MassMedMan's First Indoor - SCROG - 2 Lemon Kush In Smartpots

Hello!

Long time lurker, first time posting. But, I have to say I've learned more from this site and the members then any other, so thank you already! I hope that coming out of the closet, will be even more beneficial. :) Except for my wife, but, well, anyway. So, this summer I got eleven ladies from some bagseed, let a couple grow out, topped a few, broke one -- ducked taped that girl back, tried different sized pots, but it was all grown in miracle grow and, well was fun and a learning experience -- but a lot of unnecessary work for bagseed. Or maybe not since I learned a lot for free :) So, after a few years of trying it outdoors, with some luck but mostly working on technique. I am now committed to growing my own indoors. I wanted to grow in my basement but my situation doesn't allow, small cottage, low ceiling. So, since I live in a remote area with plenty of land I decided to use an old shed. Well built 7x7' thats insulated, in that I have a 4x4x6 grow tent, I live an area that now has cold climates, let's say north of NY and south of NH. On the east coast, of course.In that shed I have:

4x4x6 grow tent 4" fan set up, vents, cup holder, pipe tray, real hiGH end ;)
400 dimable mh/hps with gullwing
One intake system powered with two computer fans, one on each end. Right now I have 4" rubberized vent hoses/lines. I might switch to different ones, metal or aluminium? when I install the 190 cfm ventech exhaust fan. One end in the tent down low, the other exiting the shed
One exhaust system same as above
The fans are powered by a 500kw computer power supply that I rigged.
One humidifier, one adjustable floor fan, and a small clip on.
I have a C02 sensor, and two hygrometers
sm space heaters in the tent and in the shed area

On 11/7 I put two beans, fem lemon kush photos, from Herbie, that had soaked overnight, in jiffy pots. On 11/10 & 13 those two girls were born, huray!

On 11/15 I put three beans, fem auto candy kush, from attitude that had soaked over night, in rockwool. On 11/18 & 19 all were born, huray!!

After the roots hit the bottom of the jiffy and rockwool I moved them to 4" cowpots.

I've used the cowpots before for outside grows, and for my tomatoes, and I noticed later the roots at the bottom of the bucket once I chopped the mj plants and inspected was always more spread out with less balling. Anyway, I put some fox farms ocean forest in the cowpots and after about a week, I saw the roots at the bottom of the cowpots and then I moved them to their final resting spot.

The lemon kush is gonna be growing for a while, thinking I'll veg for 10 /13 wks.

At the same time the the lemon is vegging I'll be pumping 20hrs at the auto candy which the sellers says takes "as little as 65 days" I expect more, but I'm gonna keep the lights low and see what happens.

I think at week four or sixish I'm going to switch from the mh to the HPS and go to 18/6?

I moved the lemon kush to 5 gallon air pots that fit perfectly in a milk crate, which will come in handy when i start topping and tying.

The auto candy, I only got two to make it past the cow pots, one I torched overnight from taking the top off my greenhouse. I have two of them going and they are in 3 gallon air pots. Moved them in there today actually!

My soil mix for the airpots is basically:

4 parts foxfarm ocean forest
1 part black gold
1part ancient forest
1/2 part each perlite and hydryton

Mixed all that up in a bag, added some PHd water that has SUPERthrive in it.

I have pictures coming.

I hope to max out the autos while I train the lemon kush. I want them girls to be spacial. Im hoping for a halfer in each. But if I do it right i might get a full pound, each? In a 4x4?

I have many questions.

I love this site. I thank anyone who reads this, and anyone who comments can rest assured you're passing down the tools and techniques to a grateful individual.

Thanks folks. I probably screwed up somewhere, apologize for spelling errors and typos in this post since I'm doing from my phone while my wife snores, sorry :)
:thanks:

Not having an easy time uploading pictures. I have to try again today, sorry about that.

Ok, I think I have a few uploaded.

Lemon Kush #1 about two weeks old:

lk21.jpg

Lemon Kush #2 slow starter, but I think this one might be spacial: (dont mind the temps I just got done misting before i took the pics)

lk.jpg

Auto Fem Candy Kush about a week old:

ck1.jpg

Another CK, same time:

ck22.jpg

A look from the top: I have the CK just under the lights about 14" away? I think I can get closer though. At least the chart I have for an MH light with my lumes says that. Hoping to really pound them, they are taking the lights I have a fan blowing right at/over them. I have the LK in the front of the lights, about 12" away as the crow flies. Is this a good idea considering the time I'm going to veg the LK?

over7.jpg

I'll have a few more of the layout later, thanks!

Have a couple more

Looking into the tent, i moved the light up a little:
wide4.jpg

My intake/exhuast area, one down low sucking coooold air in, the one up top blowing it out, using a power supply on a timer, I'm a bit concerned about the cold air coming in and trying to regulate that:
door_intake.png

The intake coming into the tent:
fresh_air.png

Today's update on the first Lemon Kush -- noticed a leaf curling last night and that is why i raised the lights a bit, looks healthy but I also saw some yellowing on a lower leaf, using very little nutes (twice) and only at 1/4 strength:
lk1.png

Little update:

Decided to read more and look in the yellow spots I was noticing with LK1. This one shot up fast, three days before the other, and I think I hit it with nutes too soon. And I'm an overwater-er. And maybe the light was too close. Two of those areas I need much more work on, watering and nutes. The watering I'll force myself to fix and just wait till the girls need it. But next time I do, I am going to make sure I get a good run off -- so I can test and so I know drainage is working properly and all that. So far I have been misting, and giving them water like I would my outside garden -- which I have been told I water too much. SO, I need to work that out, a little discipline.

The nute issue I'm going to fix by removing that aspect. I've read enough growers around here brag about not fertilizing for the first month or so. So, I'll just stop that for a bit and let them enjoy the mix soil mix they are in. I know better but was caught up in the moment of the first weeks or so of seeing them alive and thinking they would want/need more after growing a third of an inch. Insert a smack myself on the head icon here.

I raised the lights a bit too, got a bit eager there and I need to dial them up for a little while i clean them out/up. I think :)_

The stuff is addictive -- growing it, but I'm growing it for a reason so it's more then that. But having not paid for anything in months due to my summer outdoor grows -- I'm in a good position to sit and wait. Be patient.

I got some nice camera's the other day so i can see inside, and added a few perimeter things and do-dads to tighten those area's up.

Last major hurdle with be deciding to "cut the cord" on the cold air coming from outside and just pull it from the rooom itself.

Always something :)

Looking at a couple of LEDs for the final weeks of the Auto's should I decide to swap the LK to 12/12 sooner then my plan.

Thanks for listening, and thanks for sharing,,

Oh and I have some Cal-Mag and a PPM/EC meter coming

Decided to try something new with the Lemon Kush. Going to do a side by side comparison of two different training methods. Neither I've done, but I've done a good deal of gardening over the years and it's taught me a lot. And my lurking here has helped tremendously. And, I did a lot of experimenting with the bagseed this summer, mostly topping and training. One girl, my last one I had to wrap her up with duct tape and pipe cleaner cause the wind made her split down the middle. That one did the best, and she took the most from me,, and the elements. But, I'll share some pictures of her picture later.

So,

One Lemon Kush LST (I'm going to try and walk her around her milk crate)
One Lemon Kush FIM'd (I might top it also)

Here are some new pictures of the last 24. Still no water.

Before I started experimenting, light is up, and up a bit more today

bp.png

LK2 -- training day one. Anchored at 12, I hot glued the anchor wire to a hole I drilled in the crate, started pulling her down at 6 o'clock, left it there for the night, today before they slept I made a few adjustments.

LK2LST_anchor.png

This is 24hrs later, using wire, pipe cleaners, and a few cotton sticks

LK2LST_24.png

LK1 seemed a bit bushier and when i thought about it, or between the two i felt better about attempting an FIM -- which I've never done before. Here is a before of the plants itself. I FIM'd it after the 4th node.

lk1.png

24hrs later, I have a better picture that shows what I think is the FIM working and the 4 nodes starting to grow out. I don't think I FIM'd it 80% like I read, probably around 50-60% so today when they woke up I got in there a little more and nipped a tad bit more. Still might not be enough but I'm going to sit on it for at least 24 before i attempt it again.

LK1FIM_24.png

And this is a shot of the two of them for comparison purposes. :)

LK_Group.png

Game on....

Have a Long day today and was afraid I might kill them, so I gave in and watered last night. Gave the CK a little. I'm afraid of stunting them being autos, so I gave them enough to make it through the day, or what I think will help them.

The LK I gave them a good soaking because I was really wondering what the runoff was,, both tested nice and yellow, I'd say 5.5-6.5. They look good. Next time I won't water them until they wilt, by then I'll have more confidence in the correct way. I think the misting caused the issues and not the PH. I think I have some good soil. Drained good. Can't wait to get home tonight and see what they did today....

Thanks for stopping by folks, feel free to chime in if you want.

Not much to report, that's good, I think.

2014-12-01_22_03_26.jpg

Day23_png.jpg

Day 23 for oldest one, that's from sprout.

I think I messed up the first FIM, but it's repairing so let's hope for the best, looks like two. But, since I screwed up the first two,, I decided to try again, I actually did four more branches - both branches on the first node, and the third node up. Gotta learn someway. :)

She looks much better an hour later or when I'm typing this, I think I got it right this time. I wore gloves, but that was a lot of playing around with her.

This picture shows right after I did it and she looks pissed. I might have messed around too much, hope she doesn't grow a sack, or nanners.

Otherwise not much, LK2 I haven't touched, it's starting to climb up and the lower nodes are shooting towards the lights.

CK1 looks great, CK2 is a bit smaller, but a day younger.

I got my PPM and EC meter, it's a Digital Aid.

Can't find a conversion rate.

I did some testing to get some data points.

I list first PPM then EC reading for :

Right from the tap 132 ppm 2.63 ec
From my filtered fridge 117/235
Boiled from the tap 161/132 - after it cooled to 73°
Boiled from my filtered fridge 162/320 - cooled to 74°
Sitting in container, from tap, left over night 129/257
PH'd store bought Distilled water 133/267
PHd store bought Distilled water with super thrive 133/270
The mixture I used for week one feeding, remixed but not used this week 132/259

Those water numbers mean anything to anyone???:peace:

QUESTION
When I feed, and the dose range for say ppm is 350-420 -- that is divided by the number of wkly doses? So, if I feed twice it's the sum of that dose rate? I'm using the fix farms three pack....

Thanks, happy gardening - stay green my friends. :allgood:

Still haven't watered the lemon kush since Sunday, they are coming along nice. Today I gave my auto candy kush their first soaking, now they are done until they droop. Here is a group shot of my girls. Bella, Stella, Carmella, and Isabella

Bffs_png.jpg

LK1 the FIMd one is looking large and in charge, lots of potential there, day 25 from sprout.

LK1_png.jpg

LK2 LST - is in it for the long haul. Been tucking leaves, right now I count eleven branches or potential bud sites, day 24 from sprout

LK2_png.jpg

Stay green my friends.

:)

Decided to tie down LK1, want to train both if those plants. Both have been LSTd and FIMd. Overall things are good. Got my air scrubber set up, should have done that earlier but it is what it is. All plants looking good.

Guess the photo didn't upload, try that again later........

Group156.jpg

Not the picture I wanted, but this shows me pulling down LK1

Both lemon kush are down, looking good and spreading out nice. Started lst-ing the auto candy kush. Just a little training, recent group shot:
20141211_203754.jpg

Looks like pistols to me on this twenty day old auto candy kush:
20141211_203809.jpg

Learning a lot just reading, thank you all.

Stay green my friends :)

Went to 18/6 today. That's 34, 31, 26, 25 days of 20/4 and/ or 24/7 - which I did the first ten days.

I'll keep them like this till January 10th when I flip them 12/12. Well, I'll wind them down, 16/8 dec 28, then 14/10 jan 4

Still using mh bulb, thinking I'll put the hps in New year's day, happy New year to them.

I untied/trained them all yesterday to let them pull up a bit, relax a few days.

Reading a lot, trying to be patient.

Went to 18/6 today. That's 34, 31, 26, 25 days of 20/4 and/ or 24/7 - which I did the first ten days.

I'll keep them like this till January 10th when I flip them 12/12. Well, I'll wind them down, 16/8 dec 28, then 14/10 jan 4

Still using mh bulb, thinking I'll put the hps in New year's day, happy New year to them.

I untied/trained them all yesterday to let them pull up a bit, relax a few days.

Reading a lot, trying to be patient.

Did you get any of your questions answered about nutes and ppm or anything else? I just stumbled along you journal and thought I would follow along.

Did you get any of your questions answered about nutes and ppm or anything else? I just stumbled along you journal and thought I would follow along.

Not yet, but I'm reading a lot. Thanks for looking. Did my first real feeding of the lemon kush the other day. Day 32 & 29. Gave them ferts mixed in a gallon of ph'd water, went by the fox farm week four schedule, I went half strength, so one and a half tsp of grow big and big bloom per gl. I didn't get a run off with a half gallon (each, I give them I cup at a time, until I use up the gallon), so the other half gallon I just used ph water.

One seemed to like it, the other took a little while. I think I might have messed her up doing to much FIMing. But, I'm going to sit back.

When I fed them, ph going in was 6.28 the run off was 6.47 -- does that mean my soil is acidic? Ppm going in was 647, runoff was 218. EC was 1317 going in, runoff 445. I'm using soil so I'm not sure if EC runoff matters?

I think I'm going to water the candy kush today when they wake, it's been five days, pots light, and meter says they are dry

Not yet, but I'm reading a lot. Thanks for looking. Did my first real feeding of the lemon kush the other day. Day 32 & 29. Gave them ferts mixed in a gallon of ph'd water, went by the fox farm week four schedule, I went half strength, so one and a half tsp of grow big and big bloom per gl. I didn't get a run off with a half gallon (each, I give them I cup at a time, until I use up the gallon), so the other half gallon I just used ph water.

One seemed to like it, the other took a little while. I think I might have messed her up doing to much FIMing. But, I'm going to sit back.

When I fed them, ph going in was 6.28 the run off was 6.47 -- does that mean my soil is acidic? Ppm going in was 647, runoff was 218. EC was 1317 going in, runoff 445. I'm using soil so I'm not sure if EC runoff matters?

I think I'm going to water the candy kush today when they wake, it's been five days, pots light, and meter says they are dry

Well if you have any questions feel free to ask I'll help if I can. I'm not a soil grower but thinking about getting into organic soil. I'm pretty sure you want to lower your ppm if it's coming out to hot. I usually only feed till run off so I never test my minimal run off, I just go by the plant if it shows any signs of a deficiency I'll raise my ppm by 50. I also use RO water because the cleaner the water and more pure the better the plant is going to uptake your nutes. Another thing is if your doing soil you should have to water to much I saw you talking about over watering, I run coco and go about a day and a half with out needing water.

I'm just taking it slow. The lemon kush are spreading out nice, about six to eight inches tall, and almost covered, or stretched across each milk crate. Another month to veg and shape it.

Candy kush is doing good, might be time to hit it with ferts soon

Back
Top Bottom