MassMedMan: Confessions Of A Dirt Farmer

Been thinking about getting a new journal going not sure if I really want to or have the time. But, I've got a desire to share what I've learned over the years growing cannabis. So, this is a new beginning. This will be much about bull shitting as it is about plants. I don't take a lot of pictures unless they're nudes....

Seriously though, I welcome all, and all topics. And, since today's date is 4/20, in honor of all those before me, it's time to roll!!

Ok, Right now I'm kinda feeling out a new grow space with genetics I've had a while. After spending a few years growing feminized seeds with pretty good results, but, sometimes not the best results and consistency, which affects production. So, in an effort to get more consistency and better results I decided to get some regular seeds from Bodhi. Not exactly sure why I picked Bodhi other then I read a lot about the strains he created and figured I'd give them a shot. He's an organic cannabis farmer and breeder and at the time, so was I....

Right now I'm carrying two phenos from two different strains of his: one is his Sunshine Daydream crossed with his Wookie15. The other is called Lavender Aura and that's a cross of "the" Purple Urkle, and his Wookie15.

I started out with ten regular seeds of each strain.

Out of those ten regulars, the SSDDxWookie15 gave me six girls. Five of them leaned indica and at the time I had a lot of indica leaning plants in my harem. And, I really liked the node spacing and vigor of the sativa leaning plant. So, I kept that one and she's been around the block a lot and produced, pounds. She's a champ! Actually, fact is the first plant I grew that yielded a lb was this strain. I grew all the female phenos for this strain for about a year and only within the last year narrowed it down to one keeper or geno type.

The Lavender Aura strain - I only popped six regular beans, still have four in a safe. Of those six I got three girls. Long story short I had to pick a keeper pheno without seeing it flower first. Not ideal, but I saw good traits in veg and knew it was a lady, so I kept my fingers crossed. My goal in selecting this strain was that I was looking for a purple strain. Without flowering it it's impossible to tell if it'll be purple. I just knew I had a girl and hoped.

I got it! She's very purple and really different to look at. Which is funny because when someone asked me to grow a purple strain I laughed them off and said it's gimmicky.... lol... it is. But it's very cool to see a purple strain now that I've grown it!

For lights.... I started out like most with shop lights. Big ole t12s. :) Moved to HPS and then made a big switch to LEDs. Back when I decided to go LEDs they were very controversial. Wait. They still are - but folks are wising up. And now the controversy isn't if they're good, it's how good and which ones/type are the best. Im not here to battle HPS vs. LED that ship has sailed. I'm here to give you my experience and share my results with what I use and have found success with. I went with Platinum for LEDs and they have been very good to me, the lights and the company. I have four P600s. I've hit 24%+ TAC on strains breeders say should hit in the high teens. I've tested close to twenty samples at a local lab for cannabinoids. My lowest is 16%. And, they'r blurple lights which is a funny term to me cause all I've seen is green. :)

Anyway, over the years as technology has changed I've changed. Now, I run some Nanolux 630 CMH units that are the bees knees. I swear I'd have sex with those lights if I could. :adore:

Very good lights, but they throw some heat. Being in the northeast I've learned to manage it.

I also have a couple Solis Tek 600 ballasts I run with Eye Hortilux bulbs when weather permits.

I guess I need some pics of plants and stuff. That's coming.

Oh, and I started out as a dirt farmer. I've done all that. But, in an effort to chase the illusive one pound plant, in a seven gallon can, I switched to coco. But, I'm coming back to the dirt. Slowly.....

Welcome, thanks for reading internet people, and thanks for sharing and making this site great! :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom