Massachusetts Growers

I just got my worms for indoor compost. Since that won't be ready for them I had just told my husband the same thing this morning. Lol.
We picked up some today and will be feeding those pretty flowers to get budding. I feel like a kid in the candy store. The whole garden has been so giving this year.

It's been so dry so I just wait a few days and use the hose either early am or late day early evening. Found a couple a mantis hanging out there. Hoping they keeping bug control. Lol

I run my hose water, thru a filter for chlorine & chlorimine, and then let it set out for 24 hours, before watering plants. Pretty much an inside operation, as mosquitos love standing water. Lol !! Rain water or spring water is much better. But your hose water seems to be working for you !! And it's so much easier !! Lol !!

I read somewhere that chorine and what not aren't as big of a deal given the amount of soil that the ground has to buffer and compensate for such issues. Not sure if that is true with weed, but I can tell you that last summer I grew half of my tomatoes with reservoir water, half with hose water direct from the hose, and there was not difference in the end product.

Just noting, Chorine and Chloramine are different chemicals. It take at least 10 times as long for Chloramine to evap, if you actually get it to evap, than it does chlorine. I used to have a 1000l res for a large fish tank. It would take 8.5 days of sitting with two air stones blowing bubbles, for all traces of Chlorine, Chloramine and Ammonia to be gone. That's compared to less than 2 days for Chlorine alone. Our town switched over in 2015. My understanding is that Chloramine is ammonia and chlorine in water. So as it breaks down, it turns to both of those before completely evaporating off. I haven't read much about it in years, gave up fish tank in favor of growing weed.

I read somewhere that chorine and what not aren't as big of a deal given the amount of soil that the ground has to buffer and compensate for such issues. Not sure if that is true with weed, but I can tell you that last summer I grew half of my tomatoes with reservoir water, half with hose water direct from the hose, and there was not difference in the end product.
You may be right ?? I hope you are !!

On the bug issue..... You said it perfectly Slowpuffer…. Bugs love standing water. Throw a cheap aquarium pump in the bottom of your res and you create moving water. Throw an airstone or two in there, and you have oxygen pumping in. Squitos don't like moving, highly oxygenated water!

Also, agitating the water with a circulation pump and adding oxygen excites the molecules slightly, which makes the evap process happen quicker. If you decide to do the above, simply use Chorine test strips to test 24 hour water that is standing, vs. 24 hour water that is agitated as described. You'll see what I mean!

:lot-o-toke:

But just saying, when you plant directly in the earth vs. in a closed system like a pot, you have way more room to fuck up. Of course, that means its way harder to unfuck. Just my experience.

This is a great conversation. We use a filter at the sink for drinking, cooking and watering plants indoors. In our grow room (spare bedroom closet) lol, we have a portable heater,back and dehumidifier. I dropped it at the back bottom (when it was brand new) and messed up the drainage system do we collect all that water and using for all the potted plants.

As far as the hose water goes, our water here is really good. I keep up with checking water quality reports often. In one of past lives, I worked at a hazardous waste testing lab, always keep up with water quality tests. Just saying, check for variations that can be clues to an upcoming issue.

Now that I am done babbling about water. I started a fish emulsion today. Read all the ingredients and the nutes in the stuff I bought and made my own. In 2 weeks I can you the mild form in 1 month it will be complete. Returned the store bought stuff. That corner of my back yard is going to stink lol

Hey! Pretty new here, but I've noticed a few of us are from Massachusetts so I figured I's start a thread for us "Massholes". :D

To start, here are what I believe are the legal limits for cannabis in MA:
  • Up to 10oz. flower allowed in your home for personal use
  • 6 plant maximum for adults who live alone
  • 12 plant maximum for 2+ adults living in the same household
  • Unlimited amount of flower (only from home grown plants)
Hey CrazyChef can you determine if my plant is a girl or boy
20190731_171348.jpg
20190731_171348.jpg

My thought is we can grow good eating tomatoes, but with just a little more love, we can grow GREAT eating tomatoes. Zeroday, The water agitation idea is a great one, and would probably cut the set time down closer to 12 hrs.. And if you want to get real, you can brew some tea in that water ? Your plants will love you !! It’s fun being an arm chair quarterback !!
Now that I am done babbling about water. I started a fish emulsion today. Read all the ingredients and the nutes in the stuff I bought and made my own. In 2 weeks I can you the mild form in 1 month it will be complete. Returned the store bought stuff. That corner of my back yard is going to stink lol
just be careful of to much stink, as some critter might dig your plants up, looking for that dam fish !! I don’t know about there, but we got a lot of diggers on the west side. Come sept., you’ll need a mean bulldog tied up by your plants ?

Hey CrazyChef can you determine if my plant is a girl or boy
20190731_171348.jpg
20190731_171348.jpg
It's still too early to tell. But the parts I circled in red MIGHT be the beginnings of male pollen sacs. The part I circled in blue MIGHT be starter female pistils. But like I said, it's really too early to tell. Give it another week, maybe two, then we can look again.

Back
Top Bottom