Medical Marijuana Business Owner Wants To Move Location, Leoni Township Says No

Truth Seeker

Medical marijuana business owner Anthony Freed wants to move the location of his shop about a block away from its current spot on Ann Arbor Road.

That won't happen.

"If you move out of that place you are out of business, you are grandfathered into that spot," Leoni Township board member Judy Southworth told Freed.

Freed is locked into the location, 3646 Ann Arbor Road, due to a one-year medical marijuana moratorium passed by township officials earlier this year.

The existing businesses, including his, were grandfathered in.

Southworth also sits on the township planning board. She said she doesn't have an issue with the type of business, but there is nothing the township can do at this point.

Earlier this week Freed asked the township board of trustees if they would make an exception. He wants to change locations for several reasons, one of those being security. His shop was broken into June 1. According to police reports, medical marijuana was stolen from his business.

Freed said the location he would like to move to is farther away East Jackson High School and a nearby church. He would also like more space to construct an examining room.

"I don't see the legal reasoning behind the moratorium. I want to move one block away from where I am. Farther away from the church and East Jackson High School," Freed told the township board.

The moratorium prohibits any new businesses from setting up shop in the township for one year. It is set to expire May 2013. It could be extended or a zoning ordinance could be created that would allow medical marijuana businesses to be located in a certain area of the township such as a light or heavy industrial zone.

Leoni Planning Commission members have not decided what they will recommend to the township board yet. They are currently waiting to see what other townships in a similar situation will do.

Until then Freed will have to wait.

Freed offered to purchase a medical marijuana business that is currently up for sale in the township hoping officials would see that as an attempt to decrease the number in the area.

Southworth said she is impressed with Freed's business. She has visited the existing medical marijuana businesses in the township and said she was impressed with all but one.

I was impressed with his and Todd Pickett's," she said.

Pickett owns Sweet Greens on Fifth Street. Pickett is also headed to the general election this November for a seat on the township board.

Freed opened the first medical marijuana dispensary in Michigan in downtown Ypsilanti and is the executive director of the Michigan Medical Marijuana Chamber of Commerce.

"I'm hoping for support from the township," Freed said.

He invited the entire township board to visit his business.

10988936-large.jpg

News Hawk- TruthSeekr420 420 MAGAZINE
Source: mlive.com
Author: Lisa Satayut
Website: Medical marijuana business owner wants to move location, Leoni Township says no | MLive.com

Back
Top Bottom