Medical Marijuana: 2000 Sign Petitions To Put Law On Ballot

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
In just a week, some 2,000 Montanans have signed petitions to let voters in 2012 decide the fate of the more restrictive medical marijuana law enacted this year, referendum backers said Tuesday.

A group called Patients for Reform - Not Repeal recently launched a statewide campaign seeking enough signatures to place Senate Bill 423 on the ballot next year. If it obtains an additional level of signatures by Sept. 30, the law will be suspended until voters can decide whether to retain or reject the statute.

The referendum is part of a three-pronged attack by some medical marijuana businesses and patients.

The Montana Cannabis Industry Association and others challenged the constitutionality of the law in court.

On June 30, District Judge James Reynolds of Helena temporarily blocked some key parts from taking effect until a full hearing is held. One enjoined a provision that would have prevented growers from charging patients to supply them with medical marijuana, while another would have limited the number of patients each provider could grow pot for.

"The temporary injunction is just that," said Rose Habib of Missoula, petitioning coordinator for Patients for Reform - Not Repeal, citing the need for the referendum.

The third effort is a constitutional initiative, proposed by a medical marijuana patient, calling for decriminalizing marijuana in Montana.

So far, Habib said she's trained more than 150 "core volunteers," who in turn have taught 500 more volunteers on how to gather signatures correctly. More than 1,500 other people have volunteered, she said.

Local election officials must verify that those signing the petitions are registered voters so they count.

"It's the largest gathering of volunteers I've ever seen in the 20-plus years I've worked on initiatives," said C.B. Pearson, a Missoula consultant assisting the group.

Speakers said Montanans are upset that the Legislature in SB423 repealed the initiative that 62 percent of voters passed in 2004 to legalize the use of marijuana for certain medical conditions.

"On the front lines of gathering signatures, I've seen that citizens are outraged this initiative was repealed," Habib said.

abb1.jpg

NewsHawk: Jim Behr: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Helena Independent Record (MT)
Copyright: 2011 Helena Independent Record
Details: MapInc
Author: Charles S. Johnson

If anybody has a point of contact so that I can sign this petition, I would be greatful.

Thanks Jim. Two more advocates here are ready to sign the petition.

You can also download copies of it and gather sig's yourself. Just sayin' :cool:

Not yet....they do not have the forms ready to download yet and they need to train the signature gatherers so that all sig's are gathered correctly, in compliance withe state law. This is to ensure that all signatures gathered are above any questions, especially from the opposition.

Back
Top Bottom