Hey bud! Yes I chased that runoff ph shizz right into the ground. Killed em all. That’s why I like the county boy in dirt thang! I appreciate you giving me shit tho, never knew you cared! Ha.

It’s always good to have at least a little bit of runoff.

No, soil is the way for me to grow... however need to increase skills plus yields and speed to harvest. Hempy is just one tool to help get there. I will always prefer soil, hands-down no question. Due to bad advice from local grow shop at startup; I bought air pumps, buckets & net pots so I have all the hydro gear except for ec/ppm meter. See Bluter & crew at Hilarious Hempsters they are conjuring monsters out a 2 liter soda bottle

Hempy is back burner project for now, I will get there eventually. But was planning for this next grow to run soil & hempy side by side just for giggles & shit. Gladly run these autos in soil.

Hey I found my beans dude! Had them in a giant scent-proof foil bag, found it behind the headboard other day. Guess I was dreaming of beans. Still don’t have any idea how they got jammed in there. Stoned much? Yes! but behind the fucking headboard?? Whatevs right?

The last part is I killed everything I touched in hydro - recirc, dwc and coco too. I couldn’t bubble a bud if my life depended on it - so I want to beat that and rub its nose in it. Know what I’m saying?
I hear you. I’m on the lookout for a method that’ll let me leave the grow to look after itself if I want to head off camping with the kids for a few days. It also needs to be not too complex so a knucklehead like me can work it out. Been looking at RDWC a bit but I’ve figured that it doesn’t fit the knucklehead criteria...

Just do a large tote DWC. You can leave it for days. Once you get the hang of it you will know if you pH is rising or falling and you can adjust up or down a bit so it will level out over the next few days. Ive left DWC / Rockwool method for 4-5 days with no negative effect and fine when I got back. The more gallons of water you have in your reservoir the more stable it will be. I like at least 20 gallons for long term for one nice sized plant.

I hear you. I’m on the lookout for a method that’ll let me leave the grow to look after itself if I want to head off camping with the kids for a few days. It also needs to be not too complex so a knucklehead like me can work it out. Been looking at RDWC a bit but I’ve figured that it doesn’t fit the knucklehead criteria...

I smell a new project.. and I'm keen af to see it :p

I smell a new project.. and I'm keen af to see it :p
I really need to get a couple of harvests under my belt before I start complicating things...

I use a 100 liter tote from bunnings and the canna auqa nutes have ph stabilizers so you set and forget.

Good move with the hps it’s pretty cold here in vic, I’m running a 600hps and a 200W full spec led in me other tent keeps it about 22c when it’s 5c outside.

Hit ebay for the air stones and air pump my whole build was about $90 bucks.
G'day Gazza. Thanks for the visit. Keen to see your setup. Are you going to start a journal?

My 3rd V8 was a HZ Prem 308:headbanger: Was a great cruiser

I’m intrigued by the formats dwc, rdwc, nft, aquaponics, hempy, hydro so, so many ways to grow. And while I don’t mind mixing a batch of nutes at all..., I fucking hate the ph stuff and the complications. Call me sudden death - I can kill off some hydro plants quick. That’s why I went to soil to begin with! I’ve got good stash pile built up and later on back burner I’ll run that hempy - learn something new

Yes McRib that’s it, nail down a stash pile & only then do test runs outside your comfort zone

I’m intrigued by the formats dwc, rdwc, nft, aquaponics, hempy, hydro so, so many ways to grow. And while I don’t mind mixing a batch of nutes at all..., I fucking hate the ph stuff and the complications. Call me sudden death - I can kill off some hydro plants quick. That’s why I went to soil to begin with! I’ve got good stash pile built up and later on back burner I’ll run that hempy - learn something new

Yes McRib that’s it, nail down a stash pile & only then do test runs outside your comfort zone

Haha, Once you get it, its not to bad. The key is to always mix your nutrient solution first, then take your pH, then adjust it accordingly. I will tell you right now, If you dont have a good pH pen/monitor, You can and will have a hard time. I have used those cheap pH pens you see everywhere for years on and off. Trying to get them calibrated. always at least a few points off on pH. They suck. Get a blue lab, Apera, or a name brand one. It makes it so easy.

Once you understand how big your res is and how much you have to adjust your pH you can know exactly how much up or down to put in. I use a 10 ML syringe for my pH buffer.

I have used those cheap pH pens you see everywhere for years on and off. Trying to get them calibrated. always at least a few points off on pH. They suck. Get a blue lab, Apera, or a name brand one. It makes it so easy.

spot on!!

I look at the constant testing of ph for coco, would be harder and more time consuming, sure u get that buffer but I can’t see it being any easier.

It’s like anything the more you do it the easier it gets, im not knocking coco grows love the tree trunks they produce.

I’ve learnt that the bigger and better your root system is the stronger the plant, if I can do dwc anyone can.

I really need to get a couple of harvests under my belt before I start complicating things...

G'day Gazza. Thanks for the visit. Keen to see your setup. Are you going to start a journal?

My 3rd V8 was a HZ Prem 308:headbanger: Was a great cruiser
Yep mate I got one up and running, very simple setup, compared to the aeroponics system I made.

McRib

Gaza, No doubt they grow some monsters quickly in hydro formats. Yes build a ginormous rootball, that rootball will grow a huge plant for you.

Somebody here was doing swick beds which is pretty cool. He grew out plants then in flower he would place grown plants on a tray having about 4 inches of perlite & water. Plants would drink but not over water. Saw video too of person using a cotton wick & bowl of water to wick feed plants for couple days of absence. Neat stuff

RDWC is perfect for a knucklehead. There is a couple things that need to be addressed though. You need to have a decent understanding of pH... it sounds like this was the very problem 013 was having, but its not so bad if you go through it with someone who can help you. If you build your system yourself you have the intimate knowledge of every part and the ability to fix it. This style of growing isn't cheap though. A water and air pump, RO filter, and all the shit that makes up your system. And all the shit you would need to grow in soil.

If you want to go camping for a few days this style of growing is perfect. I have gone a week with no issues. There is some prep involved though. Start with a fresh pot of nutrients. If i was using Silica I would stop for that week for pH reasons. I would set my pH very low... 4.8 or so. My pH always rises. I would set my environment in preparation for hot weather (I grow in a shed). Then I grab my fishing gear... Bobs your uncle. Do they say that down there?

It would be hard to automate this style of grow, but once you know the how and why of deep water culture you'll be tapped in to the highest producing method of growing there is. I have plenty of pictures if you're interested.

Hey @Stltoed . Thanks for dropping in :) . I've started collecting parts for a DWC grow. I was thinking of trying just one or two plants sitting on top of a 100L reservoir. This would avoid the water pump and plumbing. I'll be flowering in a 4 foot x 4 foot tent under a 600W HPS or 480W quantum board style LED. What do you reckon?

Also, do you think RO water is a necessity for DWC? Where I live has some of the purest tap water in the world. It doesn't even register on my truncheon EC meter.

Then I grab my fishing gear... Bobs your uncle. Do they say that down there?
Love my fishing too. Roberts your fathers brother:)

I have plenty of pictures if you're interested.
I've been checking out your latest journal and will work my way through your old ones. Love your work:thumb:

Hey @Stltoed . Thanks for dropping in :) . I've started collecting parts for a DWC grow. I was thinking of trying just one or two plants sitting on top of a 100L reservoir. This would avoid the water pump and plumbing. I'll be flowering in a 4 foot x 4 foot tent under a 600W HPS or 480W quantum board style LED. What do you reckon?

Also, do you think RO water is a necessity for DWC? Where I live has some of the purest tap water in the world. It doesn't even register on my truncheon EC meter.

Love my fishing too. Roberts your fathers brother:)

I've been checking out your latest journal and will work my way through your old ones. Love your work:thumb:
I would say adding a reservoir would be a huge benefit.. you won't have to crawl under your plants to add water, feed, take measurements. Plus more water makes pH stability easier.

2 plants is a good number for DWC. I tend to like the Indica based hybrids because they don't normally grow to monster... although, my season now is outta line. I have 4 right now.

As for lights, HPS can get the job done, but tents tend to get really hot. If you go with HPS be sure to use silica. If you have access to Botanicare, their Silica Blast is an easy one to start with. Silica will help you with heat issues if you go this way. Little story... im using an HPS and a CMH right now. One of my plants is a bit of a monster, and grew to the reflector. The light is running at 875watts and the bud didn't burn. It foxtailed, but no real issues. I love Silica. Ive never used Quantum Boards, but I've never heard a bad thing about them, and the results are very good, when done right. You won't have the heat issues like HPS thats for sure.

Its not a deal breaker if you don't go RO. If your devolved solids are under 100 you won't miss anything. I use it because some of my nutrients don't play nice at all with other elements. I need to have very pure water to prevent a lockout bloom when I add the first nutrient. RO filters are ridiculously expensive, and they nail you in the ass again when you need new membranes. If your water is good... your good. I do recommend an autofill valve. They are $12 and the coolest attachment you'll ever own. You will need a regulator to bring the pressure down to about 80 PSI, but thats it.

Haha good old Bob!

I'm flattered! This season is almost over. Really curious to see a final weight. There is a fairly comprehensive write up on my hydro rig in my sig. One of my Lemon Skunk plants did over a pound, in one of those grows. The plant next to it was over 10oz, so my 2 plants that season did 27oz. That was a fun.

Cheers

24 days from flip

Was hoping to see more bud development by now but it’s starting to get there I guess. It’s supposed to be a 55 day strain... we’ll see. I think the plants look healthyish. I gave them a big defol yesterday and got rid of a lot of skinny stems that wouldn’t really do much. I probably could have gotten rid of more but a felt like I was throwing away buds...

Do they look ok?

D71FE587-5EC7-4F1C-B5F8-E921B1D8B09C.jpeg

DE7BEBDF-C716-4D46-9A22-03F1E0D39B20.jpeg

16AD0BE4-F17F-4786-B5CC-9C096C0048D3.jpeg

E5E6DB01-1AB9-4EB3-80CC-547AD1EDB2F4.jpeg

FD4EEC63-B060-4199-ABAD-0ABF696D788A.jpeg

EA28E282-EB45-4F15-BDAD-E7FBDFA0C380.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom