Measuring Calcium & Magnesium Levels - Coco Noir

Re: Supplementing with Calcium and Magnesium Carbonate

Ahar!...You know us Brits then! I seriously think that in the truest sense, you speak better English than we do. Thant's coming from someone who can't understand anyone 'up north' let alone Scotland or Wales.

So you use tinctures?.......Is there anyway you can maybe compare the effects of tictures to smoking? I think I'm going to make my first ever batch alcohol based (you wanna swop Everclear for whiskey?) and then I will look into the hydraulic press method for later. A press decent of doing the job here in the UK, is going to cost upwords of $600. Are tinctures good, do they work is really what I'm asking?

I have posted 3 pics tonight in the members section, maybe I should look for the link & put it here, on a post.....

Anyway for now I think I'll sign off (it's half past 4 am)

Cheers bud. G'night.

Re: Supplementing with Calcium and Magnesium Carbonate

> I seriously think that in the truest sense, you speak better English than we do.
What struck me again and again with my Brit co-workers was that their emails and reports were all much better written than the average American's. Since they were from all over England and Wales I just assumed that the level of writing instruction must be much better there. Americans not only have some pretty low academic standards, we have a strong strain of anti-intellectualism... but don't get me started. Next I'll be going off on the gits that voted that horrible little man president.

Yes, I make, use, and like tinctures. I also vape and like that for something quick, but dosing tincture and going for a long hike in the park is my idea of a good time. As I mention in the notes, decarbing at 220 F for 100 minutes does the job without the smell and evaporating all the active principle. Then just give it a good soak in the highest proof alcohol you can get your hands on. I do two washes to get it all.

As for effects, it always reminds me of when I used to use more powerful substances long ago--a clean, clear high with none of that awful smoking, coughing, congestion, etc. It just takes an hour to get started... but yes, they do work.

Doing the math helps. If good bud is 15% THC, then an ounce--28 grams--has 4.2 g of THC. If you have 4200 mg of THC in 420 ml of ethanol, you have 10 mg per ml--about 50 drops--a good starting point for "self-titrating" the dose. That process used to seem so mysterious to me and I'd never know what the right dose was, and you still have to do some testing to figure the final dose because of variations in potency and extraction efficiency, but it really is pretty easy to get it in the ballpark.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions. Oops, you can't PM until you get up to 50 posts. Better get busy. ;)

Have you looked at the hair straightener extraction videos on YouTube? They look pretty cheap and effective, and kind of silly and fun. I would think you'd want to use some really resiny herb...

YouTube

Hi Scientific, I'm going back a little here but when you say a ppm meter are you referring to a TDS (Total Disolved Solids) meter?

Yikes! just had a look at my tomatos and I've got Trichomes!!! YeeeHaaaA!!.............Hope it's not painful! I'll post a close up on here tomorrow. I'm buzzin' and I haven't even got that far yet.....

I might just go down the hair straightener route, I watched the vid you posted, it seems pretty simple. Now I have to decide when to harvest & hang them for a while.

Hey?....I hope you don't mind me firing all these questions at you but just to be clear on one thing when making a tincture......I have to bake the buds at 240C for maybe 40 mins to extract the THC? Will they not burn in an oven that hot?

Thanks for helping me out mate, I owe you one.

I might just go down the hair straightener route, I watched the vid you posted, it seems pretty simple.

I watched a bunch of rosin extraction videos today, even ones for $1000 20,000 PSI machines. This video gives a pretty good overview too, including dismantling the straightener and using a clamp. Like I said, it's a pretty comical process. ;)

YouTube

Hey?....I hope you don't mind me firing all these questions at you but just to be clear on one thing when making a tincture......I have to bake the buds at 240C for maybe 40 mins to extract the THC? Will they not burn in an oven that hot?

Nah, I enjoy chatting about this stuff (pretty obviously after > 2,000 posts). ;)

There is a huge, 800+ post thread over in edibles about the best way to extract and decarb. I don't know if they're ever going to come to a conclusion. (I dropped off a while ago.) Here it is if you're curious. : Decoding The Holy Grail: Terpene & Cannabinoid Retention - Decarb to Extraction

I'd really recommend 220F (NOT C!) for 100 minutes for a long, slow decarb. In fact you can (and I have) successfully decarboxylated the herb in just a double boiler. Lower temps for a longer times prevents excessive loss of volatiles and keeps the process from getting too smelly.

Have fun!

I live in uk also and have been growing in coco for years. There are lots of diff calmags for sale. I use Plant Vitality calmag, you dont need to use calimagic. Just be careful if making your own. Its far easier to buy the required pieces needed in the beginning then once you kkow what you are doing you can try making nutes and experiment. Ive seen lots people making own additives and nutes over the years with varying success but i think if you are going to grow hydroponically then you should start off just using the nutes thag are available off the shelf. If budget is the issue just use soil as the medium mate.

Also if you use a quality base nutrient like Advanced Nutrients ph perfect 3 part you dont need to add calmag if using tapwater. Onlu if using reverse osmosed water.

Hmmm... I respectfully disagree on that one. Where I live, the water out of the tap is so soft that it is essentially RO water. We have almost no Ca in our water at all, so if you need Ca/Mg for RO, you're prolly gonna need it for areas with very soft water too, methinks...

Depends how soft. I have 0.2ec tap water or 100ppm and have never needed calmag growing in coco with that using advanced nutes ph perfect or with ionic nutrients.

If its ro water you must use calmag.

Ive grown in diff parts of the world and ive grown 10's thousands of plants in coco and only needed calmag with shitty base nutes.

> Depends how soft. I have 0.2ec tap water or 100ppm and have never needed calmag growing in coco with that using advanced nutes ph perfect or with ionic nutrients.

Mine's about 22 PPM, and that's only because the water utility adds Ca to harden the water a little to protect the pipes.

> Ive grown in diff parts of the world and ive grown 10's thousands of plants in coco and only needed calmag with shitty base nutes.

Well that's a good reference database! I was using GH FloraSeries and definitely needed to dose Ca/Mg.

@22ppm thats pretty much RO water and of course you should always check your base water before adding any nutes. Its unusual for any (tap) water to come out less than 50ppm and its likely down to whatever filtration process the water plant is using.

I guess i should say any water with ppm under 100ppm should be supplemented with calmag when growing in coco coir.

> Its unusual for any (tap) water to come out less than 50ppm and its likely down to whatever filtration process the water plant is using.

There are over a million people drinking the stuff. It comes like that right down from the mountains. Lots more of it falling today, too...

Back
Top Bottom