Maryland: Medical Marijuana Commission's Executive Director To Step Down

Jacob Redmond

The first executive director of the state commission tasked with establishing a medical marijuana industry in Maryland will step down at the end of January.

Hannah Byron will resign from her position as head of the Natalie M. LaPrade Maryland Medical Cannabis Commission effective Jan. 27. The commission has not yet named her successor.

The leadership transition comes as the state's medical marijuana program shifts from an organizational phase to operational steps.

"As I anticipate my 30th year working in the public sector and the medical cannabis program's transition to an important new phase, this is the logical time for me to hand the reins to a new executive director," Byron said in a statement.

The commission received more than 1,000 applications for dispensaries, growers and processors. The next steps will be to review those applications and award pre-approval to up to two dispensaries per senatorial district, up to 15 growers and an unlimited number of processors.

Applicants that receive pre-approval have one year from their notification date complete a litany of next steps (raising money, zoning approvals, property, constructions, hiring) needed to obtain a formal license.

Byron has served as executive director of the commission since January.

She previously worked for eight years as assistant secretary for the division of tourism, film and the arts at the state's Department of Commerce, formerly the Department of Business and Economic Development.

md-weed-decriminalize.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Maryland Medical Marijuana Commission's Executive Director To Step Down
Author: Sarah Gantz
Photo Credit: Animal New York

Back
Top Bottom