Mason Jars in amber color

Ghostwriter31

Good afternoon fellow growers
Before I get started I apologize now if this is off topic or in wrong place or against rules because not a sponsor. I’m thinking I’m good on that front but may be surprised. Anyhow
I can’t find amber 64 oz ball mason jars anywhere. I’ve been looking for a month or longer . Anyone know where I may find some like I have pictured?
I did find these 3 large ones at Kroger for $20. I bought two sets today . They won’t fit in the refrigerator I’m buying to cure my harvest but will work great for long term storage . I think I got a great deal on em

38A6CD99-94A2-4664-9546-1E9E465B5088.jpeg

0F536A04-3B74-4ABC-B6E5-DE2579D0A3B2.jpeg

A0AE2ACC-ABE7-4EDF-8274-983E6EF9356C.jpeg

7985B151-926F-430E-A4E9-287BEF227DF8.jpeg

I can’t find amber 64 oz ball mason jars anywhere. I’ve been looking for a month or longer . Anyone know where I may find some like I have pictured?
Unless you are going to be doing the long term storage in a room that has windows that will be letting in light there should not be a problem with using clear or one of the blue or green tinted jars. I used to keep some some jars in the root cellar under the porch and that room has no windows. Just about any rarely used basement room should do. I now keep the jars upstairs and to reduce the possible effects of lights I put the jars in cardboard boxes in the closet.

We do canning all year long so I follow the canning jar and accessory market to some extent. I check that area or department when I am at the supermarkets, a "supercenter" market (place like Meijer which has supermarket and department store combined), and hardware stores, even when I do not need supplies.

The pandemic created a bit of a shortage in the canning jar area last year. The stocks started recovering towards mid-fall but it has. Calling it a bit of a shortage is putting it mildly. Every jar disappeared from the shelves along with bands, lids, and all the knick-knacks that go along with canning. Articles in the newspaper and on-line said it was like that all over the country with no time table for when the market would return to normal.

Standard jars are back on the shelves. The bands are reusable for several times but new lids should be used for each canning session. Those are hard to find and I am not sure when the stores will be restocked.

There is a thread on stash jars somewhere here on the msg board. A couple of people mentioned finding jars at garage or yard sales. Maybe check the local papers once or twice a week.
>>>>> https://www.420magazine.com/community/threads/stash-jars.470064/

Unless you are going to be doing the long term storage in a room that has windows that will be letting in light there should not be a problem with using clear or one of the blue or green tinted jars. I used to keep some some jars in the root cellar under the porch and that room has no windows. Just about any rarely used basement room should do. I now keep the jars upstairs and to reduce the possible effects of lights I put the jars in cardboard boxes in the closet.

We do canning all year long so I follow the canning jar and accessory market to some extent. I check that area or department when I am at the supermarkets, a "supercenter" market (place like Meijer which has supermarket and department store combined), and hardware stores, even when I do not need supplies.

The pandemic created a bit of a shortage in the canning jar area last year. The stocks started recovering towards mid-fall but it has. Calling it a bit of a shortage is putting it mildly. Every jar disappeared from the shelves along with bands, lids, and all the knick-knacks that go along with canning. Articles in the newspaper and on-line said it was like that all over the country with no time table for when the market would return to normal.

Standard jars are back on the shelves. The bands are reusable for several times but new lids should be used for each canning session. Those are hard to find and I am not sure when the stores will be restocked.

There is a thread on stash jars somewhere here on the msg board. A couple of people mentioned finding jars at garage or yard sales. Maybe check the local papers once or twice a week.
>>>>> https://www.420magazine.com/community/threads/stash-jars.470064/

Thank you for your detailed reply . That makes sense and was sorta told exactly what you said by a department store manager . Kroger has one of these departments in their grocery store where I reside . The 3 jar set was $30 on sale for $20 so I bought 2 sets . Those blue jars are small mouth so I’ll end up using those to drink out of.

I will do as you do when storing the clear jars . Keep out of light penetrating areas where it’s cool . I love my amber colored jars . I’ll find more it just may take some time

I found mine at wallyworld... not sure if they are there now though... I am trying hard to avoid the big germ filled place.
thats where I found mine in 2019. WW has them on their web page/store bud sold out. I set a “ reminder” for them to alert me when they are back in stock. Apparently the pandemic caused panic and the canning aisle suffered . They cleaned it out. I found some large clear that will work for now .

While at the local Kroger the other day I checked the canning section. They had a decent number of cases of jars in quart and pint sizes.

This morning I picked up several corned beefs for Wednesday and to make some pastrami style beefs for later. Walked over the to the canning section which is larger than at Kroger. The Meijer was close to fully stocked as far as jars went but still no boxes of just the lids.

As for the 'amber' jars that are UV resistant there were the 4 jar boxes of 1/2 gallon and the 12 jars to a box of pints. I noticed boxes of the quart size jars but did not notice how many jars to each box. Lot of the clear jars in a all styles and sizes. Still no boxes of just the lids.

Any time the boxes of lids and rings combined show up they are gone within days. The 'amber' jars probably will not last long.

Back
Top Bottom