Medical Marijuana Ads Target Congressmen Who Oppose Legalization

The General

Democrats this week began a witch hunt for Congressional holdouts who still support federal intervention in states' rights to regulate medical marijuana. Proponents of greater access to medical marijuana were emboldened after a Republican-controlled House voted 219-189 to proscribe the government from enforcing federal marijuana laws that conflict with rapidly changing state laws supported by majorities of the American public. As libertarian met libertine, a quarter of Republican congressmen voted for the provision – with opposition from just 17 Democrats.

Now, progressives are targeting Reps. Andy Harris and Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Democrats from Maryland and Florida, with ads on MSNBC from Americans for Safe Access. Kris Hermes, a spokesman for the progressive group, told The Huffington Post that the attack on Wasserman makes sense, especially given that 90 percent of Floridians support medical marijuana, according to a recent Quinnipiac poll. "The reason for these two particular members of Congress has to do with their especially outspoken opposition to medical marijuana, despite its popular support in their districts," he said. "Although the Rohrabacher-Farr amendment was passed with a solid majority, the influence of these two elected officials is significant, and their efforts to derail a measure supported by the vast majority of Americans is troubling and must be confronted."

Following this initial media exposure, the new ads will run during the next several days on MSNBC to remind voters how Harris, among 17 Democrats in the House, continues to oppose legalization of medical marijuana. The Florida Congressman spoke on the House floor in late May against the bill sponsored by California Reps. Dana Rohrabacher and Sam Farr to deny DEA funding for operations against state-regulated medical marijuana.

"It's the camel's nose under the tent," Harris said, according to Reason and National Journal. The Congressman cited a report published this week by the DEA calling medical marijuana "a means to an end" in gaining legalization for recreational purposes. The historic House vote came just days after delegates to the Democratic State Convention voted overwhelmingly to add support for recreational marijuana to the party platform in a state that has allowed limited distribution of medical marijuana since 1999. And on Wednesday, delegates on the state Republican's temporary platform committee voted to add medical marijuana support, this year, in Texas.

Bag_Of_Cannabis.jpeg

News Moderator - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Medicaldaily.com
Author: Matthew Mientka
Website: Medical Marijuana Ads Target Congressmen Who Oppose Legalization After Vote To Protect States? Rights

Repeal and nullify ALL laws prohibiting cultivation and consumption of cannabis. Why must we fight for something that was never theirs to take away.
Remove the government from the equation…it does not belong…

'My' congressman from Florida recently voted AGAINST medicinal marijuana for veterans. This was my response:

Congressman Posey:

You recently voted AGAINST allowing Veterans Affairs doctors to recommend medicinal marijuana to our veterans.

I was in Federal Prison with Brother Love and several of his followers from the Ethiopian Zion Coptic Church in the 1980's. We had all been convicted of marijuana offenses...separate cases.

While in prison together, I read hundreds of pages of the transcript from his trial. Many are available on the web today.

His defense team was headed by former US Attorney General, Ramsey Clark. The panel of 'expert witnesses,' presented in his defense, included the foremost authorities in medicine of that era. The overwhelming amount of evidence documenting the medicinal benefits of marijuana was staggering.

And, that was in the early 1980's. Now, fully 30 years later, the same lame arguments are still being paraded.

How pathetic.

I find it ludicrous than ANY comfort be denied our veterans.

I am a disappointed American...and, there are lots of us,
Hugh Yonn

If you would like to see how your congressman voted, follow this link:

Tell Congress to end medical marijuana raids!

Back
Top Bottom