Medical Marijuana Can Relieve My Pain

Truth Seeker

I would like to voice my concern for the passage of a medical marijuana act. April 20 was Legalization Day, and it has been for years. In 2003 I had my chance to make my plea from the steps of the Iowa State House. Now, Illinois seems poised to pass the bill I have wanted ever since I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.

Eighteen states, plus the District of Columbia currently allow medical marijuana. The Des Moines Register poll of February 2010 showed 64 percent of Iowans support medical marijuana. The most recent nationwide poll from the Pew Research Center showed 52 percent of Americans favor legalizing marijuana. There is an informal group on Facebook known as Iowans' Medical Marijuana Alliance. We deserve to be heard by the mainstream media.

I attended one of the public hearings held by the Iowa Board of Pharmacy in the fall of 2011 that resulted in marijuana being reclassified as a Schedule II drug. There is a medical use for marijuana. The Iowa Legislature in 2003, made up of mostly farmers and lawyers, determined they didn't care what the doctors and pharmacists said and House File 168 did not make it out of committee.

I've been offered out-of-state medical marijuana. When the Illinois law passes, I'm sure I will be offered more. Enforcement will be impossible. Do I stay in Iowa or move to Illinois? We've been taught to think of this as the Quad-Cities — one great hometown. It would be even greater if I was pain-free.

Cannabis_Leaf15.jpg

News Hawk- Truth Seeker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: qctimes.com
Author: Jan McDonald

Back
Top Bottom