MattyTrips's Poorman Soil Mystery Grow 2011

MattyTrips

What's up guys? Glad to be part of this great community. I've been doing lots of reading here and I'm finally excited to get my first journal and grow going, so here we go... :thumb:

Space: 3x3 Closet
Container: Started the seedlings in 20oz solo cups gonna transplant to some 2 gal in the future.
Medium: FoxFarms Ocean Forest
Nutes: Gonna go with the FF line.
Lights: Have (2) 23w 6500k cfls in a reflector on each one for now giving me 3220 lumens on each plant. I have 12 more as well as a few 2700k s to mix in once they get going. I'm still working on the set up.
# of plants: 3
Strain: Unknown bag seed from a buddy.
Germinated with a paper towel in a baggy.
Temp: 78F-80F Humid: 42-44&
Using tin foil for now, definitely need to grab some mylar.

I planted these guys on 10/20/11 when the taproot was about 1/4 inch. Have them on 18/6.

Im using a couple fans for circulation and the smell won't be an issue.

room48.jpg

room213.jpg

room311.jpg

Thanks in advance for all the advice and comments. Sorry about the darkness of the pics. I took them with a cell camera.

Enjoy.

:thanks:

Hi guys, heres a quick update and a few more pics when they get approved. I grabbed a digital temp/hum monitor. #1 & #2 ended up being duds. #3 sprouted nicely and has (4) 23w cfls on her. I had 3 more going in a paper towel. I planted #4 after the root was about 1/2" in some soil covered up in the corner. the other 2 are starting to show thseir tips still in the paper towel. Ill try and do another update when the others are planted.

Happy Growing!

:tokin:

Thatoneguyy, yes this will be my first.

Bubbakush...thank you for the tips. I can't thank all you guys enough for sharing all you knowledge and hard work with everyone. I wish I came here years ago. can't find any clones as of yet. I did find one source but all I got was my time wasted so I gave up on that. Hopefully I can get a source thats legit. If not I was thinking of just ordering some seeds and taking care of it myself.

Thanks again and I'll those pics will be up asap.

MattyTrips's Poorman Soil Mystery Grow 2011

You might try raising the lights a bit on those not yet in the seedling stage. The light can dry out the soil and hamper the seedling popping out of the soil. I have had my best luck with baggies over the top for the first week to keep the humidity up. Seedlings do not need much light the first week.

I am subbed and will follow as we both have grows starting the same time.

Good luck

Indeed, keep the lights up (just use them for keeping temperature constant), at least until they've sprouted. It will dry out the top layer of the ssoil. It might also cause the soil to be too warm for the sprouting seedlings.

Once they are up, be careful not to overwater them right away, keeping the soil moist, should be enough. Normally seedlings dont need much air humidity, but it may help them a bit, i never tried. After a couple of days to a week they indeed will be using a bit more light. They really start needing more light after 2 to 3 weeks. From that time on more lights means faster growth generally.

goodluck, and btw take a nail or a hook in the wall, take some rope or something else and tie down the power socket, i r4ally think it's not a good idea keeping it a bottom level.

:welcome:

1970s Grower, thanks and welcome! I'll definitely be following your progress as well. I decided to tape another cup on top until they come out of the dirt. gonna check on those in a few days.
IMG070.jpg

phdtje, thanks for the tips! I ended up mounting the socket to the wall. gonna raise it up as the plants get bigger. there is only light on the one that already sprouted. I have 3 26w (100w eq) 6500k and 1 26w (100w eq) 2700k in reflectors about 3" above. is that too low for now? with the fan and a pan of water in front I was able to get the temp down to 75f through the night. Im thinking of killing the fan an hour before lights out to try and keep up overnight.
IMG0691.jpg

ratatattooey, glad to have you here. hope you enjoy yourself.

I'm already feeling like kid on christmas with those 4 little leaves. lol Ahhh! This is gonna be fun!!!:yahoo:

Welcome dadums, I'm gonna go for a roll of mylar when i get paid on thurs...just threw some foil up in the meantime. Hope you enjoy the grow..thanks for coming

The cup taped on top is a great idea to keep the humidity in until they pop out for some sun. Keep an eye on them. If you had clear cups it might even be a better idea. Still, taping cups is one I had not thought of. As soon as you see green barely poking out, they need a little light ASAP.

I used the same soil as you did this grow for seedlings and I am finding it a tad too hot on the nutes for seedlings. I am seeing a little burn on the leaf edges on some strains. Other strains look fine. I think they will all make it though. I am wondering if your results will be similar to mine. My camera wont pick it up the burn is so slight or I would post a picture. Seedlings are very fragile the first week. Even moving them abruptly can cause them to wilt.

I just got home and checked on the cups, the 4th seed has finally popped out around 3/4'', should i throw her under the lights already?

I just got home and checked on the cups, the 4th seed has finally popped out around 3/4'', should i throw her under the lights already?

Let there be light!

Back
Top Bottom