Mason jars help cure?

Well 6 months is a pretty long time with fine results !

I don't like smoking my own herb once dried but prefer a 2 to 3 month cure to bring out its best & it should be quite tasty by then :thumb:

Better how? Flavor or potency?
The flavor definitely changes but I'm not convinced the potency improves.

My wife and I grew what turned out to be 6lbs. Outdoors last year. Three strains. We moved a couple of months ago and left the bulk of our grow there. Every two weeks they bring us 2 ounces. All smoke is stored in Mason jars. But every time, and I swear to this, the taste keeps getting better and more smooth. What's has really stood out and has me completely blown away is the potency. Everytime it's stronger and stronger.

------Best of big buds to you----

Mason jars are also the best when you need to add moisture to over-dry buds. I Do use humidipacs, but my buds tend to dry out a lot after 3 months. So I put a damp paper towel over the mouth and screw the lid back on. In 24 hours the buds are what they should be. The longest I have been able to keep a cure is 5 months. My family keeps asking me for more. (They do chores for pot)

Thanks AK!! I like the paper towel idea because it ends up very dry, so I might try that. I like it dry, no chance for mold. I hang for 7 days then put 1/4lb. worth in big paper bag for another 7 days and shake around bags daily. Then I jar. It turns out nice. I wanted to find a standard procedure and thats what I do.
I open the jars every month or so and check. All is well! Ive had jars that were 3yrs old and it gets better.
Thanks To All!!

Why not? And when do you like to smkoe it?

Well after the initial slow air dry i generally find the bud is slightly harsh & not so tasty...

Smoothness & taste improves with curing every body knows that hopefully.

So myself 2 week slow air dry with 6 weeks curing is my average time before i'll really start sampling my own grown bud i may just leave for 3 months if i think i need to ?

Not sure about potency over a long period of time tho, but yes in the beginning perhaps so depending on tric colouring when harvested i normally wait in till nearly all cloudy with a touch of amber if possible very strain related tho the rest of the clear tric's ripen up during the slow air dry & the first couple of months of curing so potency may increase ultimately at what stage you harvested !

You should be able to see this happen with a jewelers glass or mini microscope if you care to check !

I have stored bud for longer than six months to 9 & 12 months plus i normally experience some degrading in effect after 12 plus but all very strain related & expected self life to how it is stored :thumb:

This is just speculation, but since buds shrink in size as they dry and cure, it *seems* to be more potent because you have condensed the buds. Also, if you harvested a tad early, the immature THCA probably degraded into THC, which gives it the high you are looking for. Certainly, the taste DOES improve, as remaining Chlorophyll is broken down and terpines ripen.

Is this logical? Does anyone have any science on why longer cures seem more potent?

I look at it like this, as decarboxylation progresses, slow drying from THCA and CBDA into THC and CBD, also raises the CBN content. Which adds sedation to your high. In which, may be what people want in potency, or not. So sedation and potency may be confused there. My opinion.

Better how? Flavor or potency?
The flavor definitely changes but I'm not convinced the potency improves.

I'm not sure. I've been getting into some jars I've had for over 2 years and some of it is more potent than I remember. Of course, a loadie's memory is not to be trusted, which is why I'm not sure. :laugh: I never looked into it though - I bet someone has tested it.

To any readers of this thread - you can safely store cannabis in canning jars with a Boveda 62 pack for years. :thumb:

Properly dried first and kept at cool room temp in the dark. The terps will "mature" as the various components settle into a stasis. For example, the citrus strains will give off a blast of over-ripe fruit when the first puff of moist air escapes the jar, and as the nug sits in room air the scent will slowly fade to a danker version of the original. The smoke is very smooth and "foggy"? feeling in the lungs. Like a bong hit.

I was surprised and impressed.

Nice response people!! Fuzzy duck dont assume everyone knows anything. Almost 40 yrs medicating for me and dident know about storing in mason jars untill my first grow 4 yrs ago. I know it gets better in jars. Incredible difference! Its been too many years of brown weed from Mexico stored in a plastic bag for me.

I hang for 7 days and than put in paper bag for 7 days than jar em. There dry as my ex ol ladies crotch. Which I like because Im scared of mold and STD's, ha!
I also wait too long to harvest. utill the Trics are 70% amber and some look like their popped. Im a Greenhorn yet! Then I also like the sedation affect. This year Im going to try! pick sooner. Nice Info people
20160601_091001.jpg
!!

Ye i get the point 4Dutchess !

Even old dogs like our selves learn new tricks, hey even i'm still learning a lot of things & still think i'm a little bit of a novice at times what it is all about is sharing your experience/info to help so many others :thumb:

The only thing i've found with mason jars is the rubber seal degrades/perish after several years this may lead to air leaks which might not be so good for long term storage, so getting a good air tight seal is quite important. I just back the seal up with a couple pieces of cling film over the jar opening before closing the lid to get a good seal.

I'm not a kind of person who harvests with a large amber tric ratio i'm afraid, to me that say's THC content gets lower.

Yes i can understand the individual choice on wanting to do so either way on ones preferred taste to qualities they seek.

But i've not really viewed a great amount of info on how a longer cure may enhance CBD, CBN, CBG, CBC & other cannaboids when any one strain particular grown may only support X % of these to finding the optimal point of harvest depending tric colouring with out lab test results or length of cure... so it is quite a large open area.

Some lab tests - Strain test results

Ye those where mostly taken at the end of expected flowering time & standard curing time i think dutty was around 2 to 3 month cure man him self... not really seen any results off such on older stored weed tho ?

I vaguely remember that CBD degrades early. IIRC you get a lower CBD % even when you let it go longer before harvest ...

I had an Auto Moby Dick XXL, actualy I had like 7-8 in total but, I had 1 that was shot in stature and just white. The surprise was that I was looking for Head high but that only moby was more indica. I cured it for 3 and some months and the high was quite different. It was a really nice head-body high ballance... But never had anything pass 1 month :(

Back
Top Bottom