MaryJWanna's Train Wreck Indoor - Soilless Mix - Grow Journal

Re: MaryJWanna's Train Wreck Indoor (Soil less Mix) Grow Journal

I defoliate in vegetative growth and in flowering. You can defoliate the lower growth and any leaf that shades a bud site. Defoliation in flowering can be done at days 21-25 when the stretch phase has ended and again at day 45 if needed. Bassman59 has run several journals in which he defoliates and has excellent harvests.

@bassman59

Hey KingJohn,
Thanks for the link and info. I think that I will try this method with my next set. ;)

And for a beginner's perspective on defoliation....

I was tempted to defoliate around three weeks into flower, but I'm glad I didn't. Right around that time my GDP developed curling in her leaves from nitrogen toxicity. I cut back the nitrogen and flushed her really well. By doing this, I think I removed everything beneficial in her soil. In a week's time I'd say she drained about 20-30% of her largest fan leaves. I worry about what the plant would look like now if I had removed those leaves right before she needed them.

Now that she's back into a healthy balance, I pick off 'troubled' or 'used' leaves. I remove a lot of the thin, limp leaves deep in the plant that keep trying to grow, but never thrive. After a fan leaf is at least 80% yellow and a bit crinkly on the ends, I will remove that.

I think it's something you have evaluate with each plant. If my humidity were too high, I'd probably remove more leaves. I wouldn't remove any leaves if my humidity were too low, unless I risked powdery mildew development. When Loretta started having 'the troubles' I picked a lot off of her growth simply to be able to see her branches easier.

Barring any of those issues, I'm more inclined to leave them because I now view them as a safety reserve. Maybe once I'm pro and feel like I won't need that backup, I'll do heavier defol, but not now. :)

Hey Dresney,
We are on the same page. I went in to flower with lower N2 levels so I don't want to take the "reserves" that may potentially keep her alive if something goes down. lol and maybe i'm being extra cautious and paranoid. Thanks for understanding ;)

Hey Everyone, Is it ok if the buds grow sideways ish? They are starting to get top heavy. They have support from the SCROG about 8 inches down for the big ones so they won't crack or break off the stem but just curious if they need to be vertical or not? Or if you think I should support her better.
Thanks everyone ;)

Looks great! I am very interested in using a ScroG. I am a total noob, but the journals I've read that use this method look so impressive!

yea its ok to grow sideways
I super crop a lot and sometimes its stay a bit sideways like the top of my nycd right now

I'm also up in the air about defoliation I done read good and not so good about it. I add a little nitrogen to my plants and they all greening up pretty good. I also take leafs they are blocking buds are that have no use. Hopefully this doesn't stress my plants either. You plant look great man

Looks great! I am very interested in using a ScroG. I am a total noob, but the journals I've read that use this method look so impressive!

Hey AlloyGT, Welcome! :welcome:and thank you:thanks:
It was super easy dude. I just tied it on and then pulled it down and gently directed the leaves spreading outward from the middle. Then pulled it down a little more. The plant did all the work lol, I will be doing this method every time.:blunt:

I'm also up in the air about defoliation I done read good and not so good about it. I add a little nitrogen to my plants and they all greening up pretty good. I also take leafs they are blocking buds are that have no use. Hopefully this doesn't stress my plants either. You plant look great man

Thanks Lazy leaf.:Namaste:

yea its ok to grow sideways
I super crop a lot and sometimes its stay a bit sideways like the top of my nycd right now

Sweet thanks Cronichemhog,
I will check out your journal. ;)

Sideways...
AWESOME :)

Well she is slanted, the word sideways, maybe I was being a tad over zealous... bahaha:bong::lot-o-toke:

HELP!!!! Has she turned???
2 nights ago I lost track of time and didn't close her up and she got 3 hours of indirect light. Then she had her normal complete darkness for 9 hours (the remaining of the 12). Did that cause this? or is this nothing??
Thanks.

20140221_123728.jpg
20140221_123704.jpg

don't see what your talking about don't see anything unusual
Happy Freeweed day Mary :thumb:

It will be fine. Once you go ScroG you never go back.

Ya was worried it was turning into a banana thing, and she had her balls tucked between her legs or something...

Scrog fo life!! hahaha Happy Frieday!:lot-o-toke:

looking good, do you know your PPM of water after nutes are added?

PPM presently is still confusing to me as math and conversions are not my forte. No I do not measure PPM. I measure my nutes with my trusty syringe (measured in cc's) and according to the chart (says 1310 ppm) that accompanied my nute system. Then I measure the pH.

For example, the chart says 1 grow, 2 micro, 3.5 bloom (per liter). I have been measuring these numbers as cc's as I was under the assumption cc=mL. I also mix my nutes in 2 liter bottles so I double the number to 2,4 & 7.

Why is there something you noticed wrong with my plant? lol
I have caused slight nute burn on tips recently as I was under feeding her for the most part.
Please teach me about PPM!!

PPM presently is still confusing to me as math and conversions are not my forte. No I do not measure PPM. I measure my nutes with my trusty syringe (measured in cc's) and according to the chart (says 1310 ppm) that accompanied my nute system. Then I measure the pH.

For example, the chart says 1 grow, 2 micro, 3.5 bloom (per liter). I have been measuring these numbers as cc's as I was under the assumption cc=mL. I also mix my nutes in 2 liter bottles so I double the number to 2,4 & 7.

Why is there something you noticed wrong with my plant? lol
I have caused slight nute burn on tips recently as I was under feeding her for the most part.
Please teach me about PPM!!

PPM is kinda confusing because of the various PPM conversion factors used throughout the world. The problem is on the internet we chat worldwide, and use our own local nutrient formulas. PPM means different things to different people.

Here's a link that explains the confusion.

20140228_080810.jpg
Hello
I have another paranoia post for you. Is this growth under the leaf normal? I have already removed it as a precaution. It didn't have a hard seed per se on the inside but it did have a shell type thing.

Hiya, Mary :ciao:

I can't tell what that is. I definitely see what you're talking about, but I have no ideas.

You say it had a shell? Have you seen any balls around?

Do you have any other photos of it?

I hope it's nothing - it's probably nothing! ;)

Back
Top Bottom