Massive Pain, but cannot smoke

G-Dog

I find myself in an interesting position.

About a month ago, I started having morning pain in my right thumb, it would lock up on me, hang up, make a clicking sound. The pain is like a toothache, only covering a larger area. Very extreme.

My GF had some percoset, and that worked a little bit, but it still hurt. I do not know what happened, but thought it would just go away. After some time I gave in and went to the doctor.

Of course the doctor didn't know what it is, so they call everything arthritis. That's what doctors do, they label everything something off of a list if they cannot identify it with all certainty. Since he called it arthritis, he could not offer anything for the pain that you cannot get over the counter. His words were, "If you have a life long condition we cannot prescribe narcotics, that will just make you a drug addict". He has a great point, if arthritis is what it is. For the first time in my life, I may benefit from MMJ.

Now I have a large and powerful dog that I walk every day, it is possible that he did something to it pulling me by the leash. It may not be arthritis, in fact I doubt that it is. The only place on my body that I have this problem is my right hand, the one I use for walking my dog.

Now here is the real kick. I got a DUI 4 years ago and didn't face up to it until January. I was given probation and told to basically go through Intensive Out Patient (IOP) drug counseling. I was placed for three months with Heroin and Meth addicts 3 times a week, and AA. I know, did the crime, I do the time. However, part of the program is that I cannot do MMJ. The program doesn't believe in MMJ and to be in compliance with probation I have to be in compliance with IOP. There is no way around it. At any time my probation officer or one of the IOP directors can force drug testing on me.

Now I went into IOP thinking it was 3 months (72 hours). Once getting in I am told that the 3 times a week bit was for 3 months, but they can have you coming in 1 time a week for a couple of years if they deem necessary. I graduated IOP last week, hurray. But I have to still go to the weekly meetings. My counselor says that since I have been clean almost 4 years (alcohol) she will try to get me out in about two months. That means the best possible scenario for me is 2 months of pain, and if my condition still exist I can then start to use MMJ. See the probation officer and the courts do not have a problem with MMJ, per se. They just insist that I am in compliance with my counseling, and the counseling prohibits use of MMJ.

I have no record of any marijuana offenses, I am here strictly for alcohol. I would argue the point of MMJ to the counseling agency if I had a MJ record. I am afraid that if I admitted using MJ to the agency I would open a whole new can of worms and possibly prolong my treatment program. Currently I am their poster boy of recovery. 4 years clean.

It's just a mess.

I have always been very healthy, especially for my age, so this is new to me. Never have I considered smoking MJ medicinally. But when you look at the options, you cannot take narcotics for a life long condition. Well you can, but once you start you are sort of an addict.

Hopefully this is just an injury, not arthritis, and I will be back to my normal self before too long. I had an xray, but they don't show anything except broken bones. As it is now I cannot use my right hand, and I am right handed. I have had to make a lot of adjustments. And don't think I am not smoking at all. But it does weigh heavily on my mind when I do. The counseling center couldn't tell people not to use other prescribed drugs, they just say you cannot use MMJ. I am just not up to go to war with them. Probation requires I follow their recommendations, and if I choose to use mmj they will kick me out. I guess if they kick me out that is a violation of probation.

I graduated IOP last week and they tell me I should be completely finished with the program in two months. I could of had to stay for a year to two years if I didn't convince them that I have never done any drugs in my life and only had a brief stint with alcohol. All paperwork that exist in the world on me supports that.

Sounds like they are reeming you just to be on the safe side... never seen the powers that be overkill something... NO NO NO!

I wonder if it isn't a tendon strain... w/no apparent breakage that would be a viable guess.

Worst to worst you just gotta bear life w/o MJ for a short time... you can do it!

I am still smoking Captain. I am just doing it with the risk of getting caught with no legal defense. I appear like the school teacher type and nobody suspects I am using. When people in group try to convince the counselors that marijuana is a safer alternative than RX, alcohol and hard drugs I have to be quiet. It kills my spirit because I am and always have been an activist (on the internet or the polls).

As a man who has been through(and is still in) an IOP, actually got out of it recently myself. I was there for something other then Drug and Alcohol use but thats not the point. I litterly see this every day. Since I am not there for Drug use though, I fight with them every day.

I explained to them how I could abuse the drugs I can abuse much easier; My Klonopin and ambien for example.

The Two reasons I smoked Originally. Along with the fact Im having horrible side effects from the other five drugs I'm on. All of which where cured from MMJ.

Keep fighting the good fight. If you need any support hit me up, I understand completely where your coming from.

Also if you really need something for the pain, There should be a Medical Doctor at your IOP ask him to perscribe something to get you through this s***.

Also, I know they Pee test everyone here, Do they make all of you pee in a cup?

Hi Chobble, and thanks.

So far I have not had to give a drug test to the IOP. I contend that I had a drinking problem for a small period of my life while going through a divorce and losing my father, which is true. I also say that I have never smoked weed. I said that I tried MJ a time or two, but didn't really inhale, that I didn't really care for it. I thought that my saying I have been clean of alcohol for nearly 4 years and not using any other drugs would not give them any reason for me to attend IOP. Well the fact is that is how they make money, and everyone that is forced to have an assessment from the courts is going to be recommended IOP. So what they see is this man that looks completely straight, someone that appears grossed out by the hard drugs users, having to endure it. I don't reek of alcohol or look messed up. So I do not have to give them drug test. Apparently they do not want to waste money on testing. They only test people that are obviously messed up or those that someone has been reported to them. My probation is in another county, about 150 miles away. I can call in my probation appointments once a month and my PO considers my IOP my local baby sitter. As long as I do not have any police contact or any problems in my IOP they do not worry about me. I am not really a bad person anyway. I got a DUI. I only made this thread to illustrate the irony that smoking MMJ is legal in my state, for the first time in my life need MMJ, and cannot use it. I am going back to the doctor tomorrow to explore some options. Narcotics are not one of them however.

Currently I am taking over the counter drugs in larger than recommended doses. Every time I break down and take 3 Tylenol I think of the damage it does to my liver. I have an inlaw that had to have a liver transplant from Tylenol. I know this lady very well, and she has never drank or taken an illegal drug. Her liver was destroyed by taking larger than recommended doses of Tylenol for a bad back. The only option that seems feasible to me is MMJ as it doesn't damage any organs and is not addicting.

Hang in there bro, even if you do have to take a large amount of pills, at least it's only for a short period of time until you can get back on MMJ regularly. What's important is you have the forums as an outlet, which I'm sure makes it easier to sit through those meetings.

Be thankful that your doctor did not prescribe you pain meds Imo he did you a giant favor. I myself have degenerative joint disease and am in constant pain and my doctor was more than happy to prescribe me whatever I needed for pain.After 3 years of taking some really heavy meds living in a fog and basically became a junkie on the stuff .I don't care how strong your will is you WILL become addicted after prolonged use.I have been clean from narcotics for a little over a year but the pain is still there and always will be for that matter.Every day I have to use positive thinking and Limited exercise/stretching no matter how much pain I am in.It works and more importantly I can be present for my family nowdays I guess what I am trying to say is pain is a pretty complex thing that can be treated mostly by positive thinking I know it probably sounds crazy but no matter what substance you use you can never mask pain without side effects.I do smoke occasionally but not every hour of every day It does not take the pain away but it does help keep my mind of it and makes me able to relax.If you can stay away from the pharmacy do it cause those drugs are the devil in disguise.I don't really know what else to say other than good luck and the fact that they have helped you quit drinking is a great thing. peace

Good news, the doctors messed up. They found a fracture in my thumb. I have been suffering untreated for weeks. At least it's not arthritis!

Dang! Sorry it took so long for them to find your fracture. I broke a metacarpal and it took three diff docs to find the break. At least from here they know how to treat you and hopefully within a few days you'll be feeling way better!

Dang! Sorry it took so long for them to find your fracture. I broke a metacarpal and it took three diff docs to find the break. At least from here they know how to treat you and hopefully within a few days you'll be feeling way better!

I feel better already. They have me in a split, or a cast that can come off. I was under the impression that I had a life-long condition and was going to be in this much pain for the rest of my life. It was such a relief to find that it was a fracture. It's ironic that after finding the fracture they offered narcotic pain relief.

The original point I made in this thread is valid though. There are people that need MMJ that cannot have it and that still needs to be addressed. I thought I would see some folks commenting about being in the same boat.

Good news, the doctors messed up. They found a fracture in my thumb. I have been suffering untreated for weeks. At least it's not arthritis!

I was going to suggest Glucosamine if you did have arthritis.. Great news that it isn't!:high-five:

And your right... It's so nuts that people who can really benefit are legally bound to not have such relief..

When I was a military dependent I told my doctor that I found more relief in cannabis than anything else.. The doc' just smiled and said "well, I can't tell you to use it... But I wouldn't tell you not to"... Since she was in the federal service she couldn't approve me for the State MMJ program... And they do not prescribe Marinol (though she did try) unless you are pretty much one foot in the grave.

What a crazy mixed up world we live in.:loopy:

Hopefully you can get out of those meetings in 2 mos and don't have to sit there listening to people demonize cannabis. Having to listen to that type of garbage really irks me too.

Brother,
For nearly 17 years I have been on massive amounts of prescribed narcotics every single day. The only fortunate thing I can say is that I am one of the 5% of humans who do not get 'high' from any narcotics, legal or illegal, and have been on every narcotic made, and was once up to 360mg a day of Oxycodones. Because, as time goes on, the dose you are on doesn't take care of the pain any more, your body builds a tolerance to them, and larger and larger doses are required to give you the same, or less, pain relief than before. But they definitely screwed with my memory, even though I Never felt one moment's pleasure EVER from taking them. Then their is the almost immediate addiction to them, physical. And before going on morphine, methadone, dilaudid, Oxys and Roxis, the percs and Vicadins had so much friggin tylenol it is a miracle that my liver still functions, but it is always in the back of my mind that it will fail eventually. Tylenol is absolutely Toxic, yet I had gone into anaphalectic shock twice from Aspirin, nearly dying, and cannot take them or any anti-inflamatories. And for 16 years friends and family told me to smoke pot, but didn't. Then my kid gave me a bowl of high quality shit, and wow, it made ALL my pain go away. I got off all those damn narcotics, with all their complications, besides the horrible addiction, they totally ruin every male sexually, and ruin females too in that way. But no doctor ever told me about this complication and only found out after reading it on the NET. So I feel for you brother. Bad car accidents, multiple herniated discs, broken back, arthritis in my joints, neck and headaches from a 55mph whiplash, on and on. If I have to I'll grow it myself. And whether you really have arthritis or not who knows. But even non-narcotics meds specifically for Arthritis have so many bad side affects and complications, I would Never take any of it. And I now get better pain relief from my arthritis in my joints than narcotics ever gave me. Sometimes not all my pain goes away from Pot, but it certainly is substantially reduced enough so that it is manageable. And I think that too is because most people around here have no idea of what they are selling, or even if it is Indica or Sativa. So what you get makes a lot of difference. So if you can't get it legally, Scientists in places like Holland have developed incredible strains for pain management and the numerous other health issues MMJ deals with. So if it is at all possible, I would go into places like Amsterdam seeds(or the hundreds of other seed companies on the Net) and look at the different types and what they do and order seeds and grow it yourself. Why should we suffer because of the F'n government when Mother Earth has given her children the most medicinal plant in the world??? A great resource for MMJ strains and what they help is the Rhode Island MMJ website. Then look for those seeds on the net. I have never heard of one person who has gotten legal troubles from ordering seeds into the U.S. I understand you gotta wait till your legal hassles are over, but there are ways you can clean the pot traces out of your system, and they also are all over the net to learn how Even drinking massive amountsof water to flush out your system, then taking a certain supplement that makes your pee yellow so the testers don't see that it is clear and pure water, can help. My kids have done this very successfully. LOL. Good health and good luck, peace
Chuck

Be COOL just wait out the time you have left. It would be stupid to go and blow it now. If you can kick the booze for four years you can wait out the time you have left. Your whole life is ahead of you. RD :goodluck::goodluck::peace::peace::peace::bravo::bravo:

Back
Top Bottom