Besides eBay has a 100% guarantee and it's definitely not a marshydro as listed so I can dispute it to get money back.

For the glasses part I do not own a pair yet,but looked at a couple. Do you think a camera with a uv cover/filter over lens would work To compare the two? Any suggestions for a decent pair of glasses?

You should be able to return the unit to ebay for a full refund, as it isn't what it's claimed to be.
Worst thing is it will take a couple of weeks where the seller has time to respond,
but I've always gotten my money back on bogus items.

You could keep it, if it appears to be working properly...but you really don't know
what's inside the case as they are playing games at least with labels.

Update: Received the light today and unfortunately not a g8led, but I do believe it is an old lgled model. The circuit board has the date of 2013 on it. Sarah could this be a old model during the transition from"Topled" to marshydro? The seller really believes that this is a marshydro and if it's a fake I believe he did not know. Plus he put some extra surprises with the packaging that made it worth it alone. Will try to post some pics tomorrow if I have time.

I don't know about the early days of Top LED, but when I joined the site a year ago, they were still operating under the Top LED name, and all the lights that are currently offered today under the Mars Hydro name, were the same models, cases, shape, appearance etc.. as were offered under the Top LED name.

The only thing they've changed, that I noticed, was the addition of Mars Hydro name stickers on the models (I own one with a sticker, one without, both purchased direct from the website), and the Veg/Bloom switches on the MARS II models.

I have not noticed any other changes to the outside appearance of the lights that would match the outside case of the light you own.

Ok it's definitely not a Mars or g8 as I was hoping. I'm going to give her a go for a week or two and see how she performs. If I do decide to keep it I'll definitely be adding a g8 bloom light when the time is needed. Ohh well thanks for the replies.

The light is our very very old model, we did not sell them since 2013. I guess the seller ordered the lights from us before the date, but the stickers could be ours from the new models. Cause we don't use the Mars-hydro logo before 2014. :volcano-smiley: That is the reason I thought it was a fake one at the first sight, lol :Namaste:
Update: Received the light today and unfortunately not a g8led, but I do believe it is an old lgled model. The circuit board has the date of 2013 on it. Sarah could this be a old model during the transition from"Topled" to marshydro? The seller really believes that this is a marshydro and if it's a fake I believe he did not know. Plus he put some extra surprises with the packaging that made it worth it alone. Will try to post some pics tomorrow if I have time.

You are always welcome to order from our website the mars II series as well, :circle-of-love:
Ok it's definitely not a Mars or g8 as I was hoping. I'm going to give her a go for a week or two and see how she performs. If I do decide to keep it I'll definitely be adding a g8 bloom light when the time is needed. Ohh well thanks for the replies.

The light is our very very old model, we did not sell them since 2013. I guess the seller ordered the lights from us before the date, but the stickers could be ours from the new models. Cause we don't use the Mars-hydro logo before 2014. :volcano-smiley: That is the reason I thought it was a fake one at the first sight, lol :Namaste:

Thanks Sara
I was starting to believe it was just a generic no namer from alibaba.com (saw some very familiar lookalikes" Do you know if this light has the same spectrum as your classic series you are currently selling. I was originally just bidding from your name trying to get a good deal since I was in no rush for a light yet when curiosity got me. You are very helpful Sara and I will deffiitley be looking into more of your products. I want to start seeing some grows with the sun series as it has caught my attention.

Back
Top Bottom