Medical Grow

Well, we're making progress on the new room! Here are some basic features:

I a now growing "professionally" for people who need safe, healthy medical MJ. In order to do this, I needed some resources....namely a larger room and the ability to put some plants (mostly males) outside.

I'm going to shoot for what I call "reputation building" product; not only for people who need it right now, but looking ahead to legalization, I want to have a future in Cannabis....like a small, boutique winery. So, I better start learning right now!

We'll be breeding. We'll have 3 or 4 house strains and add things when something interests us. I'll also be building a seed bank. (got help for this) And finally, in the coming months I'll be providing young nursery plants for people who want to grow their own.

At this point, I don't want to say more about my business structure, business plan, etc. I'll only say this: We're legal, we aren't advertising, and we're all physicians, except for a PhD and a civil engineer. We're doing this for the "right" reasons.....not just for money. (we all make good money in our day jobs.)

So, here's an update on the room:
All lights are on 220. Fans are on 110.
3 Lumatek 1000 watt HPS lights, vented hoods, on movers.
1 New Wave 8 bulb T5 for seedlings
Co2
Sentinel, digital controller, with remote sensor will manage the environment and link everything together for us.
fans, dehumidifiers and possible AC for warm summer months.
We've sealed the room and hung Panda.
We're on a well, PPM's are in the 500 range, PH 6.5.
I'll be testing the TA very soon, but this water is growing fantastic vegetables.

Because I'm about 2 weeks behind schedule, I'll probably run some clones through while seeds are sprouting.

We're going to be growing 12/12 from seed, starting new seeds every 3 weeks or so....as soon as sex can be determined from the previous seeds, then we'll move the girls under the big lights.

For edibles (great choice for folks who are too sick to cough, etc.) we'll probably grow in hempy buckets, because it's cheap and easy, with good yield.

For smoke, I'll be attempting to make a "secret" soil blend, which I'll share with all of you.

One of our members has been growing for 35 years and I know a few other seasoned pro's....so I've got a bit of a brain trust to draw on, in addition to my own passion.

I feel very, very positive about this new endeavor!

IMG_10266.JPG

IMG_10279.JPG

IMG_10289.JPG

IMG_10297.JPG

IMG_10309.JPG

Next step, install the environmental controls and Co2, then fire the whole thing up and check temps, RH, etc.

The tables will be raised to waist level, we just had them on the ground to help position the lights.

Looks and sounds sweet!

Front row seat for this one!

:popcorn:

Very nice Doc!!
I love to see the progression, it seems like just yesterday you where running blue dream, now you're going to be breeding!! I can tell you're a smart motivated person, with the right drive, and I am stoked to have your brain apart of the cannabis movement. I hope to one day run a creation from your farm.
Also, I am impressed with the movers + Air cooling, that aspect always made me shy away from movers. Are the movers timed to move together so there's no slack in the vents?
+reps 5stars!!

Great set up doc.i'm in for the ride:welldone:HH

Thanks!

Very nice Doc!!
I love to see the progression, it seems like just yesterday you where running blue dream, now you're going to be breeding!! I can tell you're a smart motivated person, with the right drive, and I am stoked to have your brain apart of the cannabis movement. I hope to one day run a creation from your farm.
Also, I am impressed with the movers + Air cooling, that aspect always made me shy away from movers. Are the movers timed to move together so there's no slack in the vents?
+reps 5stars!!

There is only one mover, but 3 sections of track. A piece of rebar is attached to the mover and a "car" on the other two tracks. This way, all 3 lights move as one. The ducting at either end have enough flex to allow this. It's works very well.

Your new digs look great Doc! Very clever arrangement arrangement with the light mover. :bravo:
Your gonna have some very happy plants there before long (with OC+ and all the light they can soak up!).:yahoo:
I'll be checking the Attitude Seed Bank for that hot new strain -- MoFlo from DocBud Farms :)

Hey Doc,

Looking very nice, What are you going to do for CO2. Generator or tank? I am done w/ my new room as well. I thought about a light mover for my garden but I am only allowed to grow 12 plants total. Veg and flower. Not practical in my case.

I am in for sure.:cheer:

hey everyone! thanks for the kind words!

Tonite we should have everything finished. It's really hot here right now....102 during the day....

Yesterday, the high temps were 82 degrees during the day, and 66 at night, with no lights on. So, tonite we'll run all 3 lights for 12 hours and see what happens to the temps. I'm hoping to NOT have AC....but we've got one if needed.

As far as Co2 goes, I've got a CAP 4 burner generator that runs on propane.

I'm still trying to decide exactly what I'm going to grow first.....hoping I can run a few clones in order to catch up.

As far as seeds go, I'm looking at:

1.)Blue Dream
2.)Flo
3.)Blue Cheese
4.)Violator Kush
5.)Bubba Kush
6.)Skunk/Sour diesel

The idea is to have 20 plants SOG-style under each light, with 50 under the T5 until sex can be determined.

I'll take the best female and breed it to the best male to perpetuate the seed bank. Then, I'll do the same with some other genetics till I have a good little assortment of seeds.

There are a couple of crosses I really, really want to experiment with:

blueberryxflo (floberry?)
JTRxFlo (I'll call it flipper)

Flo is strange stuff.....you can't really tell you're high unless you really think about it. You just know that nothing hurts, you're happy, and you feel 20 pounds lighter with all kinds of energy. It's quite unique.

Hey Doc - curious on overall height of room and how much adjust-ability for table height. My only grow had me cutting off table height as I ran out of space on 7'6" tent w/ supposed Sour Diesel that shot up.
Also, what is the overall run on your rebar run for 3 lamps.
I'm still digesting your 'unlucky' blog and dreaming of similar outcome.

As is often stated, thanks for sharing. Glad you're out there!

hey everyone! thanks for the kind words!

Tonite we should have everything finished. It's really hot here right now....102 during the day....

Yesterday, the high temps were 82 degrees during the day, and 66 at night, with no lights on. So, tonite we'll run all 3 lights for 12 hours and see what happens to the temps. I'm hoping to NOT have AC....but we've got one if needed.

As far as Co2 goes, I've got a CAP 4 burner generator that runs on propane.

I'm still trying to decide exactly what I'm going to grow first.....hoping I can run a few clones in order to catch up.

1.)Blue Dream
2.)Flo
3.)Blue Cheese
4.)Violator Kush
5.)Bubba Kush
6.)Skunk/Sour diesel

The idea is to have 20 plants SOG-style under each light, with 50 under the T5 until sex can be determined.

I'll take the best female and breed it to the best male to perpetuate the seed bank. Then, I'll do the same with some other genetics till I have a good little assortment of seeds.

Flo is strange stuff.....you can't really tell you're high unless you really think about it. You just know that nothing hurts, you're happy, and you feel 20 pounds lighter with all kinds of energy. It's quite unique.

Hey Doc - curious on overall height of room and how much adjust-ability for table height. My only grow had me cutting off table height as I ran out of space on 7'6" tent w/ supposed Sour Diesel that shot up.
Also, what is the overall run on your rebar run for 3 lamps.
I'm still digesting your 'unlucky' blog and dreaming of similar outcome.

As is often stated, thanks for sharing. Glad you're out there!

The ceiling is 9 feet. I can move the lights up to about 7.5 feet. We'll not be having any issues of headroom, and considering my total grow area is 12x4....48sqft:

3000watts/48=62.5 watts per sqft. That should do 'er.

Thanks for quick reply!
On your seedlings, what height did you maintain using the T-5?
So much to learn...
Also, how old were they before 12/12 w/ 1000 - I'm guessing close to 21+ days.
I'm running my seedlings @ 18/6 for now; they're 6-days old today after peeking up. Embarrassed to say I used paper towels and waited too long on couple. It's been 35-years since I tried from seed!

Thanks for quick reply!
On your seedlings, what height did you maintain using the T-5?
So much to learn...
Also, how old were they before 12/12 w/ 1000 - I'm guessing close to 21+ days.
I'm running my seedlings @ 18/6 for now; they're 6-days old today after peeking up. Embarrassed to say I used paper towels and waited too long on couple. It's been 35-years since I tried from seed!

I ran the seeds under T5 until I could determine sex. 12/12 from the get go....about 21-26 days if I recall. They had 7 or so sets of leaves.

DB, M.D. is In Da House! :slide:

I'm a 43 year old physician, who hasn't smoked much since the late '70's early 80's. I'm not violating any state laws and this grow is for legitimate medical purposes...

OK, so I've been reading and studying about 3-4 hours per day for the last 2 weeks, got Cervantes' book, read it twice, been lurking on this forum, talking to friends who grow......

And I'm totally PUMPED to do this. This is a hobby that I can do with a passion....and help some folks at the same time.

So, I've got a 9x7 room with no windows, one door and no ventilation. I just painted the interior white, including the floor. It is insulated with drywall, etc.

Well, we're making progress on the new room!

I a now growing "professionally" for people who need safe, healthy medical MJ. In order to do this, I needed some resources....namely a larger room and the ability to put some plants (mostly males) outside.

I'm going to shoot for what I call "reputation building" product; not only for people who need it right now, but looking ahead to legalization, I want to have a future in Cannabis....like a small, boutique winery...

You've come a long way, baby. :cheer: Gotta start callin' ya California Slim! :)

I always say if you're going to do something, do it right...and you are. No point in going around being half-assed about things. Nice job. +Rep and 5 Stars to you my friend!

So, here's an update on the room:
All lights are on 220. Fans are on 110.
3 Lumatek 1000 watt HPS lights, vented hoods, on movers.
1 New Wave 8 bulb T5 for seedlings...

Running the lights on 220V...smart. Double the volts, halve the amps. A 30A circuit'll give you all the juice you need, with room to grow (no pun intended.) :grinjoint:

Is that you doin' all that electric/work Doc, or are you drawing on expertise from 'The Collective'?

(The Collective - makes that sound like The Borg for some reason...'Your Genetics Will Be Assimilated!')

1.)Blue Dream
2.)Flo
3.)Blue Cheese
4.)Violator Kush
5.)Bubba Kush
6.)Skunk/Sour diesel

(Would it be a little off-color to call the 2nd Flocomelia? Uhh, probably...never mind.)

I love Blue strains, had a few in my old garden several years ago. Was looking at Barney's Vanilla Kush earlier, winner of the 2009 CC also. Supposed to be a much heavier producer than the VK (about 600g/m^2 vs 450). Connoisseur smoke but with decent volume. Your Blue Dream looks very cool, too...

I've got a couple x's I'm interested in doing next year. Most have the potential for being heavy producers as well as potent medicinal strains, and with the current plant # limits by municipality/jurisdiction... Your patients would probably love these too:

Critical Mass x Northern Lights = Critical Lights (Replacement for my old NL x BB, with updated genetics. Could call it Northern Mass, but that sounds like some sort of cancerous lump... :yikes:)

Black Widow x NL = Black Lights/Northern Widow (Used to have one in my ol' garden, too)

Black Widow x Critical Mass = Black Mass (Kinda Occult/Heavy Metal-ish ...maybe Critical Widow? Nah, that sounds like an episode of ER...)

I love naming strains. ;)
-------

About the Flo...I've heard that there's a tendency for some of the phenotypes to give a rather racy, almost paranoid high - which is one reason I've stayed away from it. Any experience with that in your plants, Doc? :wood:

Keep it (mostly) green in there, Doc! I know you will. :smokin:

Good luck mate, :popcorn:

-TL

DB, M.D. is In Da House! :slide:

You've come a long way, baby. :cheer: Gotta start callin' ya California Slim! :)

I always say if you're going to do something, do it right...and you are. No point in going around being half-assed about things. Nice job. +Rep and 5 Stars to you my friend!

Running the lights on 220V...smart. Double the volts, halve the amps. A 30A circuit'll give you all the juice you need, with room to grow (no pun intended.) :grinjoint:

Is that you doin' all that electric/work Doc, or are you drawing on expertise from 'The Collective'?

(The Collective - makes that sound like The Borg for some reason...'Your Genetics Will Be Assimilated!')

I love Blue strains, had a few in my old garden several years ago. Was looking at Barney's Vanilla Kush earlier, winner of the 2009 CC also. Supposed to be a much heavier producer than the VK (about 600g/m^2 vs 450). Connoisseur smoke but with decent volume. Your Blue Dream looks very cool, too...

I've got a couple x's I'm interested in doing next year. Most have the potential for being heavy producers as well as potent medicinal strains, and with the current plant # limits by municipality/jurisdiction... Your patients would probably love these too:

Critical Mass x Northern Lights = Critical Lights (Replacement for my old NL x BB, with updated genetics. Could call it Northern Mass, but that sounds like some sort of cancerous lump... :yikes:)

Black Widow x NL = Black Lights/Northern Widow (Used to have one in my ol' garden, too)

Black Widow x Critical Mass = Black Mass (Kinda Occult/Heavy Metal-ish ...maybe Critical Widow? Nah, that sounds like an episode of ER...)

I love naming strains. ;)
-------

About the Flo...I've heard that there's a tendency for some of the phenotypes to give a rather racy, almost paranoid high - which is one reason I've stayed away from it. Any experience with that in your plants, Doc? :wood:

Keep it (mostly) green in there, Doc! I know you will. :smokin:

Good luck mate, :popcorn:

-TL

Wow! Thanks for the kind words!

It is pretty neat to look back at where I was last September..I've learned a lot, and I'm still learning even more.

Your crosses sound great!

With regard to the electrical, a collective member did that.....I could have done it in half the time, but he did it right! Wait till the next set of pics.....if you want to know how to route cords, I'll show you. My grow partner has a whole 'nuther set of skills in the area of engineering, etc. BTW, the rebar linking up the lights was MY idea!

FLO:

The seeds I have are from a stable strain. It's a strange plant....another collective member has 12 footers in his yard....purple bamboo is what they look like. They smell funny too.....but the effect is awesome!

I've got 9 month cured FLO and Blue Dream....not much of it, but I've got it. Rolling a joint of both of those and smoking it is a bit like having sex....sublime.

Hey Doc. I read through you're entire unlucky grow. It was quite a fantastic read, and took the better part of half a day. You are an awesome grower, and I (and I am sure this goes for almost everyone else too) respect your advice and look up to you.

Awesome info on the Osmocote Plus. Truly.

I was hoping that you could clarify some things for me?

I was wondering about your new grow setup and the soil and nutrients you will be using. Will it be 50/50 Fox Farms and Perlite again along with your micro-nutrient blend and Osmocote Plus, or will you be using a different soil blend?

Also, what are you doing for watering in this grow setup in terms of automatic watering? How do you determine the amount of water to give them and the frequency of the watering when on vacation? I am trying to come up with a way to auto water should I go out of town, and I don't want to drown my plants (or let them dry up).

Please let me know. You're stuff is pretty amazing and I am excited to watch this grow.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom