Maui Wowie

The best sativa's come at a price. That is a long flowering time. Nearly five months as I recall but you got totally baked for five or six hours. In forty plus years of smoking this is one of the top three strains.

Oh yeah, good sativas are a very particular thing, and landraces will only show their power when grown outdoor in a hot climate. Actually the more I read about weed from Hawaii the more I understand that Maui Wowie's excellence was mostly due to grwat soil, which now we'd call High Brix, and perfect climate. Even DJ Short writes that Hawaiian weed grown elsewhere doesn't come close to original thing!

My uncle boy is a Hawaiian Vietnam vet, hippie and paniolo (Hawaiian cowboy). He is also one of the original members of the Banana Patch Colony on Maui back in the 1960's.

I know he has the Kula/Lightning Bolt pakalolo stuff that is more popularly known to the rest of the world as Maui Wowie. He shares pictures with his family and Banana Patch friends who are now on other islands and on the mainland U.S. continent via facebook. LOL, one of those recent pics is of uncle boy embarrassing his big brother reg with his cedar box of cured nugs. The uncles are so cute in that pic. Uncle reg has his eyes closed holding on to his bento lunch while uncle boy is opening his cedar box. I remember uncle reg gathering my other uncles to spy on uncle boy's colony because they wanted to peep at the nudist haole(Caucasians) girls, much to the dismay of my mom and aunties.

Maui Wowie has kept my uncle boy young and helped him manage PTSD. Uncle boy is now in his 70's and I have 1st cousins under the age of 10 who could be my grand kids if I had grand kids.

hi. i was wondering about hawaiian weed. and i had read, more than ounce, that the war on weed there, had virtually eliminated all the native streins. and that all that was there, was weed that had been imported, and grown there. of course, any smoke would grow well there. so whats the scoop? when i started this hobby, i was gifted a indica type plant, with dark leaves, that were fairly narrow, and large buds. some of the largest i have had, if not the largest. i was new at it, and he never told me it was a hermer. so i had a few seeds, here, and there. the smoke was very nice. very flavorfull, and thick, solid buds. it was not especially strong weed, but this was one endearing factor, for a few of my freinds. if i hadent of been a hermer, id of kept it. all he called it, was hawaiian. so. what company has real seed from the islands? id like to try some sometime.

Is there someone old enough here, who smoked and grew his way through 60's, 70's or early 80's and remembers how Maui Wowie really looked? I'm growing a sativa-dominant strain called Hawaiian Skunk Haze (Maui Wowie x Skunk #1 theoretically), and I got that kind of pheno.

hsh31.jpg

hsh4.jpg

hsh5.jpg

I grew it back in texas in the 80s and it doesnt look like that...my enternodes where much closer and the plant had a christmas tree look ....yours has more stretch and more indica growth pattern but sativa leaves....good luck!

CAM04157.jpg
Here is the maui wowie i got in California, might be the same kind u got. I just posted q thread on this and i had just seen this thread

Brotherhood of Eternal Love never really dealt with Colombian weed, their trade was Afghan hash which they imported in tons, hash oil later on, and Sinaloan weed. Maui Wowie was straight Mexican sativa x Afghan Kush cross :surf::smokin:

The book was quite detailed I'd say, and even if it's not THE TRUTH it's close enough to it:

0012585.jpg

But I never smoked it or grew it!

Ok, so how can we explain non-existence of cannabis before late 60s on Hawaii? I mean that's what I read, and I thought it was a fact. Anyway how long has this line been growing there?

PuaMana, I'm finding you posting information about your Hawaiian strains in every forum I pop around, it seems that you are trying to position yourself as a Hawaiian guru but the funny thing is that after all this intersting info about Hawaiian genetics, at the end of the day you are clearly trying to do business with those an your upcoming seedbank.

Looks like spamming to me, so please stop trying to take advantage on growers and get your seedbank noticed by the community.

Peace.

PuaMana, I'm finding you posting information about your Hawaiian strains in every forum I pop around, even after you got your threads deleted on

I don't really pay any attention to other cannabis-related forums, and like any other story about the (modern) history of cannabis, I have no way of knowing whether what I have just read is true or not.

But it was an interesting read, nonetheless. Much of it could be true. I'd question the statement about surfing having been invented in Hawaii, though, since people were shown doing it in carvings that were created ~2,000 years ago in the pre-Incan Moche culture in the area around what, today, is northern Peru. And the Polynesians might have surfed before they ever set foot on the Hawaiian Islands for all I know. My guess is that surfing was invented... wherever young men and coastal waters met.

it seems that you are trying to position yourself as a Hawaiian guru but the funny thing is that after all this intersting info about Hawaiian genetics, at the end of the day you are clearly trying to do business with those an your upcoming seedbank.

Pretty much everyone that has ever been involved in the industry has a story or two. I do not think that the telling of them could be considered a breach of our guidelines. As long as the member does not start trying to advertise via forum posts, attempt sales via posts (or PMs), et cetera, he's probably fine. If he is trying to start - or ramp up to commercial status - his own seedbank, perhaps a little encouragement might be in order, lol. Lots of the "old-school" breeders are retiring (or have already done so), and some of the newer breeders seem to be like young soldiers getting their first visit to a whore house... or an unneutered cat (spraying anything and everything in site)... Ripping off two breeders strains and crossing them, then selling the results, stuff like that. Even the older seed breeders have lost much of their stock from busts, falling out among (former) partners, screw-ups, or just bad luck.

If/when he "goes commercial," maybe he would be interested in becoming a sponsor, lol?

We had a couple local strains (which would be considered naturalized, I suppose, rather than landraces - but still older than half the forum members) that were pretty popular and known far & wide, that pretty much disappeared for the same reasons (gene muddling and eradication efforts). Other areas have, as well. Much of the information strikes a chord.

Looks like spamming to me

There does appear to be a bit of "sameness" to his posts, lol. What's up with that? Do you have any other stories?

Pretty much everyone that has ever been involved in the industry has a story or two. I do not think that the telling of them could be considered a breach of our guidelines. As long as the member does not start trying to advertise via forum posts, attempt sales via posts (or PMs), et cetera, he's probably fine. If he is trying to start - or ramp up to commercial status - his own seedbank, perhaps a little encouragement might be in order, lol. Lots of the "old-school" breeders are retiring (or have already done so), and some of the newer breeders seem to be like young soldiers getting their first visit to a whore house... or an unneutered cat (spraying anything and everything in site)... Ripping off two breeders strains and crossing them, then selling the results, stuff like that. Even the older seed breeders have lost much of their stock from busts, falling out among (former) partners, screw-ups, or just bad luck.

If/when he "goes commercial," maybe he would be interested in becoming a sponsor, lol?

I'm feeling you about the newschool seedmakers (those aren't real breeders though) but i don't see how speculating with rare (or almost extinct) genetics or even simply legendary names is any better than speculating with trendy or elusive elite-clones or selling S1s from them a stellar prices like most modern companies also do.

If the issue is preservation, get the genetics back in the scene, share them, make then more widely available and that's it... thats what people have been doing for years with the Dalat, Vietnam Black, Lemon Thai, Molokai Frost, Colombian gold, Panama Red, Oaxacan, Jamaican Lamsbread and so on. Well wait, why not making a nice story and trying to make a quick buck on something other's don't have? Or at least pretend that no one else have access to them so if they want the real deal the must buy from us? lol.

I guess it really depends if a breeder wants to make his works available or simply make business, get the props and the easy money. Stories are nice though, but when there are hidden commercial interests behind, they loose all the credibility in my opinion as it simply become nice marketing stories. Same messages were posted all over I C Mag too but they didn't last too long.

And annoucing Maui, Punna Butter or Kona for $100-200 per packet looks simply ridiculous to me. They are just marketing names. Not even Reeferman does that nowadays lol. I'm wondering if the seeds are even legit...

Unfortunately this is what the cannabusiness has became after all this legalization thing, a green rush! Back in the days selling ounces was cool but nowadays no one wants to take risks, so anybody with a nice internet connection, enough free time to spend on forums and a tent can become a breeder lol.

Sorry but after many years in the scene and researching on the history of Cannabis breeding I've become naturally skeptic.

Peace.

Wow... talk about "bringing back some good memories" (sigh)
I am born-and-raised here in Hawaii and remember the good-ol-days when we had the rep for "the BEST smoke around", and being the "unofficial,self-appointed Mayor of Waikiki" I would meet people on a daily basis looking for one thing, and one thing only on their vacation and that was true, pure Hawaiian "Pakalolo" which was grown, and passed out freely among friends. Damn, Bro... we NEVER paid for bud...another example of the "Aloha" which is one of the many things that makes my home so very special.
The sad-but-true fact is that the pure old-school Hawaiian strains here in the island are a thing of the past.:rip: Growing wild here in the mountains and valleys with no worries soon gave way to rip-offs, cops in helicopters (operation Green Harvest) and the irresponsible growers who would not pull or move their males which eventually led to cross pollenization eventuallu wiping out our "pure" Maui-Wowies, Kauai Electrics, Kona Golds and other legendary Hawaiian strains. I check out the "uncles" and all the old timers with ABSOLUTELY no luck in finding seeds or genetics close to comparing with the stuff that made Hawaiian Pakalolo legendary (sobbing uncontrollably).
Its great to see that some breeders are bringing back the strains that legends were made of but honestly... I have to question the validity of the breeds "pureness".
With that being said... I wish I could've shared that nug with ya'
Aloha No
Great stuff! I had a buddy back in the 70’s who had family in Maui and shared those sweet little buds he called Maui Wowee. Boy, did we look forward to his trips to the Islands! Best stuff we ever had, along with the occasional Thai Stick or Colombian Gold. I grew some Nirvana Maui Waui and it does remind me a bit of that distinctive smell and flavor. But back in the day, Maui Wowee, Puna Buds, Kona Gold were the top shelf...

I have a strain called Hawaii Maui Waui from Sativa seeds. should be here in a couple of weeks. I am looking forward to it and am now even mow excited. thanks for the post!!
I got a single seed from them too. I'd be interested in seeing your grow. Im not going to be popping mine anytime soon

Back
Top Bottom